Author Topic: Back to work  (Read 5957 times)

kimmy

Re: Back to work
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 11:48:19 am »
Hi Jean. I'm doing fine at work. I can do audiotyping OK and answer the phone although I've only just realised that when I'm on the phone at work or at home I can't hear anything else and I've seemed to ignore friends knocking on my door!! I am still tired and slept 9 hours at night for the first 6 weeks but now I'm staying up later and feeling alright.
My eyes are better now I have new glasses and also I'm only using Lacrilube about every other day now.  I hope you're doing well and have a very happy Christmas.  The same wishes to everybody in the Forum.  kimmy :)

1.5cm. Translab at Manchester Royal Infirmary. August 2005

Patti

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 06:36:41 pm »
I was a teacher too.  I eventually resigned and still wonder if I am a quitter.  I had a 4 cm tumor removed and subsequent brain swelling followed by a second surgery where they removed part of my cerebellum to make room for the swelling.  This was 5 years ago.  I have been left with cognitive problems.  Basically, I get confused easily and tend to make mistakes more often.  I also look like a drunk with my balance problems and of course have the deafness, facial palsy and big eye trouble.  I do work now, part-time, and collect disability.  Those of you who went back to teaching are incredible!  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Jeanlea

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005, 09:12:15 pm »
Patti,

Sorry to hear that you had to give up teaching.  Sounds like you have plenty of reasons why you had to do so.  Teaching with cognitive problems would be much more challenging that's for sure. 

I have been lucky.  Being back in the classroom has forced me to keep working on my balance issues.  I only hear out of the one ear, but the only time I notice it is when someone is directly speaking to my deaf side.  I tell them if they want me to hear them they better speak to my other ear.   :)

Merry Christmas to all in the forum.  May the new year bring us all renewed health and strength.  I also wish a peaceful spirit to everyone.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD