Author Topic: Possible regrowth of AN  (Read 3334 times)

kford

Possible regrowth of AN
« on: February 02, 2010, 02:02:16 pm »
 :-[ What to do. I was two years out of gamma knife radiation, doing well except for one small complication that affect my facial and eye muscle function. Had an MRI last week and was notified last night my Dr.'s office staff that there possibly has been new growth to the AN. (I call her Betty) I was told that it was no big deal and instead of waiting a year for another MRI, I should have another one in 6months. I am really fustrated. Any comments or suggestions.  Kathy
Gamma knife procedure 1/25/08 for a 3cm AN. Left facial weakness after contacting Ramsey/Hunt Syndrome. (They say) No hearing in left ear.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Possible regrowth of AN
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 02:12:35 pm »
Hi, Kathy - and welcome, although I'm sorry your latest MRI showed some possible growth in your previously irradiated AN. 

As you may know, there is usually a slight (2 mm) differentiation in MRI scans and this could be the case with yours.  Swelling could also be a factor.  I believe that your doctor made a reasonable call in suggesting that you have another MRI scan in six months.  This should make it clear whether the last MRI actually picked up growth or not and if so, the growth can be addressed at that time. 

It's encouraging that you don't seem to be experiencing AN-related symptoms.  Your doctor probably suspects that you don't actually have tumor re-growth but has to be careful and observe the tumor closely (via MRI scans) and not assume anything.  Neither should you - either good or not-so-good.  Don't fret too much over this.  'False growth' on radiated ANs is fairly common.  Time will tell if that 'growth' is just swelling, MRI differentials or simply a 'bad read' by the doctor or technician.  Give it the six months. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 04:20:56 pm »
I agree with Jim (not a surprise to me), I wouldn't get worked up over it yet..  Besides the variance and expected swelling potentially after radiation, doctors typically want to see several mm of increase over successive MRI's before they're really informed enough to say a regrowth is occuring.  No use in worrying about what's out of your control (or knowledge for that matter) yet..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

LeAnn

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 12:13:13 pm »
I had big surgery on Dec. 10 2007. the doctors had to leave 5% behind, after 14 days i got Bells Palsy  it lasted about to weeks  after after 3 years it started  regrowth, I then on Jan. 5 this of this year 2011 I had gamma knife. went back for an MRI 3 moths later, the Dr. said the middle of the tumor had changed some and maybe it was dying, good news . however around the edge of the tumor was larger maybe swollen form radiation or maybe regrowth in spite of radiation. two weeks a go I started having very bad headaches, neck pain and now my I have Bells palsy. what in the world is going on. The answer is yes you can have neck pain, i am living proof. I hope this is Bells palsy and not life long nerve damage    feel free to email me here.

(Hi LeAnn and welcome. Had to remove your personal contact info... thanks for understanding. Folks can PM/email you here on the site. Please feel free to share your contact info in PM/emails.  Again, welcome! Phyl)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:46:24 pm by ppearl214 »