Author Topic: Ear fullness....  (Read 1343 times)

Denisex2boys

Ear fullness....
« on: November 05, 2008, 12:05:35 pm »
Does anyone still have that 'feel like your ear is going to pop feeling' after surgery ...... I am stilll SSD on left - but seem to hear very faintly now .... but the conjested ear thing is driving me nuts - oh ya - and I woke up with NO HEADACHE today!  I did end up getting one - but so far today no pain killer - YAH FOR ME!  Faciial is the same as last week - as is dry eye, mouth and numbness - - but I did manage a nice long walk outside today - it is unseasonably warm here in Ontario, Canada - at 70 degree's - LOVE IT!
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

wendysig

Re: Ear fullness....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:16:39 pm »
Hi Denise,
I'm glad to hear that things are progressing nicely for you.  The ear fullness seem to be a varying thing.  My doc says the feeling of fulllnes will probably go away when the internal swelling is gone, however, I've noticed that some people who are well past that stage of their recover still complain of the fullness in their ear.  I can only speak for myself -- I am three months post op and the external swelling from surgery is all but gone.  I saw my doc today and he said there is still some edema (fancy word for swelling) but I have to say that I've noticed my ear feels much clearer, not perfect, but not completely blocked either, so there is hope for you too.  It seems that this, like so many other things having to do with our ANs, is very individual. 

Congrats on the beautiful weather -- enjoy it while it lasts!  It's actually warmer there than it is here, it's only in the 50s in New York.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Ear fullness....
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:09:27 pm »
Denise -

glad to hear of your lack of need for painkillers today; hope that continues  :)

As for the ear fullness, I had this symptom prior to being diagnosed.  In addition to diminished hearing, it was really my only recognizable sign - other than the MRI results  ;)

At the time I thought the fullness was just due to a sinus issue and was waiting for that "pop".  After 3 months when it hadn't happened, I finally saw the doc.

Post op, the fullness was there for a while, but it seems to have slowly gone away.  From time to time I notice it, but it's not nearly as aggravating as it was.  I don't know if that means it's still there, but not as full - or if I've just gotten to the point where I'm able to ignore it.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways