Author Topic: acoustic neuroma regrowth  (Read 6388 times)

mrmel

acoustic neuroma regrowth
« on: April 16, 2011, 09:23:19 am »
Has anyone out there ever had a regrowth of a one sided acoustic neuroma years after surgery? I had mine done 14 years ago, and am starting to have a lot of neck pain on the same side and it radiates into the surgery site. It is probably nothing related, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced a regrowth in the absence of nf2.
                                             Mel d

Jwh

Re: acoustic neuroma regrowth
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:38:21 am »
Yes, unfortunately I have...Same side 8 years later.  Have you had a recent MRI?
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 01:36:20 pm »
I did three years after removal ..... same side.  Although there is some question as to whether a small piece of it was inadvertently left during the original surgery and began to grow after two years out.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 02:17:05 pm »
There are several Forum members who aren't NF2 who have had regrowth, both after surgery and after radiation.

Chances are your neck pain isn't related to regrowth, but you can never be 100% sure without an MRI.  I urge you to call your doctor and ask him/her to schedule one for you.

Good luck and please keep us posted,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

rayden1

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 04:10:08 pm »
Hi

Get that mri. Only way to find out.

Good Luck

Ann x

mrmel

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 03:25:49 pm »
There are several Forum members who aren't NF2 who have had regrowth, both after surgery and after radiation.

Chances are your neck pain isn't related to regrowth, but you can never be 100% sure without an MRI.  I urge you to call your doctor and ask him/her to schedule one for you.

Good luck and please keep us posted,

Jan
Hi Jan thanks for the reply. Yeah I think probably not after 14 years, but I had a bout last summer with some severe balance problems, first time since my surgery. I did vestibular rehab and brought it around.The neck pain is probably arthritis, but as you say it is best to be sure. Be well, thanks Mel!