Author Topic: Finally had MRI today. Question on what tech said?  (Read 21426 times)

b28

Finally had MRI today. Question on what tech said?
« on: February 17, 2012, 05:46:25 pm »
Hi everyone,  I haven't been on for awhile. I finally my first MRI and I'm not sure what to make of something the tech said to me afterwards. Well first when I was getting started she asked what my symptoms were. I said the main ones were vertigo w/ nausea, off balance, and feeling like I'd been drinking. I slept during most of the MRI. Afterwards she asked if I gotten a nap and I said yes and I said I was tired. She asked if that was something I'd been experiencing too as a symptom. I told her kind of but told her I think it's from staying up late last night and getting up early this morning. Do you think she might have seen something and that's why she asked if I'd been experiencing fatigue too? Maybe it doesn't mean anything but I kind of wonder why she would inquire more after it was over. 

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Finally had MRI today. Question on what tech said?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 06:13:59 pm »
I don't know, of course ..... but my guess is she was just curious since it is rather unusual to sleep through all of that banging from the MRI machine.

Thoughts and prayers for a good report.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

b28

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 08:22:50 pm »
Thank you Clarice. Yeah I think it's kind of funny to say that I rested and slept during an MRI  :). There are other factors that I think contribute to it though. I found out three weeks ago that I was anemic due to heavy menstrual cycle. A normal level is between 12-14. Mine was a 9.4.  I was started on iron supplements and just started feeling a difference one week ago.  I had been extremely tired and exhausted constantly for months. I always would get out of breath and light headed and sometimes would start to black out just from doing simple things like going up and down a flight of stairs once.  Another thing that is contributing to my fatigue is that my marriage on the rocks right now and its draining the life out of me.  And I am the only one taking care of our 4 kids and cleaning the house.  I was so drained/ upset/stressed after being with my husband for the hour ride to the hospital it was nice to just be able to be alone and at peace for those 40 mins. Sad huh?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 12:33:33 pm »
b28 ~

I concur with Clarice that sleeping through a noisy MRI scan is a bit unusual but not necessarily indicative of anything specific.  Your iron deficiency and obvious stress from your troubled marriage would very likely induce fatigue so I wouldn't take the MRI tech's comment too seriously.  She is probably used to patients that are so hyper over the confinement of the MRI apparatus (many need a sedative) that to have a patient sleep through it simply struck her as unusual, even odd.  No big deal.  The results of the scan will give you the answer you're looking for. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

b28

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 05:08:27 pm »
I think another reason I was so relaxed is b/c I've had one before so I knew what to expect and my mom is a nurse so I grew up around doctors/hospital/ medical settings so I've always trusted them and anything related 100% and been completely comfortable. I'm very greatful for that b/c I know it's hard for some people.

JLR

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 06:50:26 am »
I think that when you went into the MRI tube and only heard the clanging and not all the tumult that you have been experiencing...it was a welcome rest. Never mind the tech..it was just conversation. You take care..keep us posted..stay well.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 10:03:17 am »
You shouldn't put too much weight into comments from MRI techs.

They are told not to reveal anything - good or bad - to the patient; that's the doctor's job.

The tech was probably just making conversation.

My first MRI (diagnostic one) I was bothered by all the noise, but subsequent ones (post op) have been very peaceful and relaxing to me.  Not sure why, but I kind of like them. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 10:21:05 am »
I remember when I had my MRI to find out what was going on. After I got out of the MRI machine and sat up the tech has this worried look on her face and asks "when is your follow up appt"? I told her and she said ok ok good. WTF :o
I ended up getting the report and the scans to bring to the dr's appt. So I looked at the report. I did not understand it so I googled it. MAN WAS I FREAKING OUT.

14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 10:59:18 am »
Jan if you like them,then you can do mine in April too.    Be in Iowa City April 11th at 2:10.     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Susan A

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 07:32:36 pm »
You shouldn't put too much weight into comments from MRI techs.
I second that!

My first MRI (diagnostic one) I was bothered by all the noise, but subsequent ones (post op) have been very peaceful and relaxing to me.  Not sure why, but I kind of like them. 

Jan

When I had the first one at the hospital near home I thought the noises were just settling into a soothing rhythm and I'd think "Maybe I could actually fall asleep now" and then they'd go and change :-(
When I had the second one (at MGH) they offered me the option of listening to the radio and I lay there listening to NPR - totally took my mind off the noises from the machine!
I'm hoping they offer the option of listening to the radio when I'm at NIH in August!
2011 8 x 7 mm AN, & 20 x 22 mm M found, both on the left. Mosaic NF2 diagnosed. Some hearing loss
2014 hearing 30% on left, now using hearing aid (HA)
2015 Now have CROS HA - no longer hear enough for HA to be useful in AN ear
2016 Use an FM system on occasion at work to supplement HA

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 07:59:22 pm »
I have been known to nap through an MRI...
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

b28

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 02:03:09 pm »
Thanks again for all the replies. I'm not too worried about it just wanted to see what you thought. Couldn't get in for an appt to get the results until Monday the 27th so we'll see what happens then. Thanks again, hope everyone has a great day!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 11:50:06 pm »
Jan if you like them,then you can do mine in April too.    Be in Iowa City April 11th at 2:10.     Cheryl R

Wouldn't mind a bit, but I'd imagine my insurance company would have an issue paying for two MRIs  ;D

Like Susan A. I think the noises make a nice rhythm and I find the whole experience rather musical and soothing; I've dosed a time or two.   

I've also become more adventurous; two MRIs ago my curiosity got the best of me and I finally opened my eyes while inside the tube.  Something I could never imagine doing when I had my first MRI.

Progress . . .

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Ned

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:54:09 am »
Mindy, I did the same thing. My ENT told me that I should have an MRI to rule out some things.  After the MRI I wasn't scheduled to see the ENT for a week.  I went to the hospital and requested the report the next day.  I too googled it and totally freaked.  Called the ENT and they said come right in, my BP was 210 over 115.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 09:00:43 am »
Ned I had read that you had radiation in 2002 or 2003 and it has shown an increase? What are your plans? I have to say that I am in the same boat.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012