Author Topic: What a week!  (Read 5263 times)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
What a week!
« on: July 18, 2010, 08:22:19 pm »
So glad today starts a new week!  Last Monday my favorite aunt passed away.  She has been sick for a while, but she was only 73 and it is so hard to say goodbye.  Thursday, I went to my younger daughter's sonogram and doctor's appointment.  The sonogram went great, but Peiton is 7 lbs and 14 oz already!  Our family normally has much smaller babies.  Michelle went back for her doctor's appointment while I waited and marveled at all of the baby carriers and what vastly different shapes the bellys were.  One lady with a soccer ball bump told me she was two weeks past due!  Another lady looked like she was easily carrying three watermelons.  Some bellys were long and  others very round and pronounced.  It passed the time away quickly.  I looked up and my daughter was rushing out of the doctor's office sobbing.  A nurse followed her and explained to me that Michelle needed to go directly to labor and delivery.  She had gained twenty pounds in a week (Michelle has a been a stickler watching her food intake and what she ate...no caffeine, no sweets, she ate very healthy choices).  They wanted her checked out in labor and delivery and a slew of tests done.  Blood pressure was sky high...but whose wouldn't be gaining twenty pounds in a week.  Fortunately all of the blood work, liver function and urinalysis came back great.  Her blood pressure went down to it's new norm and then the doctor came in.  She picked an awesome doctor.  I fell a little in love just listening to him.  He put her on bed rest...I thought she was going to have a stroke.  She is a paralegal and her law firm is involved in several high profile cases right now.  He finally agreed that she could go in to work to get her things in order, but only for the day and only if she had a ride to and from...........her goes Mom again!  She lives sixty miles from me and forty -five minutes from her work.  She was given a twenty-four urine catch test and it has to be delivered first thing in the morning tomorrow.  Tuesday morning she has another doctor appointment and he will decide whether or not Peiton is gong to be born Tuesday or a few days from then.  We are all on standby!  David (my husband) and I were at our shop on  Saturday morning when David got a phone call.  His step dad, the man who raised him had passed away.  Even though a person is on hospice and you have said your goodbyes several times over the past year and a half, it hit him like a ton of bricks.  David's Mom and step -Dad lived in Kansas and we have made several trips up there when he has has one stroke after another.  Mac was almost 89 and had lived a good life, but to David. Mac was still the guy who played ball with him, taught him to drive, taught him to fix cars and was there for him.  It has been an up and down week.  I am praying everything goes okay with my Michelle's delivery and she has a healthy, happy baby girl.  I also hope that prayers heal David and his family.
I hope when I post again I have really good news.
Love to all,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: What a week!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 10:52:27 pm »
Hi, Brenda ~

You've certainly had an eventful week!  Allow me to offer my condolences on your husband's step-fathers passing and my hope for a healthy mother and child as your daughter prepares for the birth of her baby.  It must be quite revealing to share in the beginning of one life and the end of another in such a short period of time.  Our mortality is always with us but when it's up close and personal, it sharpens our focus a bit and serves as a reminder of what is truly important.  Its people we love and our relationships with them, far more than any material possession, but, considering your recent experiences, I'm sure you're well aware of that.  Brenda, you, your husband, David, your daughter Michelle and her soon-to-be-born baby, Peiton, will be in the thoughts and prayers of many, including me. Lets hope this week is a bit less eventful  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 12:00:53 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

suboo73

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 04:17:25 am »

...Its people we love and our relationships with them, far more than any material possession., but, considering your recent experiences, I'm sure you're well aware of that.  Brenda, you, your husband, David, your daughter Michelle and her soon-to-be-born baby, Peiton, will be in the thoughts and prayers of many, including me. Lets hope this week is a bit less eventful  :)

Jim

Hi Brenda, 

Wow - so much happening last week. 
I too, wish to extend my condolences to your husband...you are right, we are never totally prepared, even after saying many good-byes. 

