Author Topic: What is AN Fatigue?  (Read 2566 times)

Victoriah1999

• CM Indy
What is AN Fatigue?
« on: November 12, 2007, 04:26:20 pm »
I need to know this.  I have been thinking that I was either being lazy or I was just doing too much stuff in a day...

Help.  :)

Raydean

Re: What is AN Fatigue?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 04:39:06 pm »
Not sure  what the right answer is, since there could be more then one cause.  I know that when there are  balance issues your body has to work harder to stay upright and that means alot of extra work for your body.  Your body and brain is trying to compensate in many areas.  Coping with a noisy enviroment, or alot of surrounding activity can also be a contributing cause, trying to figure out the direction of sound also places more work on your body and brain. Cognitive issues and overall increase in stress could also be a part of it. Over doing it can also set you back.  All in all your body is working harder now then pre AN. That has got to be fatiguing!!!!

Take good care of yourself.
Raydean 
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

berniejfnp

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 05:54:05 pm »
I'm glad that question was presented.  Recently I have been pondering what exactly is this fatigue that we hear so much about.  All I know is that I certainly have slowed quite a bit over the last year, no body aches just no endurance.  This is quite frustrating as I have always been very active.  My next thought is after the tumor is treated, does the fatigue issue subside or persist?

Berniejfnp

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 06:20:17 pm »
My AN fatigue issues didn't start until AFTER the AN surgery - & Raydean hit the nail right on the head as to the reasons for it.   Only lately, 16 + months post op, do I feel the fatigue slowly lifting....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 07:42:29 pm »

In the final weeks before my surgery ... after I took the 2 garbage cans out to the street I needed to rest..... I even stopped fishing! >:( ..

after surgery -- I sleeped for 23 hours a day -- and slowly -- very slowly got back to normal --- 6 months after -- I started to do spring yard work... I was all gun oh for 2 hours -- and then I would get dizzy... fatigue setting in -- I just stopped and picked up the next day--- I would go 2 hours and 15 min before needing to stop, every day/week it got a little better .. after a year I thought I was back to normal -- but now after 2 years, I feel even better! I fish or work in the yard all day --- I'm even kayaking for 6+ hours ;D  I've come a long way from taking the garbage out  ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

jtd71465

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 08:08:44 pm »
I would tend to agree....10+ months post-op I'm finally back to jogging 2-3 miles daily.
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 07:10:41 am »
Victoriah

My hope is that this link helps. It leads to a brochure (.pdf file) regarding "Brain tumors and fatigue", written by Dr. Peter Black of Brigham/Woman's Hospital in Boston and Nancy Conn-Levin.  This covers all brain tumors (malignant and benign), how fatigue tends to set in and ways to help conquer it.  Many, in the past, have found helpful info here.... may be worth a peek.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=3462.msg37212#msg37212

Hope it helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Patti

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 08:31:14 am »
i am 7 years post-op and i can walk for miles or exercise but need a nap afterwards if its intense or very long.  but the thing that really gets me is prolonged concentration or functioning at high level of mental stimulation for too long.  i think this is one of the reasons i get disability.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 12:11:42 pm »
Phyl,

Great Link!

You are awesome

THANK YOU

P.S. Just want you to know you ARE appreciated.   ;D (I am ANA icon button    ::) happy today!  :D ;) ) Have a good weekend!

P.P.S. In looking at the link http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=3462.msg37212#msg37212 I see lots of people thanked you and told you that you ARE appreciated. SEE Phyl ...  MORE evidence that you ARE loved by your AN family...  ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 12:29:07 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!