Author Topic: Awesome Information  (Read 2439 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Awesome Information
« on: September 22, 2008, 06:07:24 pm »
I got this from the UK Bells Palsy site. It is awesome and thought I would pass it on..... Michelle  ;D

Hi Everybody,

Here is a compilation of all the great suggestions that EVERYONE has made with regard to helping cope with BP.

The use of lots of preservative free artificial tears during the day and a thicker eye gel at night to keep your eye protected and moist.

Heat - A wheat bag or a clean sock filled with uncooked rice heated in the microwave or a plug in heating pad... not too hot though.

A facial steamer for relaxation.

Swimming goggles to keep the soap out of your eye in the shower.

Soft foods... scrambled eggs, pasta, yogurt and a large selection of soups... not to mention... ice cream... to name a few.

A good supply of straws.

For those with mild pain associated with thier BP Acetaminophen (Tylenol, Paracetemol) OR Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nurofen) or whatever over the counter pain medication your doctor recommends for you.

For those who suffer from more severe pain it is best to talk to your doctor about gettting a prescription medication that is right for you. Lyrica (pregbalin) and Neurontin (gabapentin) have both been used with success for BP patients.

A contact bandage lens through your opthamologist to protect your eye.

Facial massage with your facial cleanser and warm water in circular motions.

Ear plugs for loud places.

Motorcyclist sunglasses with foam to block light completely and trap moisture.

Wrap around sport sunglasses to minimize light getting in the sides.

When your eye is very tired; holding down the lid with the back of a clean finger to offer temporary relief.

When it's hard to pronounce your words properly; holding up the corner of your mouth to help get the words out.

Breathe Right nasal strips to help keep your nasal passage open at night.

Neck Pillow for long car rides.

Extra preservative free eye drops for plane rides.

Fruit smoothies through a straw.

Paper or micropore tape to tape your eye shut at night.

For those with significant movement back in thier faces that are doing an exercise routine - an infra-red lamp for heat - making sure the light does not shine in your eyes - for a few minutes before you exercise.

Blowing your lips out like a horse a few times as a relaxation technique.

A relaxing bath with lavender oil... or whatever herb calms you down.

A good book.

Your favourite music.

A funny movie.

Being a member of this forum.

Taking a moment to stop and remember that sometimes our bodies send us a message to slow things down, take it easy and give ourselves some time to heal.

Continued good health and healing to all,

Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

lori67

Re: Awesome Information
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 07:58:24 pm »
Michelle -

All great suggestions!  I especially agree with the last 6!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
Re: Awesome Information
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 02:05:37 pm »
Michelle,
the list is very informative!! thank you for posting it!
i am going to fly by plain abroad for m surgery so it is good to know how to cope!

Once again, thank you,
Best ,
Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co