Author Topic: Incision still hurts and scabs over 17 months post op  (Read 2568 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Incision still hurts and scabs over 17 months post op
« on: January 06, 2009, 05:01:37 pm »
I've had it checked by neurosurgeon and my family doctor and they all say it looks fine other than alittle caved in! I didn't have any bone put back he just used some sort of metal and screws. It is still very sore to touch, can't sleep on it and when I do gather the courage to even touch it there is lots of dried scab/skin that will come off. Yuck i know. I always try to soak my head when I wash my hair so that this skin can exfoliate but what else can I do. Even as I type the incision is soooooo taut feeling and tender. Any suggestions? I would never be able to massage it like I've heard of some people doing as this would be too painful. For the longest time (like a year of so after) I could get big chunks of skin with what looked like stitches stuck in it off of the incision. I had dissolvable stitches but I'm thinking that maybe I have some that didn't dissolve and it is acting like a splinter in my skin causing it to have poor healing and pain but all the docs say it is fine?!?!?
Angie

Kaybo

Re: Incision still hurts and scabs over 17 months post op
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 09:16:18 pm »
Angie~
I have noticed, but have never told anyone, that I have more "dead" (dry) skin on that side.  YUCK!  I am so glad it is befind my ear & not really visible!  Also, i wear the same earrings ALL the time - never remove, rarely ever change - when I do take them off to clean, it is always because my AN side has crud on it.  In fact, that ear has it around where the earring would be - that is why I try to be so diligent in taking it off b/c I don't my "crusty" ear to show around my earring!!  You're not alone...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: Incision still hurts and scabs over 17 months post op
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:34:33 pm »
Angie,

Could you have a reaction to the metal in the screws?  I had a plate and seven screws in my ankle that had to be removed because there was a tiny amount of nickel in them and I reacted.  It was very tender and sore.  That area on my ankle is still sensitive four years later.

Just a thought,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games