Author Topic: What are a BAHA and Transear?  (Read 3622 times)

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
What are a BAHA and Transear?
« on: May 04, 2008, 05:13:28 am »
I'm very new to all of this and have a surgery date scheduled.  I am dreading losing all my hearing on one side.  It's been hard enough just with a moderate loss.  Anyway, can someone give me a brief desription of these?  Can they be seen by others?  Do you wear them or are they implanted?  Thanks!
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: What are a BAHA and Transear?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 06:04:35 am »
Hi Nicole,

I'm not sure if you have had a chance to peruse the "Hearing Issues" forum (http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?board=17.0) but there are many threads/conversations about BAHA and Transear (even a rep from Transear, Rick, participates on this discussion forum).  Hoping that forum will help give you answers you seek.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 10:52:27 pm »
Nicole -

as Phyl mentioned there are lots of posts about both the TransEar and the BAHA - you can find them by searching, but I'll give you a quick rundown.

The TransEar is a hearing aid that you wear inside your ear.  I don't know a lot about it, but from what I've read on this forum, those who have it really like it.  TransEar users that come to mind are Boppie and Katie (krbonner) - although I know for a fact there are many others.

The BAHA is an implant (bone-attached hearing aid) and involves having a titanium fixture implanted into your skull.  There is nothing worn in your ear.  The processor (aka hearing aid) attaches to an abutment which attaches to the fixture.  Most women with BAHAs have hair long enough to cover them, even if they wear their hair short.  BAHAs are a little more noticeable on men if they tend to wear their hair short.  BAHA users on this forum that I can think of are Lori, Sam Rush, Ellis, Joef, and David Petty.  I just had the BAHA surgery 2 months ago and will get my processor in another month, so I'm not technically a user yet.  Catflower (Linda) also just had BAHA surgery.

Hope this helps,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 12:39:03 am »
Also, Nicole, these devices do not transmit sound into your bad ear, but "trans"fer it via bone conduction or some other means to the good ear.  And that's about all I know of that, since I do not have one.  You will be a lucky person if your insurance will pay for all or part of a hearing aid.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 06:42:12 am »
You will be a lucky person if your insurance will pay for all or part of a hearing aid.

Sue's right about that.  Generally insurance companies will cover the BAHA because it is an implant, not technically a hearing aid, but it depends on your coverage and your insurance company.  From what I understand, some insurance companies turn down the first request for a BAHA, but often change their answer when approached a second time.

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 09:34:10 am »
Nicole -

I just remembered that I forgot to say that BAHA processors come in different colors, which makes them less noticeable under your hair.  For example, my hair is brown, so my processor will be brown.

Jan

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 10:09:08 am »
I use a TransEar.  It looks like a normal hearing aid, and can be put in/removed like one.  It takes the sound going into your deaf ear and vibrates the skull so that your good ear can perceive the sound.  It will not restore hearing on your deaf side, and it will not restore your ability to tell which direction sound is coming from.  But I find that adds enough perception of what's happening on my deaf side that it's well worth it to me.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 09:25:34 pm »
Actually BAHA and TransEar for SSD are prosthetic devices not hearing aids.  Many insurance companies will respond with coverage if the right prescription (certified deaf by surgery) and coding is written for it.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 09:31:20 pm »
I didn't realize that the TransEar wasn't considered a hearing aid.  It's great that insurance companies will cover it  8)

Thanks for letting us know, Boppie.

Jan

Idaho

• Help YOU and your NPO's OUT Financially
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 12:01:29 am »
I had a 'fitting' and pre-surgery evaluation just a few days ago for a BAHA.  I was told it is covered by Uncle-Sam's insurance because it takes surgery to get it 'on you' whereas the other devices ....such as those on glasses....do not need surgery.  Since I WAS planning on having that surgery combined with the translab surgery, the surgery was a no-brainer for me.  I asked what the biggest problem for people using the Baha was...and was told it was the surgery.  And, I was also told some people choose to later not use it at all...why?

But the meeting was VERY informative.  I HAD thought the device was implanted, not just a tiny post the size of a pencil lead to clip the device ON to.  And, I did not know that the device had to be taken off for bathing, swimming and sleeping.  Which is good and bad.  And, the care after the surgery is important....cleaning, avoiding infection, just like any wound.  But, the screw is tiny compared to what I expected!!

