Author Topic: Tinnitus and weird static?  (Read 2810 times)

ombrerose4

Tinnitus and weird static?
« on: April 12, 2010, 03:48:07 pm »
Hi everyone,

Almost 7 mos post op and tinnitus has just begun about one week ago. I never had it before or after surgery till now and I see how maddening it is! Has anyone else gotten it at this point or later in their recovery? I also have been having these strange sensations in my deaf ear- kind of like an electrical current trying to connect but can't, really weird and uncomfortable. I had similar sensations the first two days post op and likened it to my 'hearing impulses' zapping and dying. Maybe now they are trying to reconnect, lol ???  And with all this I am tring to get used to my BAHA, (which is amazing), but the tinnitus is interrupting some of my new found pleasure.  Ah, Pooter, this gift just won't stop giving! :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

wendysig

Re: Tinnitus and weird static?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:02:24 pm »
Lauren,

I had an experience very much like what you are describing about two months before my surgery and in fact when I had my a hearing test, that's how I described it to the audiologist.  A sound and sensation  kind of like an electrical current and a buzzing buzzing sound.  In my case, it was apparently the nerve deteriorating.  My word recognition had suddenly gone from 80% to 24%.  Did you have any hearing at all left in your AN ear?  If so, maybe my guess that this sound was due to the nerve deteriorating is correct.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 10:05:21 am »
I cannot remember not having tinnitus...low cricket chirping. For the longest time, I really thought I was really hearing crickets, and kind of enjoyed it...sitting on the back porch. It became part of me, and although I hear it all the time, it does not bother me. While I was in recovery from surgery, I got the static sounds like you, and thought if this was going to continue like this, it would drive me crazy. It went away in about two days and now I'm back to the crickets. You can only hope it is part of the recovery, and it will go away soon. If it does not go away, and since it is brand new to you, it will be hard to live with for a while. If I am around noise...tv, radio, back ground noise, I don't hear those crickets, but dead silence brings them out. Turn on some music and see if that helps mask the sound. Good luck to you.

James

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:06:00 pm »
Lauren,
I have had the zaps on and off and the horrible static every since I woke up from surgery.  I also have a ringing sound which echoes the noise I hear in my good ear and drives me nuts.  I had my hearing nerve cut and I still get the zaps so I'm completely baffled by what is causing electrical zaps and whooshes 4 months after the nerve was cut and almost since months since becoming SSD. 

One thing I can tell you is that coming off an anti-depressant (which I think might have been making my tinnitus wore from the beginning) has produced more loud electrical sounds in my head.  I started taking zoloft after my first surgery when I was having a really tough time.  Since weaning off the drug, I'm having zaps and whooshes like crazy.   If I taper too fast, I'll get zaps all day long.  Then I go back and taper slower and the zaps are less frequent.  So, medication can also cause crazy noises for sure.

Keeping my fingers crossed that staying off the AD will help reduce all the noise!

Hope your noise is getting more tolerable or gone by now!

Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

nanramone

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:16:33 pm »
I have not been treated yet. I have a constant somewhat high pitched static sound, and lately I occasionally "hear" a whooshing hiss, as if air is escaping from a pipe. Then the original sound resumes. I'm quite used to it and I am able to ignore it most of the time, and forget all about it if there are other real sounds present.

Nancy

mellowrama

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 01:31:56 pm »
Hi, I had 0 tinnitus prior to surgery and now it is nonstop mini jet!  Constant high pitched sound. 
Whew...it is exhausting and as you say maddening!
Lately I've really cut back my caffeine - it seems to help some.  When its really bad (in the evenings) I take half a xanax.
best of luck, melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011