Author Topic: Having to have surgery again.  (Read 9177 times)

matti

Re: Having to have surgery again.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 07:04:39 pm »
Hi Cheryl - Glad to see you are back home, you are such an inspiration.

Stay stong, take care and keep us posted and if you need a laugh, check in at "the good morning" thread and join our cruise". Guaranteed to make you feel better.  ;D

Hugs to you!
Matti

P.S. I am a Cheryl too
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 07:53:20 pm »
Sounds very promising Cheryl, most importantly - keep up the good spirits.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

BP Wench

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 08:28:46 pm »
Happy to hear things went well.  Here's hoping you have a very speedy recovery!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 09:28:59 pm »
Cheryl,

Sending you hugs and good vibes for a very speedy recovery! :)

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

small speed bump
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 04:45:45 pm »
I have been doing so well but had a small speed bump in my progress.    I noticed swelling Tues pm in the neck incision line where the nerve was taken from so calledl U of Iowa Weds am and 2 hrs later decided they wanted to see me so off on the150 mi trip.   I had a collection of fluid in it which was not CSF related and some drawn out.   it is still swollen but less so and now have to wear a dressing again till next week and will go back there to get the stitches out instead of here locally.  Hopefully this willl be it for problems.                            Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 09:19:01 pm »
Cheryl,

continuing to send those hugs and prayers and terrific healing wishes! :)  Hang in there hun! We're here for you!

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 10:28:51 am »
Good Luck Cheryl!

Battyp

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 10:33:38 am »
Cheryl how are you doing? 

Cheryl R

More surgery
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2006, 02:52:10 pm »
Have had a bigger speed bump.     Having a second surgery wasn't enough,we had to go for round 3.        After my surgery I had the fluid filled seroma develop in my neck incision area of my nerve graft,  I have had to make 2 trips to Iowa City to get it drained some,with the 2nd time being last Weds.     At a stop at rhe grocery store as we got home, I began having a runny nose.   It was a warm day so wasn't alarmed as with my very first surgery 4 yrs ago I had it big time.    When I would do the head over test none ever dripped out of the nose.          We got home and tried the test and this time it did drip,drip,drip.            Rested a while and tried again and more drips.          Called IC and they said was ok to wait to come back on Thurs as had no fever or other symptoms.       Went back Thurs and was admitted and put on bed rest for 24 hrs.     Fri still had the drip so Fri eve had a 3 hr surgery to drill some of the bone and more fat packing  and a absorbable pad in place to further hold things.    Also the eustachian tube is blocked.         I came home Mon and now am feeling ok but back to the tired  off and on,       Very frustrating.    I got to take the dressing off today and go back the25th for stitches out.    The stitches this time are larger to hold well.         The surgery was done as opposed to the drain since I was 2 weeks out from the last surgery and they think the drain might not do it.                  I am just glad to be home again and hopefully now can recover.                       
An added note to Karla who was asking about driving.   I have drove in 2 weeks past my surgeries.     It will depend on how much dizziness you have when you turn your neck and how stiff it may be.     I am in a rural area also.                                  Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

Battyp

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2006, 08:49:08 pm »
Cheryl, how are you holding up?  Sounds like a bad nightmare on this end!  My prayers are with you for a speedy recovery!

Cheryl R

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 02:26:07 pm »
I am doing ok.    Since I was just back to feeling good ,it is maddening to start all over.      I am up and around quite well but do tire easily.    I am a  nurse so should know better about it all but it is hard to be on the other end!          I do get achy at times but the pain meds help.           I am eating better and some things taste weird,others don't.           Chocolate never did taste weird this time, drat!                 Having the dressing off is a big help so easier to sleep.
           I am hanging in there!                Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 04:55:31 pm »
Cheryl,

After reading what you have recently been through, you just show an amazing amount of strength and courage... and I so, so commend you on it. Know that I'm sending hugs and wishes for ongoing speedy recovery.  And trust me, chocolate WILL taste great again! I just know it.

Please hang in there and keep us updated. Sending you best and oodles of wishes!
Phyl

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2006, 09:56:37 am »
Hang in there Cheryl. You're like RoboCop or something, they keep trying, but they can't knock you down! Keep it up!