Author Topic: Meningitis  (Read 7972 times)

Palace

• Palace
Re: Meningitis
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 06:51:25 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm needing 1.5 hour surgery on my Septum.  (complete airway blockage on the right side)  The ENT doctor mentioned he got the MRI back however, he didn't say if the mastoiditis problem was solved.  I'm not going to assume it is.  I left a message at his office if someone would call and inform me the proper data.  The ENT doctor should call me back as, this is the information I was waiting for!

I'm going to assume my Meningitis problem is well behind me.

I spoke with Stanford and the doctors haven't received the results back from the MRI so, they could inform me about my Acoustic Neuroma tumor.  (current size)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:54:23 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

LOIS

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 12:09:51 am »
Hi Palace,

I got aseptic meningitis after my retrosigmoid surgery.  I remember being told that it was a complication from surgery due to the brain swelling.  Maybe just the brain swelling no matter what treatment can actually play a factor in it.  I know it sucked big time.  Hope you are feeling a lot better by now.  I have since found out since I had meningitis that it is playing its role in my headaches now and can for the rest of my life.  That along with the scar tissue that showed up on the post MRI will keep the headache afloat.  Hope you dont end up with this constant side effect.

Take care,
Lois
Diagnosed 07/08   1.2 x 1.1 cm. left AN Retosigmoid surgery 08/08 with Dr. Bartels  @ Tampa General Hospital

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 06:46:53 am »
I go this morning to the ENT office, for the third time in a couple of weeks.  (this time for the doctor to confirm I need right side nasal septum surgery---same side as AN)

Stanford called Friday to tell me they will probably receive my MRI data Monday (today) and give me a call right away with the results.

I got a prescription of Levaquin last Friday as, I might be flying to New England tomorrow or the next day, for a week.  What concerns me is the prescription is for 10 pills.  I think the ENT doctor who was the "stand-in" for my regular ENT doctor over the weekend, just took the reading off the chart and had that called into the pharmacy.  Of course it says 10 pills as, that was the exact amount I needed to continue from the two weeks of IV drip. (antibiotic at the hospital)  I would think I'd need more pills than 10 if I were starting all over again, someday.

I'll ask today if only 10 days of Levaquin is enough to combat a fresh bout of Meningitis, should I be so lucky to contract it again.  (and why is it that people may get Meningitis easier once they had it?)  Also, I went into a coma with no warning and I wouldn't have been able to take the pills!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 06:58:54 am by Palace »
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 06:41:30 pm »
Hello,

I just got a call from the ENT office and I'd been trying to get an answer about the proper dose of antibiotic to take on trips out of the area.  I was planning the trip to New England for the beginning of this week but, nobody called me back with an answer until just now.  The ENT doctor told the front desk to call me and tell me it's up to my primary care physician.  I was supposed to return on Tuesday from the Boston area.  It's closing time at the doctor's office and getting dark now.  I'd have to leave a message for my primary care physician tomorrow morning and who knows when she would get back to me.  It would drag over the weekend.  It's a very frightening world to try and get business acomplished.  The moral of this story now is, "Keep calling until you get business finished and do as much research on your own, as possible."  I've not heard from Stanford about my MRI data yet, either.

Good luck to all of you,

Palace
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 07:57:20 pm »
Stanford just phoned and yes my meningitis is all clear.  Stanford reported that I need to discuss with my ENT doctor what I should do about my mastoiditis still being present.  Stanford wants to know what this doctor recommends.  I would think another round of antibiotics, possibly.  This doctor is very difficult to reach as, he has a satellite office and is only in Santa Cruz one or two days a week.  I tried before closing tonight and they had the message machine on early, as usual.  (with no way to leave a message)  The audiologist was supposed to FAX my hearing test results to Stanford a month ago.  Stanford never got the data.  I tried to call several times to report the lack of information being transfered to Stanford and also ask about the mastoiditis problem.  (swelling still present in the whole body)  My left thumb is still half numb and the other half of it hurts.

I asked my original measurements of the tumor upon diagnosis.  I'm now told (different that largest point being 22mm) it was 21 X24 millimeters.  Now the tumor size reads, 19 X 18 X 13 millimeters.

I'm still awaiting the ENT doctor to go-over the CT scans and call me to set a surgerical date for nasal septum operation.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:00:45 pm by Palace »
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 11:26:06 am »
 :o

Re: Telogen Effluvium from meningitis

I lost half of my hair in one week.  I saw a doctor last night and he feels this will continue for another couple of weeks or more.  (typical, 4-5 mo. after meningitis, trauma, strong meds, stress and perhaps even---childbirth)

The good news is by giving up acid related foods and liquids the camera showed I no longer have a lump on my vocal cord.  I acomplished that in two months.  They grow back if a person continues to lay down after wine, coffee and even, decaf coffee although more safe.  Maalox shoud be used after ingesting acidic veggies, fruits, juices and other liquids.  (laying down of course, is more acid reflux)

Back to the meningitis subject---I did have my blood drawn just to make sure my hair loss isn't related to thyroid problems.  (which I don't believe I have)

Hair loss can be hormonal, lack of protein in the diet, thyroid related or in my case, reaction to severe illness to the body which was meningitis five months ago.

Being a "natural thick-hair redhead, I've enough hair left to get by in public."

Palace

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 11:28:37 am by Palace »
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 01:30:12 pm »
Hi AN Friends:

The thyroid lab report came back normal!

My hair is still falling out in huge chunks distributed all over the head.  (so, this is probably from meningitis as the doctor said)

I doubt that it's hormonal related nor a diet issue.  I haven't eaten enough protein lately but, have since I begn losing over half my hair, I'm eating more.

Stay healthy guys and gals,

Palace
single sided deafness