Author Topic: 1 Year Post GK - Good news  (Read 1865 times)

Shorebird

1 Year Post GK - Good news
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:33:50 pm »
Hi Everyone, 

It's been quite a while since I posted anything, but I've been reading and trying to keep up with everyone's progress.

I had my 2.3 cm AN treated with GK by Dr. Georg Noren in Providence, RI last November and honestly (and very thankfully!) haven't had much to report since then...until now.  I had my "one year mark" MRI done last week and got my results today.  I was thrilled to learn that the tumor had actually shrunk a bit to 2.0 cm and that half of it appears black on the MRI.  Necrosis is definitely an encouraging sign!  I'm in the clear for another year!

I've been extremely lucky in that I don't feel any different now than I did before the radiation treatment.  The vertigo I experienced had gone away by GK time.  My hearing loss is very slight on the AN side (same as pre-GK).  I know that could change at any moment, but I'm no longer waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I'm running 5K's, working full time, volunteering etc.  I feel really good and I'm focusing on that right now - instead of on Tootsie the Tumor. 

Knowing some of the struggles a lot of folks in this forum are facing, I actually feel a little guilty writing about well I'm doing, but I know you'll be happy for me and I wanted people who are still researching their options to know that there are good outcomes.  I think people tend to forget to report the positive stuff sometimes.

I'm so thankful to have found this group.  You are all such amazing and supportive people.  Your advice and stories helped me make the right treatment decision for me.  I'm eternally grateful for your collective wisdom! 

Cindy

P.S.   I was sad to find out that Dr. Georg Noren had retired last summer.  I'm now under the continuing care of the Rad Onc on my team, Dr. Jaroslaw Hepel at Rhode Island Hospital.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 1 Year Post GK - Good news
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 02:13:17 pm »
Hi, Cindy ~

Your post was very uplifting and of course you shouldn't feel guilty about having a great outcome to your GK treatment.  We love these kinds of success stories from AN patients as it demonstrates that although some AN patients do encounter struggles, some do not.  I'm pleased to learn that you're one of the folks who had a fantastic result from her radiation treatment, recovered quickly and has moved on in her life.  I'm also delighted that instead of forgetting about us, you took the time to post your excellent one-year update.  Thank you for that.  I trust you'll continue to enjoy life as the radiated AN slowly fades both in size - and as a part of your life.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.