Author Topic: Anyone had a particularly difficult experience with ENG test??  (Read 5026 times)

lalehjg

I just got back from and ENG test at Georgetown.  I wasn't expecting much trauma from this test at all, maybe a little bit of dizziness, and I am used to that, so no big deal.  Everything went well until they had to blow warm air and then cold air into my ears with my eyes covered.  I can safely say this was the absolute worst physical experience I have ever gone through!!  I started feeling like I was spinning out of control, and got very very sick to my stomach every time.  It was unbearable vertigo.  Thank God for the wonderful Doctor and Intern who were present and let me squeeze their hands (I hope I didn't hurt them) and talk to them during this process!  After hte test, I could not talk, sit up, turn, walk.  I felt like everything was spinning, and I was sick to my stomach for a long while.  The Doctor and Intern had to both hold me up to walk me to the seating area.  I sat there motionless for about 1/2 hour, and then, it must have been from the stress and exhaustion, I fell asleep on that chair for close to an hour!  Then I was much better and I drove me home.

Has anyone else had an experience close to this??  I am very concerned because I am wondering how treatment (currently scheduled for Cyberknife) is going to affect me.  The Doctor told me I have particularly sensitive vestibular nerves.Thank you so much for your input there!

Laleh

12 mm x 4 mm diagnosed 1/25/10
CK at Stanford 4/7-4/9/10 - Drs. Chang and Soltys
Measured 14 mm x 6 mm at time of treatment

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Anyone had a particularly difficult experience with ENG test??
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 02:42:27 am »
I had a similar test, where they shot hot and cold water into my ears while I had to look at a dot in these goggles.  I must say the rest of the day I felt really out of it.  It was not a very pleasant test, even though the results came out that my balance wasn't too bad.  I surely don't wanna do that one again anytime soon! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

opp2

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 05:16:33 pm »
Hi Lalea,

I had the hot and cold water test. The vestibular response on the left was negative, but the pain was incredible. For the cold water I mean..Holy cow, I thought it would never end. I felt fine after my testing though. I believe it is because my tumour is nicely eroding my vestibular nerve. I'm sorry you had such a rough time, and I hope you feel better soon.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 06:04:03 pm »
Wow, how far did you have to drive?   Maybe my doctor at Michigan Ear Institute was more overly protective because my drive is about 3 1/2hrs. away, BUT they told me I needed someone to drive me home when I did that testing.      I fondly (and unfondly) remember that test.    The lady told me everything going to happen, etc.    Then she asked if I had ever been really drunk or possibly have a bad case of vertigo or inner ear infection.    I looked at her stupid and questioned, what???    Then I said yes, admitted that I have been really drunk before, but haven't drank in many years and I'm only 38 (was wondering if she thought I looked like a drunk.....haha!).   As for her post 2 questions I said I never had either.   

WELL, low and behold, when I was done with that test I felt so icky, crapy, out of balance, etc.  I looked at her straight in the face and just said "YEP, you sure did peg that one good and that is another reason I don't drink at all anymore"   :)          Later I was told that test probably took such a good effect because of the tumor actually being directly on my balance nerve.    interesting

Now as for your question how it might affect you with Cyberknife, I don't know.   I researched all my options too at the time, but I opted for surgery instead (and can never say for sure what is the best option)  I just needed it out.       Have you searched more on the side effects from Cyberknife to know if vertigo is more common?   

Best wishes
Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI