Author Topic: Baha demo and some ?s  (Read 3875 times)

tenai98

Baha demo and some ?s
« on: August 04, 2009, 03:46:05 pm »
OK I now have the demo for a week. When it was put on, I didnt notice any difference in my hearing. Kinda dissapointing. But I"m not giving up. Tomorrow, I"m gonna try it out at the mall. thurs I'll go to my son's place and visit. Sunday I have a b/day party to attend, so will give it a run there as well. Then on Monday I have to return it. Now the good news. I fall under the hospital funding program so instead of paying 6 grand for it, it will now only cost one grand of which my CHAMPVA will pay 75% of their allowable amount. I feel blessed.
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

epodjn

Re: Baha demo and some ?s
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:44:19 pm »
Keep us posted on how it goes. I'm very interested in your experience and if you think it's worth it. I know each person is different but I'm getting tired of only hearing parts of conversations or having to always switch sides with people to hear. I hate being in the car. My husband usually drives and my SSD side the left side so I can't hear a word he or anyone else in the car is saying. It's so frustrating. We were in the car all day Saturday with my son, his fiance, and her parents and i felt so isolated because they were all laughing and talking and I missed most of what was said. That experience is really making me think about the BAHA
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 05:05:20 pm »
I sure hope it works. My problem being my right ear (good ear) is impaired but I fall within the limit for the BAHA...The audiologist said the CROS might be better. She will have one availalbe for me to try next monday....but i have my heart set on the BAHA...I will keep everyone posted as to the outcome.   
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
Baha surgery sept 22/09
cyberknife on June 7

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 06:07:57 pm »
I sure hope it works. My problem being my right ear (good ear) is impaired but I fall within the limit for the BAHA.

Hi,

Which model BAHA are you using for your weeklong demo -- the Divino or the Intenso? The Intenso is usually prescribed for those patients (I'm among them) whose good (non-AN) ear has less than perfect hearing. It's more powerful than the Divino.

Good luck as you try other devices and make your decision.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 06:12:56 pm »
its the intenso....at this point i dont find any difference with or without it......I am so hoping tomorrow at the mall will prove beneficial....I do realize that the actual implant will be better....
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
Baha surgery sept 22/09
cyberknife on June 7

Richey

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 07:14:49 pm »
Jo,

When I tried the demo a couple of weeks ago I could tell immediately that it was working. What they used for the demo was a unit that fits in the pocket of my shirt that was bigger than the ones that are used after the surgery. The tech. said that when you get the real thing put in your bone that it works much better than with the head band and that was why they use the bigger unit for the demo. I already have a bi-cross hearing aid but the baha demo sounded better and you don't have to have those aids in your ears. I had tried a demo in the past that did not show me much but this last time convinced me that the baha is the way to go. I'm just waiting now for the system to work, my next appointment in on the 17th.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 07:21:58 pm »
ya keep us posted, I tried the transear and had it on craigslist about 2 weeks later. A total Waste imho.
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06