Author Topic: Air Travel - preasure?  (Read 3504 times)

bjkivel

Air Travel - preasure?
« on: January 07, 2015, 02:38:30 pm »
I'll be traveling for business / pleasure next week.  I'll be 3 months post and was wondering if any of you traveld soon after surgery as well.  Anything to expect as far as preasure? 

Cheers!
Right side retrosigmoid craniotomy
4.8 cm AN removed
Right side mastoidectomy / repair CSF leak
complete hearing loss right side

age = 41

G8trdude

Re: Air Travel - preasure?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 04:59:52 pm »
I flew commercial with no problems from LA to Philadelphia two weeks after successful/no complications translab surgery.  The post-op instructions from my surgeons said "Air travel is permissable two days following surgery...  When changing altitude you should remain awake, and chew gum to stimulate swallowing."

My good ear felt some pressure which I cleared by swallowing/yawning/chewing gum as I normal do, no problems.  My AN-side ear... I essentially felt (and heard, of course) nothing.  No additional feeling of pressure, no pain, no popping, etc. ...nothing.  Not what I expected, but certainly welcomed!  For me, the flight home two weeks after surgery was a big non-event.  Once home, besides being a bit wobbly on my feet from the very bumpy flight east of the Mississippi, I felt no additional/unusual discomfort on my AN-operated-side as a result of the flight.

I'm ~three months post surgery now, and wouldn't hesitate to fly (if I had somewhere to go)

Take Care
Diagnosed: June 2014 MRI, 2.3 cm AN right side
Symptoms: faint tinnitus, minimal hearing loss, slight balance issues, faint lip numbness
Status:Oct 2 2014 translab by Slattery & Schwarz at House = SSD. NO facial problems. NO pain/headaches.  Minimal balance issues.  Back to life!

bjkivel

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 05:30:06 pm »
Thank you!  If I can duplicate your experience....  Take care, hope everything is going well!
4.8 cm AN removed

age = 41

G8trdude

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 06:30:56 pm »
In case you didn't see them, there are a number of old threads discussing flying after surgery (most of them related to flying right after surgery, just type "flying" in the search box...).  A few examples are:
http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=16260.msg979735121#msg979735121
http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=14722.msg979722133#msg979722133
http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=15565.msg979729645#msg979729645

In my limited experience in this community, folks recovering "normally" seem to tolerate flying after surgery.

To further set your mind at ease, perhaps you should check with your ENT/surgeons to see if they have any concerns or recommendations around flying in your specific case.

And things are going well for me, thanks for asking.  Other than I'm fighting off my first cold post surgery, which has my good ear somewhat plugged up!

Take Care
Diagnosed: June 2014 MRI, 2.3 cm AN right side
Symptoms: faint tinnitus, minimal hearing loss, slight balance issues, faint lip numbness
Status:Oct 2 2014 translab by Slattery & Schwarz at House = SSD. NO facial problems. NO pain/headaches.  Minimal balance issues.  Back to life!

bjkivel

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 08:42:14 am »
G8trdude - thank you for the links to the other post and for the tip on seaching....  sounds like I should be just fine but will exercise the "pre-medicine" to be safe.

Cheers
4.8 cm AN removed

age = 41