Author Topic: What to bring to Hospital  (Read 5523 times)

rays

What to bring to Hospital
« on: April 22, 2012, 07:08:44 pm »
I'm starting to get nervous. I go to St. Vincent/HEI on Tuesday night for a Thurs. surgery.  Plus when I went to my regular Dr. for a pre-op physical he did a chest x-ray and found a spot. I went for a PET scan yesterday but won't know anything for a couple of days. I can't believe I may have to have more surgery after my surgery.

My head is spinning trying to get everything in order. ???

Anyway, I may be taking the easy way out as far as packing goes, but can anyone recommend what I should bring (cloths, personal items) with me to St. Vincent's? My wife and I will be staying at Seton. Anything special my wife should bring for herself while waiting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray
2/17/12- Urgent Care dizzy/ringing in ear.Told sinus infection.It wasn't
2/23- ENT Doc Inconclusive.Sent to hearing test
3/8- Hearing test
3/12- ENT concerned w/test results.Sent for MRI
3/12- MRI
3/19- ENT sees AN.Sent to HEI
3/21- Dr. House recommends middle fossa
4/26- Scheduled for Surgery

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: What to bring to Hospital
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:15:16 pm »
Hi Ray. Nerves are understandable. You don't need anything in the hospital. Chapstick maybe. Seton Hall is not fancy but a great place to recoop. Be sure to write in the guest book in the eating / computer area. Archer, Dave C & someone by the name of Eric will all be saying at Seton the same timeframe as you. You may bump into each other. There is a tunnel from there to the hospital too.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

rays

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 09:10:06 pm »
I must need something to wear. I don't think people want to see me walking around with just Chapstick on  :)

Am I in a hospital gown the entire time in St. Vincent? I assume once I'm discharged to Seton, I don't have to be in a gown. What do you wear then? Street cloths, PJ's, sweats, shorts?

Just wondering.

Ray
2/17/12- Urgent Care dizzy/ringing in ear.Told sinus infection.It wasn't
2/23- ENT Doc Inconclusive.Sent to hearing test
3/8- Hearing test
3/12- ENT concerned w/test results.Sent for MRI
3/12- MRI
3/19- ENT sees AN.Sent to HEI
3/21- Dr. House recommends middle fossa
4/26- Scheduled for Surgery

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 05:55:48 am »
Hey, Ray...in addition to the chapstick, you will likely stay in your hospital gown :o...you can change into your own clothes if you want, of course, but you probably will not want to...much easier to stay in the gown - and you really won't care, believe me!  Once you are over in Seton, then lose the gown ;D and wear your own comfy clothes.  I wore shorts and t-shirts the whole time - the fewer zippers and buttons, the better.  Remember, you will be napping and walking, napping and walking - over and over...

Your wife will want something to keep herself occupied...books, laptop, etc.  Lot of down time for her also. 

Sorry you are also having to worry about something else going on in your body - wishing the best for you,

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 06:31:45 am »
Sorry Ray  ;D Like Cindy said you wear whatever is comfortable. I wore t-shirts and jeans. I walked & walked like Cindy mentioned. It was hot when we went so I did pack shorts but only wore those once I believe. I did not have problems putting the t-shirt over my head...I was just careful.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 06:59:02 am »
I must need something to wear. I don't think people want to see me walking around with just Chapstick on  :)

Am I in a hospital gown the entire time in St. Vincent? I assume once I'm discharged to Seton, I don't have to be in a gown. What do you wear then? Street cloths, PJ's, sweats, shorts?

Just wondering.

Ray
on
Hi, I just had to comment to your "just chapstick" thank you for the chuckle .... Definitely hospital gown 2 one for the front and one for the back no open views....hahaha....hospitals usually provide you with toiletries not sure about HEI .. I would imagine the same and then I hear about Seton I assume that is a step down floor and just bring things for comfort that is the main thing who cares after major surgery you want comfort no suit and tie that is for sure .. Comfort, comfort and more comfort ...

My prayers and thoughts will be with you and see you on the other side of this journey .. Half the battle is over you chose a great place to have this done.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 07:05:55 am »
I'm starting to get nervous. I go to St. Vincent/HEI on Tuesday night for a Thurs. surgery.  Plus when I went to my regular Dr. for a pre-op physical he did a chest x-ray and found a spot. I went for a PET scan yesterday but won't know anything for a couple of days. I can't believe I may have to have more surgery after my surgery.

My head is spinning trying to get everything in order. ???

Anyway, I may be taking the easy way out as far as packing goes, but can anyone recommend what I should bring (cloths, personal items) with me to St. Vincent's? My wife and I will be staying at Seton. Anything special my wife should bring for herself while waiting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

I am so sorry I responded to your chapstick comment and did not see this about the spot hoping and praying it is nothing and to have another thing to worry about..praying for good results. As far as your wife we forget it is just as hard on our family waiting all those hours to hear from the doctors just books, puzzles, laptop, magazines....no literature describing the surgery!

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

TexasT

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 12:01:06 pm »
Ray,

My wife had her AN removed via Mid Fossa at House/St. Vincents just under three weeks ago (4/4) by Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz.  Try not to worry too much about what to bring.  Also attached to the Seton Guest Center and St. Vincent is a professional building and there is a pharmacy on the 6th floor (not open on weekends).  Ralph's grocery store less than 2 miles from the hospital...also on 3rd St.

I would not doubt if the Tide we left behind was still in the laundry room, I would not be so optimistic about the Blue Moons in the kitchen however.

Going back to your question...bring a couple of pairs of pjs and some comfortable clothes for venturing out afterwards.  One week post op we had dinner at Duke's in Malibu (get the halibut and Hula pie if you go) and on our last full day out there we went to the La Brea tar pits, stood in line an hour for a Pink's hot dog, strolled on Rodeo Dr, and finished the day with dinner at Maria Del Sol on the Santa Monica Pier.

Since it will be recommended that you not read or watch TV I would recommend an audiobook for you that maybe both of you can enjoy.

My wife had an amazing outcome and recovery so far.  I hope your experience is like ours and that you are now going through the worst part of it, but once we got out there and started with the pre-op appointments we immediatelly realized we were at the best place possible and an amazing sense of calm came over us both.

Best of luck,

Todd

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 02:47:27 pm »
There is also a pharmacy at The House of Ear across from where you have your preop. They are nice gentlemen there.

lrobie

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 05:09:28 pm »
Mindy - I think I will bring a little more with me than just chapstick.   ;D

Ray - please leave the Blue Moons.  I should be there late June.   8)

Todd - Just reading your post makes me feel a little less nervous about travelling to California from Pennsylvania.   :)

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

TexasT

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 09:35:30 am »
Sorry if this shows up as a double post.

Lisa,

I have lurked around on this website since my wife was diagnosed in January.  I haven't heard of anyone complaining of flying afterwards.  We did get a tip from a former House patient to NOT ride in the shuttle bus after returning your rental car....she described that as "torture".  My wife did not have any trouble riding in a car after surgery, but we heeded her advice nonetheless.  We rented from Hertz and when we returned our car I told the rep my wife had just had surgery and we needed a ride to the terminal...no problem.

We both had high expectations as far as her outcome, but we were also pleasantly surprised by other things like patient care and food at St Vincent's to how little hair Dr. Friedman cut....very little actually, maybe a 1/4" strip along the incision.

Ray,

Safe travels today.

Todd