Author Topic: Surgery Stroke, What is it?  (Read 4874 times)

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
Surgery Stroke, What is it?
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:17:08 pm »
I tried to google Surgery Stroke and you can imagen the hits.

Was wanting more infomation on the subject. I guess I'm glutten for something else to worry about. lol.

Is it something that happens during operation? Something that happens right after? What can I do to lessen my chances?
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Surgery Stroke, What is it?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:31:00 pm »
Strokes are a possibilty during most major surgeries.

I'm kind of surprised that your doctor didn't mention this to you.

Mine went through a very extensive list of possible things that could happen during or after my surgery - CSF leak, meningitis, stroke, facial paralysis, etc., etc., etc. 

A good surgeon will inform you of every possible side-effect, no matter how small.  Not only is it honest, but in today's world of malpractice lawsuits, full disclosure is a necessity.

The thing to keep in perspective is the "no matter how small" part.  Don't focus on every little thing.  If you lived your life this way chances are you'd never take a Rx medication again.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TR4guy

• Hey - what happened to my photo?
    • Inside Scott's Head
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 06:15:13 pm »
"Surgery Stroke?"  Uhh . ..  I'm not sure I've ever heard of that as a term . . . but I'm guessing it referring to a Stroke that is caused by Surgery.

I believe the vast majority of strokes are not caused by surgery.

So you should start out by just learning what a Stroke is...... then figure out how they could happen in a surgery.

They probably happen in surgery either by cutting a blood vessel and depriving part of the brain from blood (and thus causing that portion of the brain to have a "stroke")
Or . .. by little blood clots traveling through blood vessels and finally getting wedged somewhere and causing a blockage... which would deprive the downstream tissues of the blood they need.  Once again - in the brain, this blood starvation would cause a stroke.

I think that's why they put you on blood thinners for the surgery... to prevent those clots.

I'm NOT a doctor though . . .. you should do your own research and / or  ask a real doctor.

My guess is there isn't anything you can do to lessen the chance of a stroke that is a result of surgery.
well.... let me clarify that.  You can lessen the chances by making sure your doctor has a complete medical history and knows what all medications and supplements and dietary things you are on.  This includes things that aren't prescription.

If you read somewhere that a certain herb or vitamin might be good for your brain, your nerves, or for recovering from surgery . .. . . You would be wise to ask your doctor about it before starting to hyperdose on it.   And even if you don't consult with him before you do it . . . make sure they know about it before you go into surgery.

Self Diagnosis and Self Treatment can be very dangerous things.

Scott

40 yr old single male
Alexandria, VA
3.5cm AN on right side diagnosed July 2010.

Significant unilateral hearing loss
tinnitus
fullness of ear (starting to hurt!)
Occasional headaches on one side
Some loss of balance when moving

Translab Surgery at House Clinic on Sept. 14th. (2010)
Doing GREAT!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 10:02:50 pm »
 ???

Who puts you on blood thinners for what surgery? 

If you are referring to AN surgery, I have never heard of this.

Doesn't meant it doesn't happen, but it if does, I'd venture to say it's not very common.  I've been on the Forum for over 3 years now and read tons of posts and have never heard of anyone being prescribed blood thinners for AN surgery.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 10:13:04 pm »
No I don't think they put you on blood thinners prior to this surgery. They probably take you OFF of them! In fact there is the 10 day prior to surgery rule of no aspirin, motrin, etc......

As far as a stroke, this is highly unlikely (though Kaybo had one, but  that was 25 or so years ago when she had her surgery. She is fine now, BTW)

My AN had turned my brain stem into a lovely "C" shape, and it was vascular, so all that picking at a bloody tumor smacked against the brain stem should have caused a stroke, but it didn't thank God.

So more brain stem involvement, more chance of  stroke but highly unlikely.

Is there brain stem involvement with your AN, Funnydream???  I wouldn't worry about it. Highly unlikely.

No recent cases of such as far as I've been on the forum.

Rest easy,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

TR4guy

• Hey - what happened to my photo?
    • Inside Scott's Head
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 10:42:26 pm »
???

Who puts you on blood thinners for what surgery? 

If you are referring to AN surgery, I have never heard of this.

Doesn't meant it doesn't happen, but it if does, I'd venture to say it's not very common.  I've been on the Forum for over 3 years now and read tons of posts and have never heard of anyone being prescribed blood thinners for AN surgery.

Jan

My Bad . . . like I said . . . not a doctor.
I was just typing whatever popped into my head.
Yeah . . I guess blood thinners before cutting into someone for surgery would be a bad idea.
(what do I know? . . . I never had surgery before)

So how about the other junk I typed?
Strokes are from a lack of blood getting to the brain aren't they? 
Thus the term "brain attack"  (like heart attack)

Sorry for for the misinformation.

Scott
40 yr old single male
Alexandria, VA
3.5cm AN on right side diagnosed July 2010.

Significant unilateral hearing loss
tinnitus
fullness of ear (starting to hurt!)
Occasional headaches on one side
Some loss of balance when moving

Translab Surgery at House Clinic on Sept. 14th. (2010)
Doing GREAT!

Funnydream

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 10:50:53 pm »

Is there brain stem involvement with your AN, Funnydream???  

Yeppers

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 11:05:05 pm by Funnydream »
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Funnydream

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 11:42:04 pm »
This is Omega3 fish oil that I take. Omega3 fish oil is a Anticoagulant.

Notice the Warning label.

Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 09:19:50 am »
Funny -

not sure why you are showing us this label, but I'm guessing by reading the warning that you are concerned about taking it prior to your surgery.

Like Moe said, there are certain "rules" of AN surgery - and most other surgeries - and you will be told by your doctor and/or the hospital what you can and cannot take before your procedure.  You will also be told how long prior to surgery - and sometimes after surgery - you should not take Rx meds, OTC meds, and/or herbal meds. 

Sometimes there are exceptions.  I regularly take a Rx for hypertension and they kept me on it throughout my surgery and recovery. 

This is all part of the pre-op testing.  Someone will ask you what you take and will tell you the "rules".

While I am guessing that you will be told to stop taking your Omega3 fish oil for a time prior to surgery - and possibly for a time after surgery - I'm not a doctor (or any other medical professional).  So, don't take my word for it - ask your doctor.

Jan