Author Topic: 5 years post op first MRI  (Read 2244 times)

Jsoule

5 years post op first MRI
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:00:57 pm »
Hello, I had translab surgery 5 years ago. Surgery was successful. I had my first MRI follow up yesterday and the results were great. Nothing has returned. I do remember clearly the feeling I had after being diagnosed with Acoustic Neuroma and this board gave me lots of comfort and helped me decide my next step. I would be happy to tell my story to any new members.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:37:04 pm by sgerrard »

sgerrard

Re: 5 years post op first MRI
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:41:13 pm »
Well I'm already an oldie member, but you can tell me the story.  ;)

5 years is a long time to wait for your first follow up MRI. Glad it was clean!

It is always helpful to get the long term perspective on life after AN, so telling your story again would not be repetitious. You will have a different view of it all now.

Best wishes for the next 5 years, too.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 02:05:38 pm »
Hi, Julie - welcome back!  

I'm delighted to learn that your 5-year MRI showed nothing.  That has to be a great feeling - and I'm glad you chose to share it with us.  I skipped my 3-year MRI scan and felt a bit guilty but vowed to have one done this year, for sure.  Learning that you went 5 years without a follow-up MRI certainly assuages my feelings of guilt. ;)

The fact that you're 5 years post-op (from HEI) with no sign of re-growth is inspiring.  Your story may well encourage others just being diagnosed and contemplating (and probably dreading) surgery, so please feel free to recount your AN experience here, if you wish.  We'll look forward to reading it.  Thanks!

Jim
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:07:15 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jsoule

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 08:25:34 pm »
Hello, I will write more over the weekend about my story. My doctor was the one who set the timing for the MRI. He was confident that the tumor was entirely removed and this was why it was 5 years before my first MRI. All doctors seem to have there own schedule. I'm sure that if I was worried I could have requested one sooner, but I really never thought much about it.  I'm not sure what the next recommendation will be for me in the future.I should be hearing from him soon... Post soon. Julie

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:39:47 pm »
Julie -

congratulations on the clean MRI.  Excellent news!!  ;D

While my doctor is confident he removed my AN entirely, I am thankful he doesn't make patients wait 5 years for their first post op MRI.  I am not a patient woman, by any stretch of the imagination, and I would have been a basket case by now  :D  I'm just about due for my 3rd annual post op MRI and just knowing someone will be taking a peek inside my head to make sure nothing is there (except for my brain, hopefully) brings me great comfort.

Looking forward to hearing the story of your AN journey.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways