Author Topic: similar scenario?  (Read 1906 times)

phx

similar scenario?
« on: January 03, 2011, 08:05:12 pm »
Okay...it could be my anxiety again, but I've just been really afraid lately. I wish I could talk to my doctors the way I wanted to, but really, I feel like they just want to do their thing. Is there anyone out there who had a large tumor, followed by not so successful surgery, and then radiation? Please tell me that there hasn't been regrowth. I've been through heck and I don't want to go through it again. Please, please,  please someone! I just want to know that it is possible. I'm afraid I'm going to experience balance and vision problems again. I've noticed recently that my left side is always twitching and that it's growing weaker. Thanks so much everyone.

Phx

becknell

Re: similar scenario?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 08:42:34 pm »
I have not been on this site in a long time, and I am a caregiver, not a patient, but my husband had a somewhat similar scenario. He had a 3.5 cm An with surgery in August 2005. They were not able to remove all the tumor because it was stuck to the brain stem and facial nerve and in May 2006 he had Gamma Knife radiation to prevent the rest from growing. He has not had any regrowth and it has been almost five years now. We don't really think about it anymore. Really I think regrowth is fairly uncommon, based on the people I've talked to.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: similar scenario?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 11:38:51 pm »
Phx ~

I'm sorry to learn that you're experiencing anxiety about possible re-growth.  Although I cannot guarantee that won't occur (no one can) I can offer you my experience; 4.5 AN partially removed ('debulked') and it's blood supply severed, followed (90 days later) by 26 FSR treatments to destroy the remaining tumor's DNA (ability to re-grow).  Result: all symptoms disappeared following surgery, no complications to speak of.  Radiation was uneventful.  Follow-up MRI scans show tumor necrosis (cell death) and shrinkage.  Now, over 4 years later, I'm doing great.  I'm not concerned about re-growth and I would suggest that you not allow the (natural) concern to overwhelm you unless actual MRI evidence exists to substantiate your fears.

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.