Author Topic: double vision 7 weeks post CK and dexamethasone (what were your side effects)  (Read 2535 times)

tenai98

I had CK on June 7,8 &9.  Was very tired the first week afterwards.   Since then I have experienced wonky head and some very slight blurred vision.  My AN at time of treatment was 2.5cmX2.1X2.2cm.   Today, I was in a major panic when I experienced double vision that last for close to two hours.  Beforehand, it was just slight fussiness. I called my doctors office and both of them are on holidays.   I was told to go to emerg, but luckily, I managed to get in to see my GP.  She prescribe me dexamethasone (decadron) at 4mg 2X daily for a week and then one a day for a week then half for a week.   I am reading up on it and boy oh boy, I am not liking the side effects.  My pharmacist told me I would feel euphoria and everyone would love me, but he never told me of the mood swings.   Please tell me of your dosage and side effects.  Yes, I know everyone is different, but I would like some ideas as to what to expect.
Joann
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
 tenai98,

I was given dexamethasone for a week or so before my surgery and have no recollection of any side-effects; but then, I was so sick I probably wouldn't have noticed if there were any.

About the double vision. I've been plagued with double vision and lightheadedness since before and after my surgery (over 12 years now). My surgeries were in '05.

A month ago I was prescribed prednisone for a bad case of poison ivy. I took the drug with great trepidation after reading about the nasty side-effects it had, everything from nothing to weight gain to suicide. I also noticed that taking a short course (12 days or so) was tolerated well by many peopleā€”I was one of them. I took it for 12 days. One the first day the swelling in my left forearm went away. By day three, the itching had stopped entirely and the lesions began to fade. Not only did it stop the poison ivy but every other inflammation-related ache and pain in my entire body, (i.e., sore elbow, knee tendon, etc....)
which are are beginning to resurface now, after a month. It was like a 2 week, paid vacation from all things infammatory

Steroids are a wonderful thing when used properly and short term, but do wreak nasty side-effects especially when used long term. They also effect people in different ways.

Check out this 1998 video of Jerry Lewis from the Telethon and read through the comments. He was being treated with steroids long term for health problems. He had gained so much weight I couldn't recognize him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahbWXJVGNVA&spfreload=10

5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.