Author Topic: haveing op on 3rd september 09  (Read 12265 times)

denisecarey

haveing op on 3rd september 09
« on: August 28, 2009, 04:34:23 pm »
Hi everyone, My name is denise I am 36 and i was diagnosed with a an in may it is 3.8cm wide 3.11cm long, I find these forums so helpful with answering my thoughts of what to expect after the op.
age 36, live in UK
3.8cm AN diagnosed March 09
Retrosigmoid  3 Sept 09 at Heath hospital CARDIFF
debulked tumor facial nerve intact
headaches, balance issues and ssd

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Re: haveing op on 3rd september 09
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:45:30 pm »
Denise,
  So sorry your having to go through this AN stuff.  wow almost 4cm is a biggie.  You'll need to get that outa there asap.  Best to you,  I'm assuming they are doing translab approach due to size.  Best to you.  See you on the other side.

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 04:57:38 pm »
Hi Denise~
WELCOME!  Do you have specific questions about after the surgery or have you already found the answers to your questions in other topics?  Feel free to ask anything here - we are used to it all!  ;)  If you would like to talk to someone, I would be more than happy to call you - just PM your number.  Where will you be having surgery?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:02:45 pm »
Hi Denise and Welcome to this group of caring, supportive people on the Forum!

I hope you will feel free to ask any specific questions you may have.  When is your surgery scheduled?

As you have been reading, each of our AN journeys is a unique one but we are all supportive of each other so I am glad you felt comfortable enough to post.

Please keep us up to date with how things are with you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 06:07:29 pm »
Hi Denise!

Welcome to this distinguished group of ANers - not a group I sought out to join, but I'm awfully proud to be a member now!  You sound like you're in good spirits - I'm sure you're a bundle of nerves.   You've sure got a big one - mine was a good size too and it's great to have it out of my head!  As everyone has said (and meant from the heart) - ask away, we're all behind you and supporting you, and sending prayers your way.

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 06:32:08 pm »
Hi, Denise and welcome to the forum.

I had surgery also - retrosigmoid a little over 2 years ago - and my AN was about 3 cm.

As others have said, 4cm is a good size AN.  Are your surgeons going to debulk it and then do radiation? or just remove it surgically?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suboo73

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 07:05:32 pm »
Hi Denise and welcome.

I cannot help you with the surgery questions, since i am in W &W.
I have heard the one item you need to take with you when you do have surgery is chapstick- so put this on your shopping list!

My thoughts and prayers during this time.
Let us know your surgery date, so we can put it on the AN calendar - or you can post it there yourself.
Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 01:05:31 pm »
Hi Denise and please accept yet another sincere welcome from a fellow AN patient.  

As my signature shows, I had a 4.5 cm AN partially removed (the remainder was radiated) over 3 years ago and did just fine, with minimal complications.  I trust you'll have a similar experience.  

I've added your surgery date to our 'AN Treatment Calendar' here: http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d03/09/2009?authenticate=&display=M&style=B.  I only had the minimal information so please feel free to add more, if you wish.  

Thanks for posting.  Please post again if you have any questions you think we might collectively be able to answer.  We'll certainly try!  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:52:40 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

denisecarey

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 04:30:18 pm »
hi there every1 ty for all the lovely replies, yes i am having most of the an out then radiotherapy, surgeons r going in behind ear not sure what that is called he didnt say, it has been a very long 4 months since i was diagnosed I have been very good about it, I am very proud of how i took the news from consultant in may and how i have reacted since I carried on life as normal. I have found myself getting very emotional over the last few days but I know that an has 2 b removed (as soon as i was told I was saying gotta get this thing out) and am not ashamed of feeling scared as im sure every1 feels scared and emotional. When tumor is removed ent said I will b ssd. Ty 4 all ur support I will let u all know how i got on when i come out of hospital. Denise

age 36, live in UK

LOIS

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 11:50:53 pm »
Hi Denise,

Welcome to the forum.  This is a great place for info and support.  Where are you having your surgery done?  If you can, have someone keep us updated on how you are doing.  Any questions, ask away.  You will get answers to anything you ask.  You have already come through one of the hardest parts.  Deciding what, when and whom is going to do it.  I'm sure you will do fine.

Lois
Diagnosed 07/08   1.2 x 1.1 cm. left AN Retosigmoid surgery 08/08 with Dr. Bartels  @ Tampa General Hospital

denisecarey

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 05:55:56 am »
Hi all

I will b having op in heath hospital in cardiff wales UK. Denise
age 36, live in UK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 06:36:54 am »
surgeons r going in behind ear not sure what that is called he didnt say,

That would be retrosigmoid.

Good luck on Thursday, Denise!

You'll be a postie soon  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 06:41:49 am »
Jan~
If it is behind the ear, couldn't  it be  a translab too?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 06:44:33 am »
Yea, now that you mention it, I guess it could be.

I always think of translab as going through the ear - but there is a scar behind the ear also (just like retrosigmoid).

Okay, Denise, so you are either having retrosigmoid or translab.  Clears that up  ;)

Jan

denisecarey

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 02:15:17 pm »
Hello every1 im back had op with no probs on 3rd it was retro not translab, I am now ssd, have swallowing issues and cannot cry out of 1 eye (but that eye blinks????) was told op went welll and those seem to be only issues I have at the moment (well very unsteady on feet and get very dizzy).

to tired to say much else will keep u all upto date.

Denise
age 36, live in UK