Author Topic: Getting my GK on January 8th  (Read 4965 times)

edhayes

• Edmunds Home Page
Getting my GK on January 8th
« on: January 01, 2009, 12:04:44 pm »
In 1 week I will be having my GK therapy at NYU.
I can't say enough god things about Dr. Golfino, who is my doctor there.
I am VERY apprehensive and frightened but I would be the same way for any "surgical" procedure. (I know it's not actually surgery)
So anyway, if all goes well at this time (1 pm) 7 days from now I should be walking out of NYU waiting for my wife to pull up the car to take me home.
btw - My wife driving in New York City driving me home to Long Island will be the most dangerous part of the procedure.

Wish me luck every one and I will report back after the procedure.

Edmund

sgerrard

Re: Getting my GK on January 8th
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 12:19:17 pm »
Well there is a name from the past! Hi, Ed, nice to see you again.

I think you will find the GK day itself pretty easy, maybe a little woozy. Like you said, the ride home is probably the riskiest part. :)

You may feel it a little for a week or so, but you are going to do great. Best wishes!

I have put your date on the AN Calendar, see the link in my signature.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 12:52:36 pm »
Ed -

as Steve said, it's good to "see" you; it's been a while.

Congratulations on making your treatment decision, which most of us know is not an easy task.

Good luck with the GK.  I'm sure everything will go well; I've heard nothing but positive things about Dr. Golfinos.

I'm looking forward to your update.

Happy New Year,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 02:01:34 pm »
Hi, Ed:

Not to dismiss Steve's sage input, but you might be very fatigued for awhile after GK -- or not. Everyone is different. Some people suffer no ill after-effects, while others (like me) became profoundly exhausted for a full month after RS, or radiosurgery (which, in my case, was CK). My purpose in saying this is not to alarm you but to let you know what might happen so you're not alarmed if it does.

The good news is that, in the overwhelming majority of cases, any ill effects from RS eventually pass.

No matter how big (or small) the bump in the road immediately after RS, it becomes smoothe payment in the longrun. Embrace your treatment. You are on the path to healing.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 02:49:01 pm »
Hey, Ed - welcome back!

Congratulations on having a date for your Gamma Knife procedure.  Having confidence in your doctor is vital.  Of course, having confidence in your wife's driving is something else, entirely.  ;)

Seriously, I wish you a flawless and successful procedure, a safe ride home and a swift and trouble-free recovery, even if you are a bit fatigued at times.  Enjoy the excuse to nap!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 06:34:57 pm »
Congrats on your upcoming GK treatment! 

As for how you'll feel afterwards, I can only comment on how I felt.  I had my treatment on a Thursday, stayed overnight and drove home Friday (with my then fiance) and returned to work the following Monday. 

Besides my supervisor , no one else really knew I had anything done.  As far how I felt...I felt as if I just did a whole days worth of yard work...tired and a bit sleepy but not in any pain; I was myself the next day.  The head frame is not that bad, they make you drowsy and put it on you won't feel a thing.

Best wishes for your treatment!

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

GRACE1

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 09:54:10 am »
Good for you!!  I hope you will have the same kind of experience with GK that I had - no problems at all.  You are using an excellent doctor and facility from what I have read, and those 2 factors are the most important part of your AN journey.  Keep us posted on your recovery.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

PrisB_NJ

• 2 cm diagnosed 11/2007
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 07:23:21 pm »
Hi Ed, we corresponded back in March 2008 when I was still deciding where to have my GK.  I ended up with Dr. Kondziolka at the U of Pittsburgh in May 2008.  The procedure went quite smoothly.  I had some bleeding from the mask holes initially but after sleeping the afternoon, I was fine.  We drove home to NJ the next day.  I just had my 6 month MRI and preliminary results show "heterogeneity which may reflect post therapeutic changes".  That sounds to me like perhaps some necrosis is taking place with changes in the cellular structure.  I have mailed a CD copy of the MRI to Pittsburgh and am awaiting to hear from Dr. Kondziolka.  So far I am having few problems, no balance issues, some increased tinnitus, some upper eyelid twitching. Your AN being smaller, I would think you should be fine.  I met with Dr. Golfinos and like him very much.  Good luck with your procedure.
Priscilla (ex-pharmacist)

Loggans

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 08:50:54 pm »
Good luck.  I had GK one month ago and absolutely no problems so far at all.  Went to my child's music recietal that night.  I don't know if issues my arise later as the thing dies but as for the proceedure itself, you are lucky to be able to go this way.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 09:50:24 pm »
So far I am having few problems, no balance issues, some increased tinnitus, some upper eyelid twitching.

I, too, had the "upper eyelid twitch" briefly after CK and was concerned. But according to Dr. Chang (Stanford U), this is called blepherospasm, or spasm of the muscles around the eye. He said it can occur in most normal people and is not caused by radiosurgery. My twitch ceased the following day and hasn't returned. Maybe this is different for you, Priscilla.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 02:08:17 am »
Hi Ed,
Good luck with your upcoming GK treatment. I would have to say any treatment for an AN is bound to be at least a little unnerving.   I hear Dr. Golfinos is great!  Your comment about your wife's driving sounds like something my husband would say about me -- pretty funny but I promise she'll never hear it from me!  I noticed you are going to try to come to the NY luncheon on Saturday and I hope to meet you then.  In the meantime, I'll be thinking about you and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

windy

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 09:26:47 pm »
Hi Ed,

I want to wish you well on your upcoming GK treatment.  I hope all goes great!  I will be saying a prayer for you.

Windy
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

GRACE1

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 01:14:30 pm »
Good luck tomorrow!!

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 01:28:14 pm »
Ed-

Good luck tomorow!  Tell Dr. G I said hello - he's a great guy and you are in excellent hands.  I hope the drive home isn't too frightening  ;D ;D.  Maybe you can get extra drugs for that...

Hope you are up to coming into NYC Saturday - would love to meet you, and to hear about your GK first hand.  I think you might be the only one in our group who's had radiosurgery?

Best of luck!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Joey

• Change could be right around the corner.
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 02:31:21 pm »
Hi - wishing you well and a speedy recovery.  You will do just fine.  The main thing that I learned was that it wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated - and the day will go by quickly.  If they try to give you a crappy sandwich afterward, decline and hit a drive thru on the way home in favor of a malt!!  Take care and be gentle with yourself.  I'll send good wishes and prayers your way.  ~~Joey
Left sided AN.  GK over and done with at Mayo Clinic on
10-2-08; according to Dr. Link, AN measured 15 mm in greatest posterior fossa diameter; used 11 isocenters of radiation to cover tumor volume of 2.3 cm3.  Follow up on 4-14-09 indicated necrosis, no change in tumor size and less hearing, darn