Author Topic: Older newbies who have a newly discovered AN...  (Read 2449 times)

Boppie

Older newbies who have a newly discovered AN...
« on: December 12, 2006, 12:18:47 am »
I want to clarify something... a point about age for surgery and a neurosurgeons expectations.  It has been stated that an older person would need to have radio treatments instead of surgery for an acoustic neuroma.   

I have posted many times about my experience and satisfaction with Translab at age 64.  We have several posters here who have had surgeries.  We know the each person's tumor is different and each person's health status is different as well.  The Otolaryngology team and your primary doctor have a lot to say about whether you are a candidate for surgery.  Past medical history and general health status are important factors that will be studied before surgery can be scheduled. 

Please do not assume that since you are "older" surgery will be ruled out for you.  I will be happy to answer questions if you cannot find information here.  There is plenty of it.  Use the Search tool above the ANA DISCUSSION FORUM FOLDER to narrow your search.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 06:52:49 pm by Boppie »

matti

Re: Older newbies who have a newly discovered AN...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 10:31:45 am »
If I remember correctly there was a poster (Mary?) whose mom was in her late 70's or early 80's that was nearly incapacitated due to AN symptoms and had surgery at House early this year. Last I heard she was doing great.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 03:18:27 pm »
Thanks, Boppie:

You make a good point.  I'm 63 years old.  Last June, I underwent a 9-hour AN-removal surgery (retrosigmoid approach) plus 26 fractionalized radiation treatments 3 months later.  I did fine.  Both my neurosurgeon and radiation oncolgist were elated with my lack of complications, rapid recovery and return to relative normalcy.  Of course, I was in (otherwise) good physical condition, which, with the prayerful support of family and friends, certainly helped me through the surgery/radiation treatments and recuperation.   

Age need not be a reason to avoid surgery if surgery is indicated, as with large (over 3.0 cm) AN tumors.   Of course, that assumes a patient in good physical condition.  Ultimately, only you - the patient - and your physician(s) can make this major medical decision, but the surgical option need not be precipitously ruled out based on age, alone, nor should it. 

Jim[/color]
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sam Rush

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 03:46:13 pm »
 At House clinic they consider AN pts young, until the age of 65 for statistical prognostic reasons, assuming that there health is fairly good(not perfect) otherwise. I had mine at 62 w/ no problem in spite of other health issues. They have an excellent full time internist who works for them. 
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05