Author Topic: What if it's not AN?  (Read 3092 times)

jesday

What if it's not AN?
« on: March 14, 2014, 01:30:41 pm »
I know I'm super premature in being on this board, but I'm going a bit nutty and feeling really lost. Plus I feel so awful and I see no end in sight.

I've been going through a process of elimination for over a year now seeing various doctors. From my GP to Allergist to ENT, and each one passes me onto the next when they are not able to come up with anything. I have finally been referred to a neurologist and had an MRI done a couple of days ago. The problem is I won't be able to get into the neurologist until late May to discuss any results.

I have so much hope the MRI will reveal AN only for the fact that I will finally have an answer and be able to proceed with a course of action. I am more afraid it won't show anything, then where will I be?

I came across AN while internet searching. It's the only thing I've come across that describes so many of my symptoms. I know it is rare, but I just haven't been able to word my symptoms in any other way that doesn't bring me back to AN. Does anyone know of other types of problems that can cause similar symptoms that I could examine? We've already ruled out allergies, thyroid, chronic sinus/ear infections and Meniere's disease.

Am I impatient wanting to know what the MRI revealed now? Should I call my GP who ordered the MRI to see if he can at least tell me something in the meantime of waiting two months for the neurologist? My quality of life is really suffering, but I don't want to be a whiny cry-baby. It's getting harder and harder to put on a happy face around my family.

Any suggestions on how to get through the next couple of months would be greatly appreciated.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: What if it's not AN?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 02:27:47 pm »
The problem is I won't be able to get into the neurologist until late May to discuss any results.

Can't say for sure, but from my personal experience, if your MRI shows an AN your neurologist will be calling you fairly soon.  He/she won't wait until your appt in late May to discuss the results.  ANs don't require immediate treatment (usually) but they aren't the kind of thing that docs take lightly.

When I had my diagnostic MRI I had never heard of an AN and quite frankly didn't expect the results to show anything.  I had the MRI and didn't give it another thought.  I was shocked a day or two later when the ENT who ordered the test called me and said there was "something" in my inner ear canal.

I'm sure you don't want to just assume that no call = no problem, so I'd give it til Monday and if you haven't heard from the neurologist by then you should call him/her. 

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 05:08:39 pm »

Any suggestions on how to get through the next couple of months would be greatly appreciated.

I have one suggestion.

Go to the place where you had the MRI and get a CD with all the images. You are entitled to your records.

If your MRI included contrast you'll have no problem seeing an AN if you have one.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

rupert

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 06:56:22 pm »
You may not have an appointment until May, but the report is already done.  When I have an MRI, copies of the report are also sent to the ENT and my family doctor.  If you are able to see your ENT on a faster schedule he could request the results. Your ENT would be able to go over it with you and then again with the neuro in May.

vegaslady

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 06:30:23 pm »
You can not only get the CD of the images but get a copy of the report.  They'll give it to you for free.  I thought maybe I had an AN, but I don't.  Then the first MRI appeared to show a pineal cyst (similar symptoms).  Second MRI showed everything is okay.  Now it looks like peripheral vertigo...look that one up, again similar symptoms.