Author Topic: So I'm back with same concern/question....  (Read 1581 times)

Jwh

So I'm back with same concern/question....
« on: April 15, 2009, 05:57:45 am »
Hi all,

Five weeks later, I'm still having a vibration/humming sound in my good ear with specific audio sounds following my Translab 11 weeks ago.  I'm SSD in my left ear.  I went  back to my neurosurgeon a few weeks ago to look in my ear and he sees no problem with it.  Although he said my ear was impacted with wax and took it out.  OMG I couldn't believe how well I could hear out of that ear.  It was like putting on glasses for the first time  :)  He doesn't seem worried about it but I am.  I asked him if he thought it could be a tumor and he said the MRI I had weeks earlier should no evidence of one.  I have my 3 month MRI in the next couple of weeks so I worry about making sure my AN is completely gone and my other ear - ugghhh.  Will this ever end?  I've also noticed a popping sound below the ear drum on the good side?  Also mentioned that to him and not concerned?  Huh......  Is it just post op junk going  on or maybe some TMJ from the surgery tube?  Anyone experience this before?

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: So I'm back with same concern/question....
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 07:08:10 am »
Jen -

I haven't experienced any of this, but I think I recall others on the forum talking about "popping".

I've found in general though if your doc isn't concerned about something, that's a good sign.

Hang in there.  Five weeks post op isn't that long and things typically improve over time.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 07:11:43 am »
Jen,    I have the ear popping or a crackle in the ear with the last surgery.     I googled it and it is an eustachian tube issue.    I would have to look it up again to see exactly what it was but my dr was not concerned.    Mine might be surgery related but in reading about it ,ANs were not mentioned.    It still does it and now it is one of those many things that I've learned to ignore.                While I did get a tumor on that other side, it was a at least 3 years before gave me any symptoms to really know it was there.                         The noises might be some odd reaction to your brain adjusting to  your surgery.           I know one  wonders as when saw my surgeon last week for my one year visit since the last surgery,I had a list of small things to check out.    
                                                    Cheryl
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:17:57 am »
Hi Jen
It's been awhile since surgery and I don't remember specifically what went on, but I do remember some odd things in the few months after surgery.  Weird sounds, weird tastes.  I do have cases of TMJ -- but I think that's the result of favoring my non-synkinesis side when I eat.  And at night on occasion I still hear random thumps in my sleep -- which my doctor told me was normal due to sudden SSD. (And all the while I thought the thumping was from my upstairs neighbors).
Best wishes and keep us posted on your upcoming MRI.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

cin605

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 12:09:27 pm »
I think you will find a post "What kind of noieses do you hear??
I still get the poping draining clogged feeling 9 months post op .
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Keri

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:25:49 pm »
Hi Jen,
i definitely get weird noises - both ears seems like at times. i don't get popping, but i've heard others speak of that as well.
i hope the 3 month MRI info will be clean and that will help you feel encouraged and better about all of this.
i hope everything else is going well with your recovery. i'm doing alright! still get tired and my face isn't back to normal. still, i'm feeling fairly normal, but just a bit different. i guess with the noises - sometimes i'm just kind of fascinated with them. i seem to either hear ringing types of noises, or rushing air, or sometimes real noises that just sound differently.
i hope your kids are well.
take care - let us know about the MRI.
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jwh

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 06:23:10 pm »
Thanks for your responses. 

Keri - glad your doing well.  keep up the good work!  Can't believe we're heading towards 3 months.  Do you have an MRI at 3 months as well?

Well I finally scheduled an audiogram to see what the heck is going on with the good ear.  It's next Friday afternoon.  Wish me luck - let's hope that they find only a minor minor problem if any!  I'll keep you updated  :)
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 06:34:04 pm »
Jen,
This sounds a lot like what I experienced post-surgery, at least until 8 weeks or so.  The tinnitus was so bad I was convinced that they hadn't saved all of my hearing when in fact they did.  The doctor said it takes a while for everything to settle back down.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.