Author Topic: It was a success!  (Read 6966 times)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
It was a success!
« on: October 01, 2010, 03:17:06 pm »
This morning I took my first, since my  AN surgery, road trip.  I packed my two month old grand daughter into her car seat and set out for SFA State University.  From my front door to my grand daughter's dorm is 192 miles.  I felt such a feeling of accomplishment.  I have ridden that far many times.  Always with someone else at the wheel.  I had lost my confidence in myself and because I felt I couldn't do that, I soon felt I couldn't do other things.  I was crippling myself.  This trip was huge for me.  I may drive to NYS next!!  Look out world.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: It was a success!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 03:18:16 pm »
Brenda ~

Those 'small victories' are always encouraging.  Congratulations!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 03:19:46 pm »
Way to go, Brendalu!!  What's on the agenda for the next adventure? :D :D

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

nanramone

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 04:25:56 pm »
This is great news! Good job!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 04:34:33 pm »
Yeah, Brenda !!!
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 06:49:48 pm »
Well done, Brendalu! So you have grandchildren ranging in age from college age down to two months? That in itself has to keep life exciting.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jill Marie

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 08:05:23 pm »
Congratulations Brendalu, 

My first road trip was about the same distance & I just wanted to keep on going, was actually sorry I got to my destination.  One small step for Brendalu, one big step for her confidence!  Hope there are many more great adventures to come.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

lori67

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 08:52:26 pm »
So, when are you coming to Virginia Beach?   ;D

Way to go!  I know exactly how you feel - my first big road trip made me pretty proud of myself too!

Can't wait to hear what you'll be up to next! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 09:29:12 pm »
SO a drive to Missouri City shouldn't be any problem at all!!   ::)

Way to go, girl!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 12:31:11 am »
Congratulations on this big achievement, Brendalu.

It's hard to have confidence in your abilities post op; have been there myself.

I first tried to ride a bicycle a few months post op.  I promptly ran into some bushes and gave up.  It took me a whole year to try again - and at that point I was successful.  I think if I would have just tried again after my initial "failure" it would have been much sooner than one year before I was successful at this task.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 12:42:40 am »
Yes, those firsts are always a good thing, eh? Here's to many more good "firsts"! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Brendalu

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 07:29:25 am »
Thanks all!  When my kids were little (they are 39 and 34 now) it was nothing to pack them into the car and drive the thirty hours to NYS just for a long weekend !  My girls and I drove all over the US.  Losing confidence in my driving ability and having the State restrict my license to daytime hours only really was like a sucker punch!  The "Rita" evacuation just two months after my surgery didn't help at all either........ 
Jan, I have been trying to ride my bike for the past five years....don't know if I will ever have the balance it takes to keep it upright....I might add I fall off the stationary bike in the fitness center every time I go and try it....did PT for three years.....um not worth the money it cost!
I have five grand children, oldest is Jensen almost 19, next up is Paxton, 17 and a Senior this year, Dawson rounds out my oldest daughter's kids at 7 years old.  My youngest daughter finally blessed us with a ready made grandson age 6 and little Miss Peiton was born in July....I stay very busy.
Kay...a Missouri City is a piece of cake...I drive to Montrose every morning at 6:30 and back again at 4:30.so that i have the pleasure of Peiton's company everyday while her Mommy works.
Enjoy your weekend all, I know I will.
Brenda

Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 06:39:56 am »
BRENDA!!!!!!!!!!  :-*  :-*  :-*

What a wonderful accomplishment!!!!!!!!!  As my bloke would say, "good on ya!".  Like you, I'm also nervous about taking the wheel for long drives and longest I've done since my diagnosis (over 5 yrs ago) is 1-1/2 hr drive.... may I find strength to do the same in your accomplishment! Well done! :)

xo
Phyl

(btw, any pugs go for the ride? you KNOW they LOVE car rides! ;) )
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Brendalu

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 06:45:40 am »
No Pugs along for this ride......the littlest grand daughter went and the youngest Pug...just a year old is too hyper to trust with the baby!  They love to ride in the work vans and go to work with us daily......Sophie and Bella are the office mascots! :-)  How is Queenie Beanie? 
Huggles,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 06:52:53 am »
well, the next long ride you do, you must take those lovely Sophie and Bella along for the ride! :)  Queenie Beanie (not doing well lately...... under close Vet watch and trying to determine what is bothering her 13-1/2 yr old little body) will go for a short car ride with me today to see her "grandpa".  She has her own doggie seat in the back seat (we always seatbelt her in) which is high enough for her to peek out the window and bark at passing walkers/joggers/other dogs/leaves falling/wind blowing/car moving and any other reason to bark :)

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"