I too, will say prayers for your husband, your daughter, and little Peiton.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 05:39:04 am »
WOW !!! what a week ... will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers and hope that your daughter and soon to be grandbaby do well

my husband used to watch pregnant bellies and compare the shape , the size and the walk of the carrier ... some plodded like elephants others waddles like ducks or wobbled like drunks ... he cracked me up with his observations ... he only did this when I was pregnant and then got over his belly obsession ... I was a soccor ball with Hannah and looked like I could have delivered a whole soccor team with Sarah ... she only came out at 9 pounds 3 ounces ... they were expecting a ten pound plus baby  ... I gained 7 pounds from a Tuesday appointmet and Thursday the same week and they popped me in first thing Friday morning which was her due date ... only child out of 6 that hit theirs ... the medical world is so much better compared to when my 30 somethings were born ...

again prayers for all
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

moe

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 05:44:19 pm »
Brenda,
Yes, you had quite the week, and my condolences to you and David on the loss of your aunt, and his step-dad.
The cycle of life is interesting and emotional- hopefully some joy next week with the birth of your new grand baby. I know you're gonna "put on your cape" just for a few days to get your daughter through this time.
Nothing like momma being around. But please take that cape off and rest in between OK?
Prayers for a quiet week.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

tenai98

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 06:12:16 pm »
Wow, what a week to say the least. You and your family will be in my prayers.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 07:31:44 pm »
wow!  I didn't realize that it had been so eventful for you!!  You are all in my prayers!

K   ;D

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 09:29:21 pm »
Brenda ......

You have truly been on an emotional roller coaster, to say nothing of the physical strain of going back and forth.

My thoughts and prayers for you, your daughter, your unborn grand-baby, and for your husband!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 05:25:17 am »
Update:  Peiton Emerson Andrews arrived at 1:08 pm July 20,2010 weighing 7 lbs 1 oz and 18 inches long.  In true Mommy and Daddy fashion, upon arrival she stuck her tongue out at the doctor! 
We went to the doctor yesterday morning and Chelle's feet and legs were swollen so badly she could barely walk and her blood pressure was sky high.  The doctor announced that he felt Miss Peiton had "baked" long enough and it was time fro Mommy to feel better.  So off to the hospital we went...the troops weer called and arrived ( they all had to drive 60 miles to get there, as did I, but I had gone for the appointment) 8 minutes before she was born c-sections.  Chelle is being given magnesium sulfate to lower her normally low blood pressure (normal for her is 95/55).  When I left last night she was finally resting and she had a decent night according to hubby.
Thank you all for you thoughts and prayers.  God rocks and so do all of you!
Hugs and love,
Brenda
My grand daughter is working with me in the office today, so I will get her to post pictures!
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Cheryl R

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 06:42:29 am »
Congratulations to you all!       Sounds like good she finally did make her arrival to help Mom.        Yesterday was our youngest daughters birthday so know the 20th is a good day!       Our other daughters b day is Fri so close plus my husbands is next week. 
         Enjoy your new little gal!    Babies are so precious!                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lori67

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 07:58:45 am »
Congratulations on the new arrival, Gram!  How exciting for your family!

I'm sorry to hear of your losses.  Sounds like you have some wonderful memories of some very special people.

Here's hoping for a semi-quiet week for you.  I think you need it.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

moe

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 07:59:09 am »
Wow, congratulations grandma!
That was quick and it solved the problem  of all her symptoms!  And a beautiful baby-can't wait to see the pics.
Relax, ::)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Keri

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 08:10:33 am »
Congratulations on the grandbaby! Her name looks lovely  - how do you pronounce it? We are all so happy for you!
I am sorry about your loss of your stepfather.
Wishing everyone well in your family - prayers of comfort and joy and happiness!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 12:39:49 pm »
Welcome to the world Peiton  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Congratulations Brenda  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Can't wait to see the pictures!!

Anne Marie Xo

Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 01:21:44 pm »
Brenda ~

A just slightly belated congratulations on the birth of your grand-daughter, Peiton. My prayers for Chelle's BP to quickly return to normal and for the baby to sleep secure in the arms of her mother, surrounded by love.  Looking forward to the photos!

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.