Author Topic: headaches and calcium  (Read 6890 times)

cecile k

headaches and calcium
« on: February 04, 2010, 10:46:12 pm »
Ever since I was diagnosed with osteoporosis and taking a lot of calcium and vitamin D daily, it seems the severity of my headaches is much less....I wish I knew this 8 years ago...

Cecile

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: headaches and calcium
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 05:21:48 pm »
Cecile:

I've been taking a calcium supplement (1000mg) for some months now & haven't noticed any effect on my headaches either way. I'm glad it helps you though. How many mgs do you take daily?

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

cecile k

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 11:47:37 am »
Hi Syl:

I'm taking 1800 mg of calcium and 1600 IU of vitamin D daily.

Cecile

sues1953

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 09:25:23 am »
Cecile,

I thought I was the only one!  I am not sure If its just new symptoms for me but I definitely noticed that when I DON"T take my calcium I don't get a headache.  Also before I was diagnosed with this AN I couldn't take MSM ( a supplement to help with arthritis pain) I would get an awful headache.

It might be worth asking the DR. about.

Good Luck!  Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 12:20:22 pm »
Donnalynn,
Do you take the liquid form at night before bed?     I remember having some leg cramps when I was pregnant and my doctor told me to add a calcium + magnesium supplement in addition to prenatal vitamins.   He said the magnesium is great for muscle aches and cramping, etc.  and works to abosrb best with the calcium.      It sure did work great, but of course never took it after pregnancy and forgot all about that.

Thanks guys for mentioning this on this site. 
Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 10:37:03 pm »

I've been taking a calcium supplement (1000mg) for some months now & haven't noticed any effect on my headaches either way.
Syl

I think I'll take that back. I take my calcium at night before bed & find that I do sleep better now. And that's not all. It's been a few weeks now that I haven't got a headache in the early hours of the morning. I used to get them every single day.

It was a gradual improvement. For a while the pain changed to a brain freeze--more of a discomfort than pain, but it woke me up nonetheless. When I stopped taking pamelor in January, I would wake up part way through the night though there wasn't any head pain. Now, I sleep straight through. I can still get a headache after I get up in the morning, but I used to get headaches before I got up, then later on too.

I'm making progress. I hadn't thought about this, but maybe the calcium supplements are helping.

My next conquest..the headaches that I get at the end of the workday, usually when I go for my 3-mile walk.  Sometimes I rub some stuff at the site where it hurts--usually along my surgical scar. This stuff has capsicum, an ingredient from some chile pepper. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Syl
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:38:37 pm by Syl »
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 06:04:13 pm »
Donnalynn,
I know you're in Canada & myself state of Michigan.   Do you get Salus at a regular drugstore or somewhere special?  thanks Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 07:09:27 pm »
Hi Just my own personal note on Calcium. I also have found benefits from taking Calcium and magnesium in liquid form/ Salus brand. It is the MOST readily absorbable form.
 Most of us are low in Magnesium on a good day.. and low levels of mag are linked to headaches and muscle aches. Mag to me is ESSENTIAL  period. It smooths the large muscles in the body and aids in other things as well as ie constipation. When I take it at night I sleep like a baby!
 Vita. D is just an overall good idea especially if you don't have alot of sunshine. I was put on this after my AN surgery for what felt like a mild depression. It is amazing how great vita D is!
 Cheers! Donnalynn

Amen to the calcium, magnesium and Vitamin D!!  I've been on a supplement binge for almost 3 months (my New Years resolutions were to take my vitamins and floss.) I've also been taking a good multi Vitamin and Fish Oil.  Every little thing we can do to improve our health and mood helps!!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Mei Mei

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 05:28:23 pm »
OK,  Now you've got me adding Magnesium to my Multi, Calcium plus D3 and my Topamax.  I'm also taking Motrin and Tylenol as a buffer in the middle of the night for the killer headaches.
I'm trying to get an appt with an osteopath for a massage which was mentioned on another thread here as a method that was working for them.   The continued use of Motrin worries me as I think Capt. Deb mentioned that she went to the ER once for using too much of it.  Am I wrong.  I think it was Capt. Deb.   I'm worried about using so much Motrin, but I can't get through the night without it.   Three nights ago I had three back to back headaches.   I was really worried about using it three times but went ahead and did it, the pain was so bad.

Take care friends...
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

staypoz

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 09:56:58 am »
I take the generic version of Prilosec to try to deal with the stomach issues. Anything to protect the stomach!!

My doctor suggested that if I wasn't finding any improvement in my pain level from using some of the supplements, to stop taking them.   And you're right to think about side effects.  One that I was taking shouldn't be used by people with another condition that I have.  Who knew? 

Have you tried sleeping sitting up?  I got myself one of those wedge shaped pillows.  It doesn't prevent the head pain, but I find the pain is worse when I am lying prone. 

If it's any consolation, and if your head pain trajectory (we had the same surgeon!) follows mine, you are probably at the height of your head pain.  It does subside and change over time.

staypoz

Mei Mei

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 06:18:09 am »
Staypoz,
Did you have Dr. Tamargo or Dr. Niparko?  At my 6 week visit Dr. Tamargo told me to take Motrin every 4 hours and the headaches would last 2 more weeks.  That didn't turn out to be true.

I'm sleeping with the airplane pillow and last night didn't sleep all night plus needed a Zantac for indigestion.   Am nervous about the aides managing my father's care in the house.

Have a good Sunday.
Take care,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

staypoz

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 01:16:20 pm »
I had Drs. Francis and Tamargo. 

Dr. Tamargo never gave me a timeline and honestly, I didn't find him very helpful.   But Dr. Francis told me about one patient of his who had longer-term headaches.  He said I would probably not find any one solution to the pain, but might need some mix of treatments.  You can PM me if you'd like.  There is another postie, Marjoryb, whom Tamargo referred to the headache or pain clinic at Hopkins.   

staypoz