Author Topic: AN and phone  (Read 9902 times)

Bertrand

AN and phone
« on: May 21, 2011, 12:06:25 pm »
Hello everyone,

anybody watched CNN's segment on cell phone dangers this morning (May 21st)? Interesting...
It made me think of a question for everybody here...

Is your AN on your phone ear ?

Bertrand
42 years old, right ear AN, 0.6 X 0.7 X1.4, diagnosed 4/27/2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: AN and phone
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 12:33:15 pm »
Hello everyone,

anybody watched CNN's segment on cell phone dangers this morning (May 21st)? Interesting...

Betrand ~  I didn't see the CNN segment.  My AN was not on my 'phone ear'.  

This question has been raised and discussed many times on these forums.  You can use the 'Search' function to read some of the prior posts, including mine.  I'll get you started with this link: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?action=search2.  

As a further source of information, the ANA has issued this statement on the website's information page in the section titled: "What is an Acoustic Neuroma?"

Cause or Etiology of Acoustic Neuroma

Many patients inquire about the cause of the tumor. There is a growing body of evidence that sporadic defects in tumor suppressor genes may give rise to these tumors in some individuals. Other studies have hinted at exposure to loud noise on a consistent basis. One study has shown a relationship of acoustic neuromas to prior exposure to head and neck radiation, and a concomitant history of having had a parathyroid adenoma (tumor found in proximity to the thyroid gland controlling calcium metabolism). There are even controversies on hand held cellular phones. Whether or not the radiofrequency radiation has anything to do with acoustic neuroma formation, remains to be seen. To date, no environmental factor (such as cell phones and diet) has been scientifically proven to cause these tumors.  ANA does recommend that frequent cellular phone users use a hands free device to enable separation of the device from the head.

I trust that all of this will be of some benefit to you as you pursue a possible connection between cell phone use and developing an acoustic neuroma.  

Jim
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:09:04 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 03:48:13 pm »
Bertrand, we have done commonalities before, think we came up with deviated septums and having some Irish in you as well (deviated septums all come with some history of radiation to head) neverless it is interesting to see what we have in common.  My AN is on the right side, my phone side but I never really talked that much.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 04:00:57 pm »
Now here's a topic we haven't discussed on the Forum  ;D

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lholl36233

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 04:57:33 pm »
Hi,

My hemangioma is on my phone ear but I've never been one to talk for long periods on the phone.  I really don't think tumor ear is related to phone ear. 

Laura
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Bertrand

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 08:09:19 pm »
Hello everyone,

Betrand ~  I didn't see the CNN segment.  My AN was not on my 'phone ear'.  

This question has been raised and discussed many times on these forums.  You can use the 'Search' function to read some of the prior posts, including mine.  I'll get you started with this link: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?action=search2.  

As a further source of information, the ANA has issued this statement on the website's information page in the section titled: "What is an Acoustic Neuroma?"

Cause or Etiology of Acoustic Neuroma

Many patients inquire about the cause of the tumor. There is a growing body of evidence that sporadic defects in tumor suppressor genes may give rise to these tumors in some individuals. Other studies have hinted at exposure to loud noise on a consistent basis. One study has shown a relationship of acoustic neuromas to prior exposure to head and neck radiation, and a concomitant history of having had a parathyroid adenoma (tumor found in proximity to the thyroid gland controlling calcium metabolism). There are even controversies on hand held cellular phones. Whether or not the radiofrequency radiation has anything to do with acoustic neuroma formation, remains to be seen. To date, no environmental factor (such as cell phones and diet) has been scientifically proven to cause these tumors.  ANA does recommend that frequent cellular phone users use a hands free device to enable separation of the device from the head.

I trust that all of this will be of some benefit to you as you pursue a possible connection between cell phone use and developing an acoustic neuroma.  

Jim

Thanks Jim! I think you a great moderator!

Bertrand
42 years old, right ear AN, 0.6 X 0.7 X1.4, diagnosed 4/27/2011

PaulW

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 01:22:29 am »
Its been a raging debate for many years.
The experts of the World Health Organisation will be debating the evidence starting tuesday and are expected to reach a verdict by May 31st
So we may have an answer very soon.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/05/world_health_organization_to_a.html

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 08:30:34 pm »
I actually believe that acoustic neuromas cause cell phones.  ;D 

In my case, I got a cell phone after diagnosis, because of the sudden upswing in the number of doctor appointments and arrangements that my life suddenly acquired. Seriously, though, ANs pre-date cell phones. Just ask the founder of the ANA.

Now that I have an iPhone, though, I can't imagine life without one.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 08:45:17 pm »
Steve~
Even though I see you on FB & play WWF friends with you and can "talk" to you any time I want...I MISS YOUR POST ON HERE!!!  They crack me up!!  Just wanted to tell you that...this was a really good one!!   :D

For the record, once again, cell phones were in boxes when I had my "huge" tumor removed and I had never talked on one...however, sometimes I wonder when my cellphone gets super hot!! Clarice and I were talking about that today...on our HOT phones!!   ::)

K   ;D

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 08:49:29 am »
...and if you dug far enough back, I bet you'll find it was a Tort Attorney that first raised the question of the relationship between cell phones and any number of issues of the head.  ???
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

sterry

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 07:55:09 pm »
If my tumor was 20 years old, so they think, my cell phone use began only 11 years ago, so I can't buy into that theory. Beside it probably spent more time in my back pocket, so the tumor should really be in my butt! Haha I too love my iPhone too!
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

Doc

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 08:15:40 pm »
...iPhone rules! I carry two, mine and the companied issued unit...they’ve even issued all of us road warrior types an iPad...don’t carry a laptop anymore!  No connection between Tumor’s and cell phones...IMO!

:D
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

JAndrews

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 08:08:34 am »
my tumor was on my phone ear. I haven't used a cell phone since my surgery. a few consults I had felt that cell phones could definitely be a possibility. one surgeon reffered to it as "the up and coming tumor in ages 35-40"
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Doc

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 10:10:28 am »
my tumor was on my phone ear. I haven't used a cell phone since my surgery. a few consults I had felt that cell phones could definitely be a possibility. one surgeon reffered to it as "the up and coming tumor in ages 35-40"

...that surgeon shouldn’t be speaking out of turn like that. Are you allowed visitors under that rock you’re living  ??? ? Sorry to hear you’ve been taken in by all the crap about cell phones...be sure to stay away from hot dogs too!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 04:31:48 pm by DoctorB »

JAndrews

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 09:00:53 pm »
if these tumors are so rare than why do most people know someone who has had one??? Why are so many young people being diagnosed? Why do so many people believe cell phones can't be the cause? A cell phone is like putting a microwave oven to your head
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.