Author Topic: What is my long-term prognosis?  (Read 4073 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
What is my long-term prognosis?
« on: September 20, 2008, 07:16:25 am »
This is a question I never asked and one that I've been worried about.  I know the odds of the tumor growing back but other than that, do I run a continued risk of stroke and other complications?  I will ask the doctor on Oct. 7, but wonder what you all have been told.  I'm not afraid, I just want to know.
Thanks,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kate B

• AN World
Re: What is my long-term prognosis?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 07:44:49 am »
Marci,

I never heard of a correlation nor has any doctor said that to me and I have asked about long term outcomes.  My friend's mother-in-law had an acoustic removed over 25 years ago (Jan btw from the Chicago Ear group) and is fine and enjoying life in her upper seventies.

My best hope is that you'll find out there is a better prognosis of the American Express company calling your husband to verify out of town shopping charges <grins related to ANA in Chicago post>

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

MAlegant

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 07:53:07 am »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Thanks Kate
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lori67

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 08:31:03 am »
I was told that this doesn't lower my life expectancy at all.

So, we will all be able to grow old (and not gray, since we've already determined most of us take care of that part) together.   ;D

Maybe we can all move into the same nursing home!  A bunch of old, wobbly, deaf people.  Now that sounds like fun!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 10:18:01 am »
Marci:

Interesting question and yet one I never thought to ask my doctor. 

I would assume that if one is in relatively good health before and after surgery/radiation, there should be no significant effect on one's longevity.   You have a benign tumor, it's surgically removed and/or radiated and you heal.  Once the healing process is complete (not counting longer-term side effects such as facial paralysis) your body should function normally for the foreseeable future. 

I'm not a doctor and maybe I'm being somewhat naive but I don't expect my AN experience to affect my lifespan, which I assume will be somewhere in the nineties.  :)  Hey, I'm just being optimistic.  My dad lived until age 92. 

Jim

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 03:08:45 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 03:27:34 pm »
Marci -

although I'm no doctor, beyond the 1-2% chance of regrowth, I think your long-term prognosis is excellent. 

Lori -

can I get the room next to yours at the nursing home?  I'm going to need lots of laughs in my old age  ;D

Good crack about American Express, Kate   :D  Lori, K, and I might have to add you to our comedy routine  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 07:26:17 pm »
Jan,
You, Kate, Lori and Kay need to keep the humor flowing.  Someday I'm going to compile it all and write a book called The Humor of an Acoustic Neuroma.

Marci, in everything I've read, I never saw it mentioned that the recurrence of a tumor is probable or even a good chance.  I have noticed a few people on the Forum -- in their signature lines -- who have had various surgeries related to the AN surgery itself -- but I don't recall anyone who had a regrowth.

Interesting question though.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 08:53:00 pm »
Marci~
I alsways said that I would be playing golf in the Bahamas when I was 80 - I don't plan on slowing down any... ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 07:36:46 am »
Uh, David?  If you do write the book, can we expect royalties?

I don't know how to play golf, but I'd like to retire in the Bahamas  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 08:14:48 am »
Jan~
I don't even know if there IS a golf course there...if not, I'll just hit a few balls into the ocean!   ;D  I'll sit on the sand & drink umbrella drinks with you!!   ;)

K

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 09:11:44 am »
I'm not a golfer either, but I am good at sitting in the sand and drinking umbrella drinks.

Marci, you can plan on retiring to the Bahamas with us.   ;D

And Kay, you can't hit golf balls into the ocean - don't you watch Seinfeld???

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 10:43:11 am »
That sounds really, really good.  Do we have to wait until retirement?

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 11:06:49 am »
I'm in ANYTIME...the sooner the better!!   ;D

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 02:08:11 pm »
Hi Marci,
I have a bit of tumour on my facial nerve and there is a chance it could grow. IF it does grow I am relieved to know that it will not kill me - I am being monitored for the rest of my life. It will never get to the life threatening size it was before. My only fear/concern is how will the treatment, that I choose, affect me. I have facial paralysis and that pretty much freaked me out (I did not expect it at all). Although I am getting a tiny bit of movement, once it returns I won't want to loose it again. Scary but it is my life. I have always said I would never grow old gracefully that I would fight it tooth and nail now I have a new battle and will appreciate having the opportunity to grow old. Funny how you can change your perspective. We have a life to live Marci now we have this second chance. I am mushy today.
Hugs to all of you - thanks again for letting me ramble and being there for me.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

MAlegant

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 02:14:46 pm »
Hi Michelle,
Since surgery I have felt mushy just about every day.  Each one feels like a gift, even the bad days.  I hope that stays with me forever. 

I'm glad you're getting movement and I know how hard it is to wait, but you are doing an amazing job.  My numbness continues and it's difficult to say if it's improving.  It's such a SLOW process.

Marci (never been slow)