Author Topic: What is the difference between an AN and Meningioma?  (Read 1986 times)

Sefra22

What is the difference between an AN and Meningioma?
« on: September 26, 2008, 09:54:07 am »
I was talking to my cousin's wife the other day about our hearing difficulties. She told me she has a meningioma and that is the cause of her SSD. She has no plans to have it treated. I was just wondering if both tumors affect the same nerves. She also has fibromyalgia. Could they be related?
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: What is the difference between an AN and Meningioma?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 10:19:20 am »
Hey Lisa,

Ok, here goes....

as defined by the National Brain tumor Foundation:

http://www.braintumor.org/Meningioma?bMediumFontSize=1

"Meningioma
These tumors grow from the meninges, the layers of tissue covering the brain and spinal cord. As they grow, meningiomas compress adjacent brain tissue. Symptoms are often related to this compression of brain tissue, which can also affect cranial nerves and blood vessels. In some cases, meningioma growth can also extend into the bones of the head and face, which may produce visible changes. Most meningiomas are considered nonmalignant or low grade tumors. However, unlike nonmalignant tumors elsewhere in the body, some of these brain tumors can cause disability and may sometimes be life threatening. In many cases, meningiomas grow slowly. Other meningiomas grow more rapidly or have sudden growth spurts. There is no way to predict the rate of growth of a meningioma or to know for certain how long a specific tumor was growing before diagnosis. Meningiomas are graded from low to high. The lower the grade, the lower the risk of recurrence and aggressive growth."

so, as you can see, shares some similarities, yet not.....

FMS (Fibromyalgia Syndrome) is its own fugly onto itself, usually secondary in nature to another primary ailment ongoing.  One link may be of interest:

http://www.fmnetnews.com/

Having been diagnosed many years ago with FMS, they noted to me that it was secondary to my initial (non-AN) medical issue but it has exasberated (did I spell that write? ;) ) over the years as my health has declined. 

Hoping this info helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

SusieU

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 12:10:36 pm »
I just finished CK treatment for a CPA tumor. My tumor 3.2 cm is broad based along the right petrous bone. It encroaches on the region of the right porus acusticus but it is not centered on the internal auditory canal. Meningioma is the primary consideration for this pattern because it does not appear to be growing from the hearing nerve.

With out a tissue biopsy this is not 100% conclusive but in either case the recommended treatment was the same. The recommendation had I decided on micro-surgery was that both a pathologist and ENT surgeon would have been present during the procedure so that if it turned out to be an AN it would have been an interoperative procedure.

The doctors agree that my tumor is likely a menigioma but I will never be 100% sure. The tumor does appear to be very slow growing. I had two MRIs 3 months apart with no change. I had an audio profile 2.5 years ago and the results were the same. In my right ear I have symptoms common to NAs, high frequency hearing loss and 72% speech recognition and constant and annoying tinnitus.
Right side CPA Meningioma, 3.2 x 2.6 x 1.8, hearing loss and tinnitus

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 01:25:25 pm »
I was originally diagnosed with an AN, but the current thought is that it is a petrous memningoma.  The symptons are about the same, and so is the treatment.  The tumor has a broad dural base and is growing into the IAC.  I am still trying to decide on treatment.  One day I want to go with surgery, and the next I am all for cyberknife!  Still trying to settle on the right approach for me. We probably won't know for sure what it is unless I do surgery.

Mags
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.