Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Radiation / Radiosurgery / Radiosurgery from a non-expert center
« Last post by drumfest on Today at 04:15:28 pm »
Hello,  I'm wondering if anyone out there can reply with successful outcomes at non-expert centers?  I had an appointment with a radiation oncologist at a local hospital & he assured me he can treat my tumor as his team is excellent, but he simply just doesn't see alot of ANs because there just aren't that many that seek treatment where I live. (San Antonio)  He treats many tumors and would do fractionated on my tumor with "The Edge" system.  He also told me he treats many other tumors that are more difficult than mine.  I'd like to go with him because it's the easiest option (insurance wise) and his team does have a reputation for being excellent.  It's just an issue with the lack of patient volume he's treated with ANs & most of my radiosurgery research has been gamma & cyber knife expert centers.  I'm fully aware of the possible caution with having treatment at a non-expert center.  I don't want this to come back and bite me that's why I'm writing as well.

Please reply if desired.  Thanks for reading.  :)
D
Hi KNF.  Sorry for your mom.  In this craft, each doctor seems to have his favorite method.  Another way to evaluate this is to determine which teams are the most experienced.  Also you can ask people on this site for their experience with these doctors.  You can also use the search feature on this site and see what comments have come up on their names.  The most important thing is a very experienced team with a great track record.  Best regards.
Post-Treatment / Re: Follow Up MRI
« Last post by v357139 on May 05, 2024, 07:41:24 pm »
Think I talked to 8or 10 doctor teams.  :D
Pre-Treatment Options / Re: Decision Anxiety
« Last post by v357139 on May 05, 2024, 07:34:46 pm »
Thank you for posting this.  My tumor is now growing and all the experts recommend treatment at this time.  I've done much research too, but it's still very difficult which way to go (radiation or surgery).  They both have their pros and cons.  I've had three ear surgeries on the impacted side and don't wish to go through a fourth and most difficult one.  I like the radiosurgery simplicity, but don't want to have dizziness rear its head in the future if I leave the tumor pressing on the adjacent structures.  I currently have a small amount of dizziness in the am hours typically & it gets better after noon.  Lastly, I'd like to save what's left of my hearing as I'm a professional musician & have been for the past 30+yrs.  Very tough decision!  Anyway, thanks again for posting and if anyone would like to reply, please do.

It's always tough choice.  Might help to ask the radiosurgeon about your specific radiosurgery concerns, and see what his replies are.  I had the same concern about mine pressing on the brainstem.  I asked the radiosurgeon about it and he gave me his answers.  I found evaluating his answer helped me to make my decision.  PM me if you'd like to talk.  Let us know how it goes.
Pre-Treatment Options / Re: Decision Anxiety
« Last post by v357139 on May 05, 2024, 07:22:19 pm »
I know how it feels.  Email me if you'd like to talk.
Cognitive/Emotional Issues / Re: When anger sneaks up on you!
« Last post by stevehernes on May 03, 2024, 02:55:19 pm »
I think it is a good idea to talk to someone about your feelings
Inquiries / Re: AN regrowth after surgery and proton radiation
« Last post by Director on May 03, 2024, 01:46:41 pm »
Hi Michellebelle007,

I'm sorry to read your post about the possibility of another treatment.  The ANA has a regrowth support group that might be helpful for you, and we can also connect you with peer mentors that have experienced regrowth. 

The regrowth group is meeting Thursday, May 9 at 7 pm ET, and you can register here.

https://www.anausa.org/programs/support-groups/upcoming-events

The ANA Team
volunteers@anausa.org
Facial Issues / Re: Hemifacial spasms starting 9 years post radiation
« Last post by stevehernes on May 03, 2024, 01:33:29 pm »
Consider reaching out to a different neurologist or a neurosurgical center that specializes in treating conditions like acoustic neuromas (AN) and related complications. They may have more experience with cases like yours and be able to offer additional insights and treatment options.
AN Issues / Re: Scalp burning after mri
« Last post by mwatto on April 30, 2024, 10:43:45 pm »
I feel its inflammation- a cool pack (you get those chemo ice caps but I just press a cold pack to it) I find washing it with cool water helps a lot and when I get the scalp tenderness NSAIDS def help. I got this way worse post covid so I think neuro inflammation. Since I dont get it too often at the moment I feel its improving.
Facial Issues / Re: PLASTIC SURGERY
« Last post by Kaci on April 29, 2024, 06:28:51 pm »
THANK YOU!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10