Author Topic: Balance problems at night  (Read 6037 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Balance problems at night
« on: April 22, 2009, 08:23:11 pm »
Hey guys!

My balance is getting better and better...I think it's because I've been out more, taking walks, shopping in malls, and putting my brain in the learning mode a lot.

BUT, last weekend at a concert, I felt like I was starting over a few times.  Dimly lit, slanted floors, wow.  I hung on to my husband's arm like nobody's business!  Wasn't any better when we went outside and walked to the car since it was dark outside. 

Truth be told, I haven't walked at all at night - is this something that would help?  Does that get any better over time, or is that something that I just need to adjust to and be prepared for some difficulty???

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Balance problems at night
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 08:55:16 pm »
Hi Kathy,

Didn't take time to look up the thread but if you go to http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/balancesystem.htm there is a great article on how our vestibular system, eyes, and muscles/joints work together for balance.  That means when one of those is damaged or gone, the other two have to compensate.  Since AN surgery usually results in a damaged or missing vestibular system on that side, until the other side begins to take over you are left with your eyes and muscles/joints for much of your balance.  In the dark you then are left with mostly your muscles/joints to stay upright.

In my case I have vestibular damage on both sides so night walking is literally a nightmare for me.  Thank goodness my husband is very aware of my need to "hang on" in dark places or on uneven surfaces.

Just enjoy the chance to cuddle!   ;D

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

bell

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:10:36 am »
It does get better with time.  Try walking at night.  When I get up at night, during sleep, I stand slowly and stand in place for a minute to adjust before I walk.
Occasionally I have balance spells that seem to bring me back to the first month after surgery, but over time I think balance has gotton much better.  I am a flight Attendant and been back to work full time for a month.  Some difficulty but I move slow and no getting up fast, and this is after 5 months.   Good luck.   Bell

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 02:35:09 pm »
Kathy ~

Regaining balance normalcy does take time and effort, but it happens.  I found that pushing myself to do what was difficult - walking down stairs without using the handrail, walking on uneven surfaces, at night, etc - all helped me to regain most of my balance ability.  I still have a few deficits but they are hardly noticeable and don't impact my daily life in any real way.  Hang in there, keep trying and in time, you'll be rewarded.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 04:30:50 pm »
I really don't have any noticeable balance issues when I'm in a well lit area - but darkness and slanted floors get me every time.  We have nightlights all over the house in case I need to get up during the night and if I need to go into my kids rooms, I usually feel along the wall or furniture.  I just feel a little off balance.  I guess the lack of input from one balance nerve coupled with the diminished visual input are just too much to deal with.

I haven't been to a movie theater in a while (see above mentioned reference to kids) but I'm sure I will be careful and stick close to whoever is with me at the time.

I did notice today, however, that my balance wasn't as bad as it had been in the parking garage at the hospital!  For some reason, that always seemed to make me feel disoriented, but today it was no problem.  So, maybe that means my balance at night might get better too?  I guess time will tell.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 06:01:15 pm »
My surgeon has mentioned that one may always have some night problems with balance even if get back to normal in the day.       I know it  causes me problems but I am not the usual ANer though.              I almost hate to go out in the dark and am glad for this time of year with lighter evenings.                      I am sure it varies with person too .
                                                              Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

OTO

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 07:28:58 pm »
This is my biggest problem.   My bedroom is pitch black, and I'm severely nearsighted, so when I wake up in middle of the night, when I first open eyes and move my head, the room spins as if I were drunk.   I need to get a foot on the floor, and close my eyes and try again.     I also plugged in a night-light which seems to help.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 07:38:09 pm »
Thanks, guys!  I'll not be turning off my night lights any time soon, either.  BUT..I think I'll start trying to test myself a bit more by walking outside at dusk, as long as I have an arm to grab!!!   

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Betsy

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 09:59:36 pm »
Hi Kathy,

18 months after radiation, walking at night is still one of my biggest challenges.  My physical therapist helped me with everything else, but the exercises he gave me didn't help with this.  I'm in the process right now of trying to accept it and "learn to live with it", which is hard because I'm pretty stubborn!  Inside, nightlights help a lot, especially the LED ones with white light.  Outside, I use a cane and a flashlight.  I also have one of those "pathlighter" canes that has a light built in, but I've found it's better if I see what's out in front of me (vs what's around the tip of the cane).

Hang in there, and don't underestimate the effectiveness of vestibular therapy.  The exercises don't look like much, but they really work!

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Mark H

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 10:16:43 pm »
I keep 4 night lights going in my little shack, along with what light I get from the digital clocks. My balance isn't real great in daytime but at night I'd say it's fairly bad. Fortunately my place is so small I'm never too far from a wall.  ;D
Mark