Author Topic: What are a BAHA and Transear?  (Read 3620 times)

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
Re: What are a BAHA and Transear?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 01:54:31 pm »
ok Phyl and folks i saw your answers to this one. i gotta question?

they have shown me the BAHA and we went thru it. But i am only 5 months from my AN , still no movement of face,no nerve tingling,  eye  is kinda out of focus, etc etc. And Dr's said this may take 4 to 6 months to recover. others in here seem to say 9 months to a year.

They said its simple  we went thru the procedure. would having it , the BAHA , done need some standard waiting period after an AN before another similar surgery?

or is it better to just get' er done in the vernacular???
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 02:03:31 pm »
I dont think there is a waiting period after the AN surgery ... I had mine done at the same time as the AN surgery ! it would be your doctors call ....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

lori67

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 02:07:44 pm »
I had my BAHA surgery 9 months after my AN surgery.  My doctor wanted to wait until at least 6 months post-op to do it, but I've heard of people getting the implant sooner. I guess it all depends on how well you are healed after your AN surgery, and once again, it seems to depend on the doctor, too.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 03:14:59 pm »
Like Joef and Lori, I say ask your doctor.

My doc told me I could do the demo as soon as my head was healed from my AN surgery.  I had surgery 5/31 and tried the demo in early September - I could have probably done it a little sooner, but I was busy with work, life, etc.

I just loved the demo and told the doc I'd like to go ahead with the surgery.  He told me we should start on the paperwork right away since in his experience it usually takes 4-6 weeks for insurance to approve it.  In my case, I ran into some hassles with my insurance company, so it took them much longer to approve the procedure and the device.  I ended up having my surgery on 3/4/08.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways