Author Topic: AN and phone  (Read 9903 times)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Re: AN and phone
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 06:27:28 am »
Hi Bertrand,

The Doctor’s that cared for my AN say in order for it to have grown as large as it did before removal, it had to have been growing in my head for 35 or more years. Check the history books, there were no cell phones or microwave ovens around when I was in my teens and 20’s...I’m 53 today. Likewise there was no MRI technology when I first reported hearing loss and such to Doctors. Back then they could not look into my head and see the Tumor like they were able to do a few years ago when it was found. That differs from today when a young person can be subjected to all sorts of testing that wasn’t available 30 years ago. I believe thats why so many young people are being identified with AN’s now days. Doctor’s have greater knowledge and much better technology to work with than they ever did years ago.

Cell Phones are the root cause of a lot of things, texting & driving and dying one them...not AN’s.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

FlyersFan68

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 10:23:44 am »
The news showed a person (didn't know he was on camera) using a cell phone AND smoking a cigarette. Just found that really funny. People just don't care either way. Kids are at the most risk because their brains are not fully developed until fourteen. My 13 year old son had a cell phone for over two years and all he does is text. Most kids text anyway. The increased risk that they mentioned was for a giloma not acoustic neuroma. BIG difference! I don't believe things like this affect people as a whole. Just another thing to consider using in moderation. 

lori67

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 10:31:31 am »
Kids are at the most risk because their brains are not fully developed until fourteen.

Age 14, huh?  I have a 20 year old and a 23 year old who might blow that theory out of the water.   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nftwoed

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 11:08:24 am »
Hi;

AN was mentioned in the recent 'WHO' report.
  A child's brain is not fully developed until they are 17, to my knowledge.
  I would think texting would be safe re, cell phone usage, BUT, there are a myriad of others sources of emission of low level radiation.
  Seems at this point, there still is no agreed consensus on cell phones and brain cancer.

FlyersFan68

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 11:51:25 am »
Could be seventeen. The news did say fourteen but the actual timeframe is probably not fully understood either. Maybe it's revealed somewhere in the ancient pyramids. My son was laughing too at the person on the news smoking a cigarette while using his cell. I told him that he wasn't much better texting with one hand and using his laptop with the other.

tweety

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 08:58:46 pm »
Bertrand,  Yes I saw this and have wondered about this since my diagnosis.  I always talk on my right ear and my AN was on that side.  The surgeons I have dealt with say definitely no.  I am just glad there is texting now as although I really would rather talk to people, it may be safer in the long run as long as you don't text and drive.  Tweety

Bertrand

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 07:44:07 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input!
 :)
42 years old, right ear AN, 0.6 X 0.7 X1.4, diagnosed 4/27/2011