Author Topic: Nostril Collapsed  (Read 6525 times)

jazzfunkanne

Nostril Collapsed
« on: March 07, 2014, 05:14:03 am »
Has anyone else with long term facial palsy notice that there nostril has collapsed on the palsy side, i just noticed the other week mine had when some1 mention it had happened the them, not sure what causes it too do this x ps it does not effect my breathing x
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Brewers7

Re: Nostril Collapsed
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 02:02:30 pm »
Todd had this problem, as I recall
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 04:23:01 pm »
hi where can i find todd x

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 06:24:47 pm »
Hi, sorry, I was traveling today for a meeting NoVa.

I did/do have a collapsed nostril. I sought treatment for it last summer because it seemed to be causing reduced airflow since it would often close and seal during deep inhales.  The ENT my neurotolgist referred me to diagnosed a deviated symptom and so I had surgery for that. It did not really change my nostril much, but it did open it up some.

Now, the kicker is this. After everything had healed up following septoplasty, the nostril would still close with deep inhale. And that is when we found out that my 23 year old son experienced the same thing, same side. So, I have chalked it up to just another peculiarity of the human body.

I would say that my nostril has about 50% of the width of the unaffected side. It's not really a big deal and I seem to be the only one that notices...people are much more likely to notice that I wink on that side when I chew.

In my case, the asymmetry of the nostril is a good thing. I was so darn beautiful before, now I look almost human (instead of angelic).  ;D

Are you bothered by your nostril? If it is not affecting your breathing, unless there is some significant other reason for surgery or treatment, I would let it go.

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 07:08:20 pm »
many thanks for all the advice tod, no it does not bother me, i was just wondering how it happens, i take it is something too do with the palsy x

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 07:47:57 pm »
It is likely to do with nerve(s) mis-firing and causing the muscles to pull the wrong way or not null. I have such minor facial issues, I have quit worrying about it.

If it doesn't bother you, then enjoy not worrying about it. However, on your next ENT visit, it probably would not hurt to make sure that the entire nose is not offline badly, as that could need to be addressed. Always check with your doctor.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

alabamajane

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 09:18:23 pm »
Hi,
I also have this to a degree,, as Tod says mine is just slightly closed or more narrow than "good" side,, I don't notice it much and it only really bothers me while sleeping,, I have learned to compensate at night by gently holding  cheek back with hand while I sleep,,it's hard to explain,, ??? .. I have facial paralysis due to severed facial nerve during 2011 translab surgery so I attribute this to a lack of muscle tone on that side, much like my eyebrow does not lift above my right eye and my mouth does not open correctly,, I really don't believe anyone else notices this,, and I don't think about it honestly,,,
Tod,, one thing I did recently to help the eye "winking"during chewing is to have Botox shots in eyelid area,,, didn't think I wanted to do,it,, but it's been a little over 2 weeks now and it is SO much better! Not really noticeable any more,,, of course,, this will wear off and have to be repeated in about 3 mos. but if it lasts like this for awhile, I may just do it again,,,, one less aggravation,, :(
Good luck to you, but I agree, if this is not bothering your breathing,, I would not worry about it,, 

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

mandy721

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 11:22:46 pm »
My husband has this post surgery and his breathing is affected when he sleeps.   A few years ago, Jackie Diels suggested that he try Breathe Right Strips at night to open up the collapsed side.   He has been using them every since.

Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 08:17:54 am »
Thanks everyone, At my last ent visit about a year ago i told him my good side was blocked all the time he said i have Deviated septum  (didnt offer anything) , i now worry incase the palsy side nostil collapses even more over time and i find it hard to breath through my nose, i will get a referral and ask his advice (bear in mind we are nhs scotland and i dont have much faith in him).

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 08:19:39 am »
ps jane i have been mulling over having botox on my facial palsy for about a year, think i will as wht have i got too lose x