Author Topic: Incision numbness ....... head, ear  (Read 6293 times)

Denisex2boys

Incision numbness ....... head, ear
« on: November 02, 2008, 12:37:41 pm »
I am sure this is one of the post-operative issues - right?  I am two weeks out of surgery and the back of my head on the incision side is literally like hammering on a tree trunk - there is absolutely no feeling directly along the incision site or the ear itself - it is creepy ..... some of the numbess appears to be wearing off as I am getting some 'bruising like pain' along the jawline and such.

Anyone?
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

cin605

Re: Incision numbness ....... head, ear
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 12:56:51 pm »
all of the feeling still isn't back behind my ear its still pretty numb ...i was told this is way normal...mine still even swells up some days.my surgery was 6/26/2008
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 01:21:49 pm »
yes, it is pretty normal - mine was numb for first few months. as long as there is no tear on your incision or any leakage, you are okay.  your body is doing all the healing but do check with your doctor if you have any doubts. 
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

Tamara

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 02:20:17 pm »
I've still got large areas of numbness, but figured that was better than pain ;)

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 02:21:41 pm »
Yes, normal. If it is already improving it will probably continue to improve.  Hang in there, you are doing so well!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 02:55:52 pm »
As others have said, yes, this is perfectly normal.

I had my surgery on 5/31/07 and my head is still numb.  Not as numb as it was the first weeks and months post op, but not "normal" either.

The numbness was actually kind of a blessing during my BAHA surgery.  When my doc injected the lidocaine into my head I didn't feel a thing.  I had to ask him if he'd injected it  ::)
so, sometimes numbness can have it's advantages  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »
This is one of the things surgeons don't mention when you have surgery.  They have to cut through all those nerves and that leaves the area numb until those nerves regenerate.  When I had my hysterectomy, the skin on either side of the incision line for a few inches was totally numb. Some of it still is in fact, after more than 20 years.  I remember being back at work, after 6 weeks, and I would get a sudden electrical shock along that area and I actually would wince and gasp with the sharpness of it, and my co-workers would ask me what was wrong.  Oh, just healing, I'd say.  But , gee, it was such a quick jab to the gut and it was very irritating and a bit painful! 

I wish my facial nerve would regenerate or heal or whatever, because I have facial numbness and I DON'T LIKE IT!  I deal with it, but doesn't mean I have to like it!
 :(

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 03:56:50 pm »
Denise:

Yep, normal.  I had it too.  The numbness slowly diminished over a 12 month period but the area still isn't quite as it was, pre-surgery  Not a problem, just a consequence of skull surgery (or any incision, as Sue noted).  Ask your doctor for his medical opinion about the numbness , but I wouldn't be too concerned about this.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 12:33:41 pm »
Denise-
Normal.  And, according to my doctor, I may never get full feeling back in some spots.  The only part that really wigs me out is my upper ear - can't feel a darned thing when I touch it!  However, I'll take numb over pain.  8)

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 06:20:07 pm »
Denise,
I've even noticed that some of the numbness comes and goes --- very strange but I would guess it's just the nerves firing and misfiring and also normal would be my guess.  My ear especially gains and loses feeling as does the area inside the top of my incision -- go figure!  I agree with everyone else, I'd rather have areas of numbness than pain. ;D

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

vjgfamily

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 07:57:06 pm »
Perfectly normal.  It will get better and better...but it may be slow.

VERL
AN Surgery in 1988 by Jack L. Pulec in LA.  Loss of hearing in right ear.