Author Topic: How can I cope?  (Read 8911 times)

sarahinPA

Re: How can I cope?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 07:53:38 pm »
Roey,
Good job on looking at your situation in a positive way! I also have tried to take this approach, and yes, some days are worse than others, but the people on this group have been such an amazing supprt for me.

My first suggestion is to try and find a support group near you, this helps to visualize others who have gone through it too and you can see what great lives they are living. Second, research and post away! I have posted about lots of things and always get wonderful answers from my ANA friends!

Think positive, it sounds that if you do have an AN it is small and you might be eligable for CyberKnife or Gamma Knife. These treatments protect your hearing as well as some of the other nerves, balance and faical. But remember, damage that is done is already done and you may have to live with some of these things. I had Gamma Knife in 2010 for a 2.2cm AN. There is a 2% chance of regrowth after the GK and well, I was one of the lukcy 2% :(  Just found out that my AN has begun growing again, and I go for Microsurgical removal TransLab approach next Friday the 29th. Im only 26 years old and the effects that this will have on me are very scary. I have choosen to try and save my facial nerve, and sacrifice my hearing, music is also a big part of my life, and I know this will be an adjustment but it will be okay.

AS for the other members of your family possibly having an AN, well my doctor told me along time ago that if the AN is genetic it is usually on both sides of the brain, so the likelyhood of this being the problem of your family members might be slim, but you may want to encourage them to get tested.

I learned through all of this to not let things go, our bodies tell us something is wrong for a reason, and we should take these signs seriously. For me, I had faical numbness for 6 months before EVER mentioning it to ANYONE!!! I was also have these weird headaches, that felt like a knife going through my head on the right side. as soon as i told my doctor about the numbness, he ordered the MRI and the next day I was called and told about my AN (decemeber 23, 2009; Merry Christmas to me)

Anyways, keep your head up, there is tons of support here and I hope that you can find peace until you have more information.
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

Chances3

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 10:13:02 am »
Hi Mark,

I love the attitude.  You fight everyday mate.  Stay strong both mentally and physically, especially your legs.
It really helps to keep your legs strong for balance issues.  keep us all posted, everyone really cares on this site.

God Bless.

roey

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 10:30:36 am »
Hi all,

I had my scan 2 hours ago.  Was horrendous to say the least.  They tried 5 times to inject the dye into me, everytime my veins just kept popping.  They tried in the middle of my right arm, then left, then right hand, then left wrist and finally got it in my left hand. For someone who is terrified of needles this was my absolute worst nightmare but by the 5th time I really didnt care anymore. Consultation is August 10th.

With regards to new symptoms, I keep getting an electrical pain in my right hand, quite often and very painful.  Weird tingling in areas on my face too.

Will keep everyone posted.

Playing the waiting game again :(

RoEy

New girl

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 03:08:11 pm »
Hi Roey,

I had the same experience with the contrast injection!  I am also not a fan of needles.  I had a tech on each arm trying to see who could get the injection done while I was trying not to move.  Not my idea of fun.  I'm glad you made it through since the scan is important.  They told me to drink a lot of water next time and that should help.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

-d
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

LisaP

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 05:15:17 pm »
Hi Roey

I have been playing the waiting game now for 3.5 years.  Best wishes and good luck.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

roey

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 11:48:57 am »
Hi Lisa P,

I really can't see the benefit of waiting and watching.  It's inevitable that it will eventually need to be removed.  I really feel for you.

All the best,

RoEy

roey

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 11:18:41 am »
Well I had my results today.  They have all come back clear.  They want to scan me in a years time to check again but he said the scans were very enhanced due to the dye and they all looked normal.  In his words he said "you're home and dry".  Thrilled they have come back clear but just seems odd with all the symptoms I've had.  Think I have to put a lot of it down to stress as it's been a crazy year so far.  Back in the gym now and feeling fitter.  Hopefully I can now move on.

RoEy

Kaybo

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 11:43:35 am »
So glad you got good news!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 01:41:48 pm »
Mark ~

Congratulations on that fabulous news!  I'm very pleased for you and hope you can put your AN experience behind you and move on to the rest of your life.  No explanations for the earlier symptoms but stress relief may end up being the best medicine. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.