Author Topic: Finally heading to CK!  (Read 4035 times)

Marie in CA

Finally heading to CK!
« on: November 20, 2007, 06:57:15 pm »
Well, after an extremely frustrating runaround with my insurance company I am finally heading in for CK at Stanford. 

We were headed for scheduling in JULY  :o and the HMO balked and said I had to see a different Neurosurgeon first.  ???  More runaround and when I finally saw him, he took a short look at all the previous data and said yep, go ahead.   Nice way to save money there  ::)

Mapping on Monday and treatment later in the week!

sgerrard

Re: Finally heading to CK!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 07:47:46 pm »
Hey, better late than never. CK is not cheap, I have just recently seen the bills from Stanford to my insurance company. I can understand them wanting to cross some t's and dot some i's before approving it, although 3 months seems a bit long to hold things up.

Best wishes for your treatment, they are a great team at Stanford, you are in good hands.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 10:57:50 pm »
Marie,

I was pleased with Stanford ... but yup I choked when I saw the Stanford bill too  :o... But I was insured.

This is your brain and you have every right to chose only the best!

If you want some uplifting threads to read before you go read these  :)

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5469.0

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5166.0

Been to Stanford, got the T-shirt ... but not the radiation. I am hoping that mine will die after we sacrificed the hearing nerve and I don't have regrowth ... however I am reading and hearing great things about the CK surgeons there...

All the best to you.

Keep moving forward!

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

aardvark

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 11:11:45 pm »
Congratulations, Marie!

I had to be my own advocate to get to Stanford, too.  One of the best things I've ever done for myself, bar none.

Steve's right about the team - they really are terrific.  

Looking forward to your impressions -

Adrienne

1.5cm X 1.0cm Left Side AN  Dx 8/05
CK at Stanford 9/05   Drs. Chang & Gibbs

Marie in CA

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 11:21:46 am »
Being a local, it made the question about whether it would be at Stanford not really an open one.  But the HMO wanted to have a doctor from my primary care office make the recommendation not the doctor from Stanford.  Ah well.

Step 1 down.  Had the Cat scan and the MRI yesterday.  I'm allergic to shellfish so had to do the CAT scan without contrast.  Made the question about needing an MRI kind of moot.  Everyone was great!  Kept me moving along from place to place well.   Nice to be able to do both procedures in street clothes.  My primary care makes you change to gowns for both.

Now I'm just waiting on the call to schedule the CK.

lori67

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 12:53:04 pm »
Insurance companies amaze me sometimes - and I worked for one for 10 years!  There is only one neurotologist in my area that could have done my surgery - but he wasn't on the list of preferred providers, so my insurance company suggested i find someone else or they wouldn't pay for it. When I asked them for names of other surgeons in the area who could do this stuff, they couldn't come up with any, but still insisted they couldn't pay for it.  Finally after talking to numerous supervisors, I had to tell them that I wasn't really going to let the old lady who works at the front desk at the hospital do my brain surgery just so they'd pay for it and if they didn't have any better options, they'd better get the checkbook ready.  They eventually agreed.

Then I had to have  the surgery on my eye, which my doctor could have done at his office because he has a surgical suite right there.  But no, the insurance covered the doctor, but not his in-office surgical suite, so they had to pay more for me to go to the hospital, pay the hospital fees, the anaesthesiologist and everyone else who may have glanced at my chart that day. 

I think their efforts to save money are actually costing them more in the long run.

Enough of my ranting - good luck to you!  I didn't have my surgery there, but I know the doctors there have an excellent reputation, so I know you're in good hands!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Marie in CA

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 01:14:35 am »
Scheduling is done.  Wed-Thu-Fri of this week.   Going to finish up almost exactly 1 year from when I started this whole crazy journey.  Joyeux Noël!

er

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 11:02:43 am »
Congratulations, and good luck in your journey. My prayers are with you
Eve

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 11:04:06 am »
Rooting for you!

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 10:55:17 pm »
I figure your AN is basically toast by now, the third treatment is just for good measure.

Mine started about a year ago as well, 2007 will always be the year of the AN for me. Can't wait to see what 2008 is going to be...

It is slightly early, but what the heck. Welcome back, postie. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 08:57:51 am »
Steve,

I cannot wait to send 2007 out the door and welcome in 2008. 2007 has been quite the year for me to. I plan to celebrate the New Year … with vigor. ;D :D

Marie in CA

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 01:05:21 am »
Well three days of waffle patterns on my forehead and I am done!  Everyone was great. There was another person doing CK for something else who I saw every day from setup to today so it was like having a partner.  We'd have a little talk as we handed off in the waiting room.

It was a bit eerie to occasionally open my eyes on the table and see the unit right in front of my face.  I tried to just relax and keep them closed but occasionally I wanted to see.

And contrary to what my second grade teacher may have written on my report card, I got told that I am very good at staying still  :D  ;D

I hadn't really noticed any side effects until tonight.  I just got a nosebleed which I am not prone to at all.  It's possible it's just due to it being suddenly really cold here and we are running the heater in the house a lot more.  It stopped fairly quickly, but it was a bit disconcerting.

Now I have 6 months until my next MRI.  I just wish I had enough settled hearing to sing again,  too much internal reflection of sound still.  This will be the first Christmas in 15 years that I won't be singing with the choir.  It seems really odd.  I do have enough settled hearing to listen though. So this will be my year to appreciate music.

Thanks for your support everyone!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 01:14:18 am by Marie in CA »

er

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 01:24:22 am »
congradulations Marie in CA,

It will come just be patient. How was the CK ?
eve

lori67

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 10:29:47 am »
Those darn second grade teachers! Mine said I was quiet and shy and didn't talk much.  HA!  Was she ever wrong!

I'm glad everything went well for you.  As a non-singer myself, I can tell you how beautiful it is to just sit back and relax and listen to the carols at this time of year.  You deserve to just enjoy the ride for a little while and I'm sure you'll remember the words when it's time to get back to singing!

Congratulations!!  Hope the waffle iron effect has worn off.  If not, hats are always stylish!   ;D
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 10:48:34 am »
I had a great 2nd grade teacher.
My eldest’s class went through three 2nd grade teachers in one year (we homeschooled the year after that- and 40% of the other students transferred to different schools)
My youngest had an absolute wonderful 2nd grade teacher… she had all the patience in the world for my little “wiggle worm� who absolutely cannot sit still without tapping her foot, wiggling her hips …
After watching all the 2nd graders… I observed she was just like the other bright curious and enthusiastic little wiggle worms.

I have had tremendous support from an AN postie who also happens to be a 2nd grade teacher here. I’ll be she lets them wiggle all they want – as long as the do it “quietly�.

Here’s to 2nd grade wiggle worms, patient and enduring 2nd grade teachers and waffle fashion (remember the waffle shoes?) – particularly waffle faces… and stylish hats (I liked the idea one postie came up with of a hat with  flower hanging over pointing to our deaf sides so people know what side to not talk to us on ;D  :D )

Cheers.