Author Topic: the stupidist thing people said....  (Read 37511 times)

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: the stupidist thing people said....
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2006, 09:16:14 pm »
those sentences are usually said when you (the victim) are trying to comfort them.  I usually cut them a little slack for that, heck, before this I probably was pretty crappy about what to say responses.  It's the stuff that makes no sense that I use for humor...like the thinking a sebacious cyst on my head that went away might have popped up again as my AN.  Hmmmm....a clogged oil gland and an overgrowth of the vestibular schwanna cells....yup, same kind of thing. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2006, 09:21:07 pm »
ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

*thinks of new thread*

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

*runs off to post!*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2006, 10:42:33 pm »
Static if you buy me tastycake butterscotch krimpets I'll adopt you  ;D

They gave that to use, philly cheesesteaks and pretzels to use at our work meeting in philly. 

They all thought I was nuts as I walked 9 city blocks to the mall to get panty hose.  I was so proud of myself since I made it to the mall (didn't recognize it and almost walked past it), didn't get mugged raped or pillaged...got to see the liberty bell because I walked, it was liberating to say the least..small town girl here ;D

Static

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2006, 08:35:39 am »
Batty,
I had thought that tastykake was distributing much farther than just philly and PA these days, guess I was wrong.  Butterscotch krimpets are definitely not as good as they used to be.  I remember getting them as a kid for .25 a pack, now they are way more and not even as good.  Maybe we can bring some on our cruise! LOL  Soft pretzels are my favorite so I'll bring some of them too.  I know lots of good pretzel bakeries around Philly but the thing is, like you said, not getting shot on your way!  My guess is that you went to the Gallery off of Market Street, the Liberty Bell and the hospital where I had my surgery are not far from there.  I'd say it was quite an accomplishment for a small town girl to navigate her way through Center City Philly.  Congrats!
Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Kilroy1976

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2006, 08:54:12 am »
along with "well at least" are the people who say "at least you picked a good type of tumor to have"....somehow I never considered using "tumor", "type" and "good" all in the same sentence, most of all when it comes to my brain.

Ha! Right! My PCP (the one that found the AN) told me that if he had to pick a type of brain tumor to have, an AN would be in his top three. "Top three" and "brain tumor" were also not words that I ever considered using in the same sentence.
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Battyp

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2006, 08:58:14 am »
Karen,
  I'm sure they have them here too but....it was def. more of an experience getting them there :o)  Hey I even made it around the govt building to another hotel to see my sister in law.  She happen to fly in the same time to get an award from work.  Taxis..we don't do taxis here  lol

DSki

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2006, 09:19:40 am »
Hey, Thanks for ganging up on me. 

I guess only a certain few of you out there are allowed to have an opinion.  I guess I was under the impression this site was for everyone.  Thanks for pointing that out to me. :-X

Also, Kilroy, you may be brain damaged, but i am not!!  I have all my faculties and am doing great!

I have read the good morning thread and after the first pageI did stop, I think that thread is a waste of my time to read.

I came to this site for help after a difficult situation in my life, guess I was wrong to think that maybe people who had been through the same or a similar situation as mine would be helpful.  Again, my mistake!!!

DSki

Kilroy1976

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2006, 09:33:43 am »
Phew... Ok... I'm sure we're all very glad that you're doing great and that you haven't lost your faculties. I'm also sure that if you have a question, or need some support, everyone on this board would be happy to stop their rambling and horsing around to answer or help you.

If you'd care to share your situation, every last one of us will do what we can to give you what you need. Have you considered starting your own thread? I did that when I was diagnosed, and I found people responding within an hour.
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Static

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2006, 09:35:42 am »
There are plenty of threads out there with some serious information in them and lots of help here if you just ask for it.  Seems you just picked a thread which we were horsing around with.  Keep reading, ask a question or two, this is a large posting site!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2006, 09:42:23 am »
Dski

No one is ganging up on you and I'm sorry you are taking this as you are. Rightfully so.  I well understand your feelings and please know that there are MANY useful threads here on this site for information to assist with any AN questions you may have.  As noted on the home page here, "General Discussion" is for anything and everything.  If you look throughout the rest of the site, you will see that the other forums are serious in nature and provide very valuable information.

