Author Topic: Surgery Scheduled in 10 days - getting scared  (Read 4679 times)

dlbenz

• Comcast Sportsnet
Surgery Scheduled in 10 days - getting scared
« on: June 17, 2008, 07:09:34 pm »
Well, it's been a while, but I'm back.

I will be having Middle Fossa surgery to remove my 12x6x9mm AN at the House Clinic in 10 days.  I was originally psyched to get the surgery over with because of the constant vertigo I was experiencing.  Strangely, the vertigo has been virtually non-existent the last couple of weeks.  And, as my hearing is still 100% in the AN ear, I am really having second thoughts about all this. 

I know I am doing the right thing but am totally freaked out that in less than 2 weeks I might be SSD. 

I'd love to hear from anybody with House (or other Middle Fossa) success stories.  Thanks.

Dave
1.4 cm AN removed 6/26/2008 by Dr. Derald Brackmann (House Clinic) at St. Vincent's Hospital in LA.  10-15% hearing loss in left (AN) ear.  Very slight facial paralysis on left side of face.

Cheryl R

Re: Surgery Scheduled in 10 days - getting scared
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 07:41:34 pm »
Exactly 2 months ago today I had mid fossa done.     I am not the usual ANer as am NF2 and have had 2 tumors removed on the right and also deaf on that side.      My left sided tumor has been growing and I was next to deaf.      I was going to have the mid fossa and then a month later do a cochlear implant.      I surprised everyone by having a great deal of improvement in my hearing after this surgery.     I do not now need the implant.                  I am back to 70% word recoginition which is what I was last summer.
I do know of others who have had mid fossa but are not on this forum and retained their hearing.
It is ok to be scared but we will hope your keep your hearing and all goes well.         There would be less chance to save the hearing if the tumor grew to be very big.
                 I wish you well,                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

er

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:05:28 pm »
Dave
I am so sorry about your AN . It is natural to be frighten. My prayers are with you. 

Cheryl R

It is wonderful that you have received your hearing back. There is so much more healing to come.

eve

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 04:15:57 pm »
Hey Dave
Good to see you back.  Hadn't seen you for awhile.  Interesting that you mention the pre-surgery fears.  In the story I'm writing, I spent the day today writing about my day before surgery.  There was some foreboding (hmmm) but I found a great deal of peace in church and a hike up a canyon.  By surgery day, I was ready.  I think if you keep posting, you will find comfort with your friends on this forum.  We've all been there and we might find the advice you need. By the way, I've been SSD for 23 years.  It's annoying, but it doesn't hurt.  It's the other ear that you need to worry about.

Hang in there.

Best wishes
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Desilu

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 04:40:49 pm »
Hi Dave,

It's normal to feel this way before your surgery. We all have been there. Just try to eat right and sleep the best that you can. You will be well taken care of at House. The important thing is to have "peace" about your decision. Once the decision is made the rest is up to your doctors and God. So hang in there and go with the flow. Before you know it, you will be a postie like the rest of us and you will be able to share your information with others. I wish you the best and you will be in my prayers!   Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »
Dave -

sorry I didn't respond to your post earlier but I did not have mid fossa (had retrosigmoid) nor did I go to House (went to Ear Institute of Chicago).

However, I just wanted to chime in and say that nervousness and anxiety are quite common before surgery.  Try to relax and focus on the confidence you have in your doctors.  They have done this before and you are in very capable hands, so let them do what they do best.  Keep in mind that all of us are pulling for you and hoping for an excellent outcome.  We are here to support you in any way we can.

As far as SSD goes, David makes a very good point when he says SSD isn't painful - it's basically annoying.  I personally couldn't handle the annoying part, so I opted for a BAHA, but many, many patients do just fine without one.

Hang in there and stay strong, it will be over before you know it  ;)

Best wishes,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 08:43:33 pm »
Hey Dave

I totally missed that you were going through House.  If you can handle a real life visit from one of us, maybe I can stop down while you're at St Vincents.  By the way, St Vincents is a delight (except for the day nurse in ICU -- she is a major crab).  But do brush up on your Manderin, Cantonese, Spanish, Korean, Philipino.  It helps.  But when you have a pain issue, don't worry.  They have a chart.  All you have to do is point.  They are very compassionate and involved people.  So far it's been my best experience of this ordeal.  And hopefully you won't need him, but the assigned opthomologist, Michael Roberts, is the best.  He has a fan club among a few of us on this forum.  Let me know if you can handle a visit.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 08:54:26 pm »
And BTW -- Jan -- you may have that tat cool, but you're an SSD wuss.  I choose not to accomodate the tiny talkers, mumblers and otherwise disability insensitive creatures that prowl the earth  ;D.  And of course a BAHA won't work for me.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 09:46:52 pm »
David -

you are absolutely correct - I am a SSD wuss - or a SSD wimp, if you'd like  ;)  Personally I just can't deal with being SSD.  In fact I told my doc yesterday that SSD makes me feel less than "whole" and the BAHA is helping me feel like a "normal" person again.  I didn't add that as a certified control freak I just can't handle any situation that is less than perfect - but since he's a very intelligent man, he may already realize that  LOL

I give lots of credit to those of you who can handle SSD without a crutch like my BAHA.  I'm reminded of a sign I have in my office at work that says "Criticism - it's not for the weak".  I think those of you who aren't SSD wusses should have signs that say "SSD - it's not for the weak"  :D

Lori, where are you?  Let's add this to the list of AN products we're going to market and make a million dollars on  8)

Jan, the wuss  ;)

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 03:42:29 pm »
Just kidding, Jan.  I actually regret not knowing about BAHA while I had hearing on my good side.  It just won't work now.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 04:44:58 pm »
David -

I know you were just kidding, but I also wanted to take the opportunity to point out that BAHAs are not for everyone.

Although I love mine and highly recommend it to others, I also realize that many people who are SSD function just fine without any kind of aid.

Despite the fact that I really don't consider myself "weak" because I have a BAHA, I do think that those who make the decision to just live with their SSD are stronger than I am, because I know I couldn't do it :)

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 05:01:29 pm »
David~

I would buy a shirt with Jan's phrase - you better get to work on that!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 10:49:37 pm »
Dave -
Dave -
I'm sure what you are feeling is very normal and although I haven't had surgery yet (it is now translab,  scheduled for Jyuly 25) I wanted to put in my two cents worth.  I was originally supposed to have middle fossa too, but unfortunately have since lost most of my hearing in my AN ear.  When I first discovered my AN I had 80% discriminatiion, some unsteadiness and that was it.  I would have had middle fossa without a second thought, after I finished getting second and third opinions and doing lots of research to make sure this was the right choice for me.  Middle fossa doesn't guarantee hearing preservation and nothing will, but it is your best chance for it.  Being scared just means you are human.  I'd be more surprised if you weren't at least a little apprehensive.  We are here to support you in any way we can
Jan -
I don't really think getting a BAHA or choosing to remain SSD makes you any weaker or stronger -- this decision, like choice of treatment is a very personal one.  To some, being  SSD is just not a big deal and feel their hearing ear lets them adapt enough that they are happy or at least content  or they are unwilling to have yet another operation, and  who can blame them-- others like you and eventually myself, can't and don't want to deal with being SSD and simply choose to do something we see as positive about it.  Either choice is about doing what is right for you.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 07:18:13 pm »
Wendy -

I don't think that getting a BAHA, or a Transear, or choosing to remain SSD makes us either weak or strong.  All three of these choices are personal decisions and I was just making light of the situation.

I also from time to time mention on the forum that just because the BAHA was my choice - and I so obviously love it - it's not for everyone.  To each his own  :)

Have we seen any kind of update on Dave Benz and his surgery? it was earlier this week.

Jan