The size of the units I was shown, was rectangle, about the size of the top of your thumb, from the nail to the first knuckle.  I have been SLOWLY growing my hair out from an accidental super short haircut for over a year; since I've been in a holding pattern!

So, enjoy your new sounds...it's better than the void!

IDAHO
AN tumor found 07-06, aft bouts w/Vertigo. Been guest  4>2yrs. Read/learned a ton!

Surgeons @ SLC want 2 cut imm; Am using Nutritional Supplements 2 stp growth

LEFT-2.2CM SPHERE & 1CM TAIL; IN Wait-n-watch

Evaluating LomaLinda's ProtonTherapy; hear ok -&& / OR-
House Ear Cl @ LA

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 05:26:09 am »
Idaho -

I think you'll like the BAHA - most people who have it do.  My doctor has done 200+ BAHA surgeries, and he tells me that he is aware of only one patient who has chosen not to use it at all.  She told him that she just didn't like it and decided post op that it wasn't for her.  In her case, she just stopped wearing the device and the skin eventually grew over the titanium fixture.

The surgery isn't bad at all  - a short outpatient procedure - and lots of people have local anesthesia; I did.  The sound of the drill can be likened to a dental procedure and the slight burning smell isn't flesh or bone - it's the heat given off by the high powered drill.  The titanium fixture is what is implanted into the skull - the device is a tiny little hearing aid which contains batteries just like a conventional aid - which is why you can't get it wet.  There is a risk of infection, but it's fairly small and generally the site heals very well.

Some doctors will combine BAHA surgery with AN surgery, but a lot of them don't like to for some reason.  Don't know why that is.

Jan

maria56

• maria56
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 04:07:05 pm »
Hi everyone, I had a large accoustic neuroma removed in March 1995. I was in hospital 1 month following operation. The dr said it must of been growing about 20 yrs. I had complications a CF leak. and brain swelling. I was very ill. It left me with balance problems, the right side of my face and eye is still drooped but not as bad as it was, i cannot raise my right eyebrow and the tear ducts do not work so i cant cry lol. also my right side of my face is still numb and i have no taste in the right side of mouth and cannot bear to eat hot food on right side of my lip as it quickly burns. i cannot open my mouth wide, and am completely deaf in my right ear which is very frustrating as you know. i was told back then that the only hearing aid available was a cross aid which put sound into other ear i had wires everywhere could not get on with it at all so i decided to join this website to get up to date imformation, because after 5 years i didnt have to see consultant anymore but i am left with these problems so what am i suppose to do? I see theres a transear that i might possibly be able to have, but dont know where to start I live in UK i noticed most of you are from the USA. its so frustrating when my children speak to me and i dont know where they are iv go upstairs to speak to my daughter and shes downstairs and socially i cant hear conversations, and when im walking with someone i have to place myself on the left side same as when im sitting next to someone. so i really would appreciate some advice i cant possibly afford to pay for an aid as im a single parent. do they do it on the national health? im new on here so just getting to know site. Technology come along way so i need to learn again to find out if theres any help and advice. Good luck to you all you seem to be getting all the help, well done. take care.
Maria xx  :)

maria

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 06:47:17 pm »
Welcome from the other side of the "pond" ! yea I can relate with noise location ... makes it a pain to locate the cats in the house!
Hearing aids do help hear "better" but I find location is not any better.. in fact its worse.. but thats ok it worth the trade off ...  check out http://www.baha-users-support.com/cgi-bin/2bb/2bb.cgi its a UK user group of BAHA hearing aids.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 06:50:21 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 06:52:59 pm »
Maria -

I could be wrong, but I think the BAHA was first introduced in the UK - from what I recall, America picked up on it much later.

You'll find the link Joef gave you very helpful.  I've visited there before - in fact, I think it was Joef who gave me the link - and it's full of great information.

Good luck,

Jan

maria56

• maria56
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 01:45:40 pm »
Hi Joef

Thankyou for your reply its nice to know people take the time to reply.  I'm going to have a look at that website now, I'm interested but still not sure, and i dont know
who i would see about it, i suppose i would start with my gp. I feel i'v been written off, even though i have ongoing dissabilities, maybe thats the way it is. I sound negative but i'm a possitive person, i just think there must be more help somewhere, but i am very grateful to professor Bell, my neur surgeon and Mr weir ent surgeon
Also brigidere Brasher for picking it up in the first place. anyway, take care and thankyou.

Maria
maria