Know that we do welcome you as a part of the AN family. Since this is such a rare tumor, we all must stick together and support each other in ways that work for us. If this thread doesn't work for you, that's ok.  But, we do welcome you, we do not gang up on you (like you say, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, just as much as you are) but know that we band together in unison to help us deal with what life has cruely dealt our way.

We are here for you... much more than you know.
Be well.
Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2006, 10:35:01 am »
Ok darn after typing a nice reply to dski I lost it before I hit the button....

Trying to play nicely today...I'm in time out today  ;D

Dski if you are new to this site then you are you newly diagnosed and trying to find some direction? We are always more than willing to share our experiences, celebrate the good and counsol with the not so good.  Many of us our post operative patients who are experiencing many complications and this is our way of being able to find some humor or comfort in an otherwise horrible situation.  We dont' know your story as you have not shared but please don't judge us until you know our stories.  There have been many threads trying to welcome new people (I even started it), many threads from new people welcoming them to the board.  If you do not share we don't know 1) why you are here or 2) what you need in the way of help, advice, listening, venting,  etc...

So with all that being said I aplogize if you felt ganged up on but honestly I felt like you were condeming and criticizing us for trying to find some comic relief (laughter is suppose to be good medicine) and sharing out heartbreaks, uncomfortable moments and unkindnesses we felt during this most difficult time. 
Please know we are truly here for you during this time.

Static

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2006, 09:14:01 pm »
Everybody has to deal in their own way, I have the comedy channel on right now, beats CNN or fox news, they are so depressing.  Hoping to catch Lisa Lampanelli if she's on tonight, if not I'm going out to buy her DVD, she really cracks me up! I heard she was on Leno one night this week but being the old fart that I am, I need my sleep and was out in la la land.  Weekends are my late nights, the kids don't have to get up as early this week and on Sunday mornings, it's pjs until at least 12 noon!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2006, 10:23:02 pm »
Static is she a heavy set red head?  Was she on with Simone from Idol?  If so she was a hoot.  8)

***Leigh***

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2006, 03:15:54 am »
i think these threads are great andthey do say laughter is the best medicine! when i was told about my an, the consltant described it as a baked bean, so i named it bean. my brother thinks if i get it out i should have it on toast! having said that i saw the post with the picture of an an and thought yuck! being a rather pink chick myself i think bean is pink too, not grey and horrible looking! think if i got it out id be allowed to keep it interest a jam jar as a pet? lol leigh x

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2006, 10:25:30 am »
My nickname from when I was a kid was "Bean"...from Kathleen.  Unfortunately I think of mine more as a large in the shell almond.  If I get it out I could feed it to my macaw as that's her favorite treat.

OK, here's my two cents, and they might not be as nice.  DSki, you felt the need to chime in and rain on our parade, then you get upset when we "gang up on you"?  There are those of us that need this thread for our own sanity, and obviously those of us that don't.  I would not venture to take away from your diagnosis, needs, anger, whatever, but to actually take the time to say that our thread is a waste of your time...is disturbing to me.  I wonder why you feel the need to make a personal attack.  My suggestion is to take a step back, take a breath, and start all over again with a new thread where we can respond to what your needs are.  This thread IS for everyone, and if it's a waste of their time, they can stop reading and just move on like I'm sure others have.  Some threads are that way for me...they don't hold information I feel I need. 

Thank you Becknell for your enlightenment, I am new and never knew the site before and I am so happy, for my own sanity, that it's not just serious and scaring the crap out of me.  Thank you guys, you are the best, I love you all. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar