Author Topic: 2 months post op and doing great!!  (Read 3830 times)

sarahinPA

2 months post op and doing great!!
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:46:13 am »
Hello everyone!!! I received a message this weekend from a fellow Ana friend, asking how I was doing and concerned because I haunt posted in awhile. First off, its so nice to know people are thinking about me and are concerned about my recovery, thank you so much!!

A few weeks ago I felt a "soft spot" right under my incision area, I went to see my surgeon the next day for an emergency visit with fear of a csf leak...he assured me that I didn't have a leak, but I was having fluid gather close to the skin, he said this was normal because the titanium mesh allowed fluid to move freely within that area because it wasn't a solid piece of mesh like the original skull. So, the soft spot stayed for a few weeks and I also have been experiencing a tightness in the area below the incision, it's worse when I wake up and starts to stretch out more throughout the dY but is always there.  Has anyone else had this tightness feeling??   It appears that the fluid isn't built up right now, no soft spit as of now, but the doc said this can come and go for many months as well as experiencing other strange sensations in that area.

Other than this, I'm feeling really great, 2 months post op! I went camping with my family for 5  days this weekend and even got to get on my kayak for a relaxing, calm river float!

I havnt been posting because I found myself reading posts on here And getting nervous that I was having more complications. As much as you all have helpEd me and supported me, my nerves got the best of me. I decided to take a breAk from this site because I was working myself into a nervous wreck everyday, so certain that I would have another complication and need more surgery. My nerves are getting better so I hope to be back and be a support for others very soon!!!!!
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 2 months post op and doing great!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 12:23:48 pm »
Hi, Sarah-in-PA ~

I'm so pleased to learn how well you're doing...thanks for posting the update.  As for 'taking a break' from the ANA discussion forums, I can understand why.  Many of our members, once past surgery and back to (relatively) normal, abandon the site, altogether.  You know what?  I don't blame them.  The AN experience can be tough in many ways and if a patient comes through it in good shape with a solid recovery, I can understand why they may be reluctant to return to reading about acoustic neuroma and other peoples fears and, sometimes, challenges or why some simply see no need to continue to read about and discuss a condition they no longer have.  Even the most well-meaning recovered AN patient will eventually tire of repeating their experience and/or reading about others.  A few of us hang around to offer some information, support or guidance to 'newbies' and those struggling but we'll all eventually 'move on', I'm sure....or maybe not.  Who knows? 

I trust your skull healing will continue with no issues arising and I know you'll visit us when you're able.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JAndrews

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 06:56:37 pm »
The tightness and weird feelings are all normal. You may have all kinds of different sounding tinnitus also. Sometimes it would sound like an orchestra was playing in my head..sometimes it would sound like beeps..this is all normal. I was freaked out also and emailing Dr. Brackmann and calling frequently. You may turn your head a certain way and all of sudden feel like your head isn't attached to your neck for a few seconds...this is all normal:)
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

sarahinPA

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 06:50:28 am »
thanks JA Andrews,

Sometimes I get a sound in my ear that sounds like a bee buzzing right next to my ear. the first few times I swatted away the bee or bug and then realized there was nothing there!!! silly me!!!

Thanks for letting me know that you also felt the tightness, it doesnt hurt or anything, but sure is weird!
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

mk

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 08:08:04 am »
I also have the tightness and weird sensations around the incision area, 5 months after retrosigmoid surgery. Initially the area was totally numb, but now I am starting to get some feeling back. However the sensations are very weird. If I touch or scratch one spot, I feel the sensation somewhere else. My neurosurgeon explained that I will have all these symptoms while the nerves that were cut around the incision area regenerate.
I don't have a titanium mesh - they placed back the bone, and attached it with bone cement. I did develop a "dent" toward my neck, behind the ear, about 4 months post-op, and the surrounding area felt quite swollen. However this has subsided now.
I think all these symptoms are natural after this major surgery, and they do get better with time.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Itheus

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 12:35:22 pm »
Hey Sarah -

Great to hear things are going well!  I believe we had our surgeries relatively close to each other...I'm happy to report I'm doing great as well.  CHEERS!   :)

The area below my incision is somewhat numb...I think it's gotten better but it's kind of a weird feeling.  No pain, though.  My dizziniess is still a little present, but getting better.  Fatigue doesn't seem to be a factor anymore.

I think it's great that you have come back here and told of your success! 

~Aaron
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:43:08 pm by Itheus »

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 06:44:11 pm »
Glad you are doing good, Kayaking!! that was great, that is a huge balancing feat.  I too have the incision thing going, I do massage the incision everyday as it gets tight and causes headaches and neck pain.  As far as the dents.......hope I don't ever loose my hair I will look awful!  Hang in there, I was told it takes up to a year to regenerate.....feels like I have a coconut attached to my head when I touch it it doesn't feel like it belongs to me.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

mk

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 08:16:18 am »
Oh, I liked the coconut analogy. I thought it felt like a balloon, but coconut is a better description  ;)

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Cindyswart

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 02:54:23 pm »
Hi there, I too am 2 months post surgery and that area of my head is starting to wake up, the numb dead feeling is starting to subside. The area right over the hole that out in my head is slightly swollen, I can feel the fluid underneath. Doc said its normal healing , just don't mash on it. Allow it to heal. Other that that, all is well!! Kinda crazy that the swelling came two moths post-op, but it has taken that long for some of the feeling to come back. I hope this is all normal...
Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 07:33:05 pm »
Cindy,
I still have swelling and a numb coconut of a head, it actually is all painful to touch and headaches daily, the Dr. says give it a year.....guess we have to patient with this healing, it was quite a surgery.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Cindyswart

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 09:51:54 am »
Well, I guess I will count my blessings! I have no headaches it just feels really funny when the cold air hits the incision, goose pimples and the area feels like it  draws up. And parts of my head are starting to have feeling. Guess we just have to wait and be patient!! Thanks! ;D
Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!