Author Topic: Happy Mother's Day!  (Read 8819 times)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Happy Mother's Day!
« on: May 07, 2010, 09:19:50 am »
It’s no big secret, Sunday, May 9th, is Mother’s Day! If you’re fortunate enough to still have your Mom in your life, please be sure you let her know just how much you love her and appreciate everything she means to you. If you're a Mom, well than, Happy Mother's Day to you...your children are blessed to have you in their lives!

My  Mom unfortunately suffers from Alzheimer’s and has been in a Nursing Home for the last 13 months. They’ve had her on all the latest medications but, as I’m sure you know, there is no cure for Alzheimer’s. The best they hope to achieve is to slow the progression of the condition.

We were in to visit with Mom this past Tuesday, May 4th. It was her 76th Birthday and we brought her a bunch of cards from friends and relatives from across the country. She didn’t remember it was her special day, but she enjoyed the cards and Birthday Cake all the same. I could tell, she called me “Bernie” and thanked me for the Cake. “Bernie” was my Father’s name, he passed twenty years ago.

We’ll be back in to see Mom this Sunday as always with one difference. I’m thinking the hug will be just a bit tighter and last a little longer! 

Go see your Mom this Sunday. If that’s not possible, call her! If your Mom is no longer with you, remember her all the same. She still loves you!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

moe

Re: Happy Mother's Day!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 09:21:22 am »
Thanks, Doc for the well wishes :)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:50:13 am »
Hi Doc,

My mom suffers from Alzheimer’s as well. It’s such a terrible disease. She is still at home with my dad though. Yesterday I spent the morning and afternoon with them making (and eating ::)) crépes and just shooting the breeze. It was a great day. I will be going over again this Sunday and yes… I’ll be hugging a little longer and a little tighter!

Happy Mother's Day to every mom out there! :-*

Scarlett
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 10:39:55 am »
Doc,

I lost my Mom to Alzheimer's Disease four years ago.  She was 84 and was diagnosed at the age of 70.  So hug your Mom tightly, I am sure that somewhere in her being she knows exactly who you are.  Count your blessing for all of the good days she will have, because she will have them.  I'll be thinking about you this Mother's Day as you celebrate with your Mom.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 02:09:55 pm »
Doc,

I lost my Mom when I was 8 years old.  Mother's Day was always difficult for me as a kid growing up.  The best and saddest Mother's Day was 23 years ago this year.  My husband's Aunt was in the hospital and she had a lumpectomy on her right breast.  My husband I went to visit her the Friday afternoon.  In her broken English with a very thick Italian accent she started laughing and said I would be joining her that night in the hospital.  I was just entering my 39 week of pregnancy with my oldest son Joseph.

Louie and I laughed along with her, we went home and Louie went off to work.  Later that night I was watching good old Johnny Carson and gosh was his monologue funny.  I decided I wanted to shower and do my hair and make up to see how I would look for a family wedding we were to attend the next day.  My hair was done make up perfect, dress was very pretty periwinkle blue and white.  Cute little white pumps and I didn't have to wear pantyhose because it was very warm out.  I was so happy.  I actually was very pleased with the results, I didn't look half bad for a very pregnant woman.

All of a sudden my stomach turned I didn't know which end was up.  My body got rid the waste I felt better and than my water broke.  I called my husband at the pizzeria and he didn't believe me.  He said I better call my sister to make sure LOL!!!  What a guy.  He came and got me, off to the hospital we went, no labour.  They left me like that until noon the next day and started an induction drip.  Meanwhile Louie had been over to visit his Aunt.  She called every 30 mins to see if I have had the baby yet.  The induction took a very long time.  Finally my beautiful Joseph made his arrival at 11:38 pm May 9.

Mother's Day Sunday May 10 @ 6:00 I hear Anna Maria, Anna Maria wake up....let's go see the baby.  Joseph was up in the preemie floor in an incubator because he gone into fetal distress and he was on antibiotics.  Zia Giovanna and myself both have IV poles.  Her and I were not suppose to leave our floors unattended, but off we go.  When she saw Joseph inside the incubator she put her hands through the openings to touch Joseph, she looked at me and said "my life is finished and his life is new."  We both cried.  Zia Giovanna fought a brave battle for almost 5 years.  She never saw her sons get married or got to hold her grandchildren.  She loved my Joseph like a grandson.  Every Mother's Day is so bittersweet for me.  Joseph remembers her.  

Every Mother's Day I cry for her, my Mom and now Louie's other Aunt because it will be her 1st year anniversary of her passing is May 9.  I also cry for my Dad because he took on so much when my Mom became so ill in 1963 and especially after she died.  Moms and Dads are pretty amazing.  

Thanks Doc for sharing  :-*

Anne Marie
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:25:24 pm by yardtick »
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 04:30:11 pm »
Doc ~

I lost my mom to a stroke 32 years ago (she was only 66).  I think of her almost every day.  Your advice to those who are fortunate enough to still have their mother in relatively good mental and physical health should appreciate her all the more on Sunday, as I'm sure they will.  Thanks for the poignant reminder and I hope your Sunday visit with your mom is pleasurable for both of you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 06:26:54 pm »
Thank you for the Mother's Day wishes I lost my mom 3 years ago she had dementia and she died of pancreatic cancer. The only good thing I feel is because she was out of it mentally she never complained of pain and we didn't even know that she had this cancer until the end. So I guess at least one good thing is she didn't suffer never looked like she had severe pain she only said at times her stomach hurt a little. I thought this type of cancer was painful so having Alzheimer's or Dementia with a fatal illness might have some sort of benefit regarding pain.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

opp2

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 09:05:58 pm »
I feel pretty blessed to have my Mom and my Mother in Law as well as my Grandma who turns 90 this year. My parents and my Grandmother had kids when they were very young so my kids have a great grand mother, and my Grandmother has a couple of great great grand children. I've rarely suffered the pain of the loss of a family member. My husband's father died of stomach cancer the year before I met him, nearly 19 years ago now. In fact last weekend they held a 20 anniversary memorial picnic at the cemetery. We couldn't go because my husband had gall bladder surgery with complications and was hospitalized all week.

My Mom's birthday is May 2 (coincidentally her father died that day 10 years ago) so it's always really close to Mother's day. We missed the party, but will be traveling to see her this Sunday. My husband's Mom will be at his brother's for the day. We are very lucky to have them both with us, and no matter how crazy they may make us from time to time, They're our Mom, and we love them.

I wish you all a great Mother's Day, celebrating or visiting, whatever you chose to do...I'm sure it will be a great day.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 10:55:46 am »
That is amazing DonnaLynn and Nikki that you have your Grandmothers.  Life is truly a blessing.

I agree with you DonnaLynn I too feel very blessed to be a Mother.  Actually my sons are my greatest accomplishment of course with the help of Louie  ::)  Father's Day is just around the corner I don't want him to feel left out here!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 02:06:27 pm »
My Mom is far enough along that she can't keep my name and my nephew's name straight anymore, but we don't mind. Playing cards with her means explaining the rules again every time it is her turn. It is still fun. I can't help but notice that it doesn't matter at all to me if she is starting to slip in the memory and attention department. She is still there, still enjoying life, still loves her family, and is still loved by her family as well. There is nothing in the world quite a like a hug from Mom.

Whether it is in person or a memory in your heart, Happy Mother's Day to all.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 06:00:55 pm »
First, Happy Mother's Day to all of the moms in our group and thanks to Doc B for starting this thread.  I lost my mom almost 23 years ago -- she had acute myelogenous leukemia.   Although I especially miss her on Mother's Day -- she was a wonderful mom and I also have many great memories of our times together.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

tenai98

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 06:40:51 am »
Happy Mother's Day to all moms out there.  I got a call from son overseas first thing this morning...yahoooo...it made my day..
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 07:23:02 am »
Happy Mother's Day to all you moms on the forum!  I am feeling a wash of emotions as I work my way through this day.  My daughter is getting married next Friday, and my sweet husband and I are in a get-the-house-and-yard ready for company mad dash.  I lost my mother-in-law to malignant brain cancer two years ago and my own mom to alzheimer's 5 years back.  I am missing both of them terribly right now, knowing how excited they would be about this event.
On a positive note, I got flowers yesterday from my son, and my daughter and her sweetie will be in tonight.  My cup runneth over!
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 02:28:31 pm »
It's been a banner weekend. My firstborn graduated from college yesterday and my middle daughter was confirmed today. We had both my mom and my mother-in-law over for lunch today to celebrate. Having lost both our dads in the past eighteen months, my husband and I realize that we never know what year is going to be our last with our moms.

Best wishes to all moms and surrogate moms everywhere.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 11:21:05 am »
Heard from my son in Iraq this morning ...day late but great all the same

I admired some irises growing along a road bank by a barn last week ... said I would like some ... so my crazy family pulled over on their way back from skating rink Saturday night and stole them  :o ...they proudly presented them yesterday and I knew immediately where they came from ...I meant I wanted some bulbs or rhizomes or whatever you call them ...I jokingly told them if they were gonna steal them they should have taken bulbs,roots and all ... youngest said they would go back and get them ... I told her no ... the  house is abandon and owners come up 2 or 3 times a year to check on it ... and the flowers are in right-of-way between the fence and road which is really public domain ... but still feel like I have a huge bouquet of "HOT " flowers on my table...this is so not my husband ... I am more likely to do something like this than he is ... I have corrupted him

My mom had a mentally disable daughter , my older sister , that took her from the rest of us kids most of the time , in her efforts to save the one ... kinda a rocky relationship ... or I guess not rocky , more just really bumpy ... she did what she had too ... I always said if I had kids I would not get so over involved with one that I lost the rest ... I would sacrifice the one ... that was as a kid set adrift at around 11 years of age to find her way and keep herself and  3 younger brothers fed and in clean clothes ...

Found out last week that mom's breast cancer that spread to lymph nodes has now invaded her liver and pancreas ... due to identity theft and someone using her identity to get medical treatment and exhausting her benefits , they left symptoms untreated from December til April ... she has more testing to see how far advanced but was told that this will be fatal ... and I am thinking there is not enough time to kiss make up and say goodbye ... she doesn't know half of the resentment I feel toward her and my dad ... and won't ...her knowing would hurt her and me for hurting her ... when I became a mother I understood the why of what she and my dad did ...doesn't take away what I lost but I understand ... and right now I am bitter at doctors who knew something was going on but wouldn't check because suddenly she had no benefits ... could kill (or just maim) the person (who has not been caught) if they were in front of me ... and I am incredibly sad ... we have had the most normal relationship the past 5 or 6 years than we ever had ... and now I see the end coming ...

So this Mothers Day was bitter sweet ... probably the last with her ...she doesn't expect to see the new year come in and is being very brave and graceful about it ... so I stand strong beside her , no tears and do as she bids ... just as I have always done ... she wants no heroics after years working in nursing home and watching families keep people alive just to say they were not dead , even when there was no brain activity ... she wants to just go with no fuss and has put me in charge of handling my brothers and sisters ...she wants to be cremated and her ashes tossed into the Elk River ....something that will be fought but is in writing all legal and up to me to get done ....

I miss her already becasue it seems I just gt her ...hug them while you have them
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery