Author Topic: Welcome to Houston, Kaybo!  (Read 4908 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Welcome to Houston, Kaybo!
« on: July 03, 2010, 12:18:15 pm »
Home of the big 3H....heat, humidity, and hurricanes. I am very sure you have noticed the NONSTOP rain that is currently flooding our fair city.  Please don't let that put you off.  7 inches in 3 days is nowhere near the record.  Let's see....when Andrew was a baby (1979) we got 26 inches in 24 hours where I live, out in the SE part of the city.  That was interesting.

I can't believe I just recently told someone we needed a good rain.  :o :o  You'd think I 'd learn not to voice those thoughts.  I have gotten soaked every time I have left the house in the last few days. The wooden gate to my backyard, which badly needs replacing, has sprouted some strange fungus. As soon as the sun comes out, the mosquitoes will attack and carry me off.

Okay.  I'm done venting now.  I will go back to my indoor activities of cleaning closets and cupboards. When I am done, I will curl up w/ a good book and something tall and cold to drink.  ;)

Moldy, melancholy, and malcontent
Priscilla
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:31:28 pm by msmaggie »
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Welcome to Houston, Kaybo!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 12:35:54 pm »
Priscilla ~

'Moldy and melancholy' - what a great screen name - or signature!  Sorry about the heavy rains in Houston.  Too bad Kay has to move under those conditions.  I trust the Texas sun will be shining brightly again very soon for both of you. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 07:51:17 pm »
Kay,

You might rethink the home purchase and get yourself a houseboat instead!   :D

I see many hair product purchases in your future - trying to tame all those curls in that humidity could turn into a full time job!

In the mean time, go out and stomp in some puddles with the girls and go check out the local Walmart.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 08:14:11 pm »
Really, Kay...the sun will come out, maybe even tomorrow (here's where we break into song  :D). And then you and the girlies can start exploring your new neighborhoods. Give me a call when you have an afternoon or two to spare and we can start plotting/planning something. I'm ready, willing, and able to navigate the city w/you and yours. And I even promise not to mention r-a-i-n!

Priscilla
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 09:31:03 am »
Welcome to Houston, Kay!

A big plus in this area is that the humidity is good for your skin............keeps the wrinkles at bay!  Even though the humidity is a hair styling nightmare, the humidity is good for the condition of your hair! The rain just makes everything green and fresh again!  Can you tell yet that I love Houston and Texas and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else?  I have lived in many states and many parts of many states and I always come back.
Once you start getting out and navigating the area, you and the girlies will have many new adventures and a plethora of friends and favorite places!
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 09:44:57 am »
Welcome to your new city, Kaybo.

Hope you, Dave, and the girlies will be very happy there  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 10:32:32 am »
Welcome to the 3H city.
I'm having flashbacks of Corpus Christi except for the rain, which Houston gets more of.
Enjoy the sun when it comes out and the AC too!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 11:16:08 am »
when you get there stand on a chair facing Austin and wave at my sister ...

she's been in Texas a year and isn't really sure about the weather compared to Tennessee ...when asked she just says ..."Welllllllll it's different "

hope you get moved in and settled soon
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Keri

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 06:22:41 am »
Kay,
I hope y'all are getting in alright and enjoying time with your family.
I've lived in Corpus Christi (did you live there, Maureen?), Nacogdoches and Dallas. I really couldn't stand the weather in Dallas. And every time you refer to TX weather people say, "But at least it's dry heat!" It's not dry heat; it's hot oven heat. But... I  love and miss the BBQ and Tex Mex and the Dallas Cowboys.
I hope the adjustment continues to go well for you and your girls, and Dave too!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

moe

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 08:43:22 am »
Keri,
Yes, we lived in Corpus for 6 very long years! I loved the 2 months of winter, but didn't tolerate the heat and humidity.
Being military, I also lived in Rockville, Md, Bethesda and Waldorf, MD.
NOW we are settled in Seattle where it looks like we have 2 months of summer! But I much prefer this.
Anyway, sorry for the hijack, K!
Maureen

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 01:15:23 pm »
Thought I'd add my welcome to everyone else's.  Of course, you've already found the nearest emergency room which will surely come in handy.  That Dave of yours is a real giver, isn't he?  Willing to sprain his ankle just so that you know the way to the ER... ;D ;D ;D

Debbi (hot, humid, and hazy in NJ)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 09:01:58 pm »
Wow! Thanks guys! I hadn't even seen this - obviously I haven't been on much - I'd rather use a real computer than my iPhone!  Yes, we have already been to the ER - Dave this time.  It's his ankle - not broken like he'd thought.  He started his first day (& tomorrow) working from home - thank goodness for understanding bosses!  Starting to settle in a bit. Mom left today...that was very hard! However, I made it to the airport & home easily! 

Lori - I think I have rediscovered my love of HEB!!

Priscilla- did you get my text?

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 09:27:49 pm »
I LOVE(D)  HEB. Hubert E. But or something like that! He's rich now.
Where are you living K? I know your house foundation just got laid......

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 06:35:43 am »
Hi Kay!
Yes, I DID get your text, but it took me a while to figure out who it was from!  Everyone I know is on the road these days, but when I read the part about your mom it clicked.  Settling in okay?  And you are right about HEB!  It is my favorite store, and I could spend days and dollars at Central Market!
Priscilla

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 07:50:37 am »
I am so envious of all you Houstonites being able to be together in one spot.  Sorry about all the rain, though!

..... and sorry about Dave's ankle.  It has to be looking up from here on!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011