Author Topic: Best Wishes to Palace  (Read 18812 times)

Mark

Re: Best Wishes to Palace
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2006, 11:55:55 pm »
Palace,

Good luck on your last day of CK treatment at Stanford tomorrow. Remember to have the traditional celebratory luch and wine toast down the street at the California Cafe ( if you don't like wine, the adult beverage of your choice is fine  :D.

On the CPSG site one of your posts dealt with hearing preservation rates after CK treatments. I'm not sure how much the Docs who monito that board will say, but I'll cut and paste the study done at Stanford by Adler, Chang, Gibbs which details the Stanford CK results to date. I figure that's about as close to home as it could get in terms of a relevant study  ;D

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15918941&itool=iconabstr&query_hl=21

2005 Jun;56(6):1254-61; discussion 1261-3.    Related Articles, Links
    Click here to read
    Staged stereotactic irradiation for acoustic neuroma.

Chang SD, Gibbs IC, Sakamoto GT, Lee E, Oyelese A, Adler JR Jr.

Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA. sdchang@stanford.edu

OBJECTIVE: Stereotactic radiosurgery has proven effective in the treatment of acoustic neuromas. Prior reports using single-stage radiosurgery consistently have shown excellent tumor control, but only up to a 50 to 73% likelihood of maintaining hearing at pretreatment levels. Staged, frame-based radiosurgery using 12-hour interfraction intervals previously has been shown by our group to achieve excellent tumor control while increasing the rate of hearing preservation at 2 years to 77%. The arrival of CyberKnife (Accuray, Inc., Sunnyvale, CA) image-guided radiosurgery now makes it more practical to treat acoustic neuroma with a staged approach. We hypothesize that such factors may further minimize injury of adjacent cranial nerves. In this retrospective study, we report our experience with staged radiosurgery for managing acoustic neuromas. METHODS: Since 1999, the CyberKnife has been used to treat more than 270 patients with acoustic neuroma at Stanford University. Sixty-one of these patients have now been followed up for a minimum of 36 months and form the basis for the present clinical investigation. Among the treated patients, the mean transverse tumor diameter was 18.5 mm, whereas the total marginal dose was either 18 or 21 Gy using three 6- or 7-Gy fractions. Audiograms and magnetic resonance imaging were obtained at 6-months intervals after treatment for the first 2 years and then annually thereafter. RESULTS: Of the 61 patients with a minimum of 36 months of follow-up (mean, 48 mo), 74% of patients with serviceable hearing (Gardner-Robinson Class 1-2) maintained serviceable hearing at the last follow-up, and no patient with at least some hearing before treatment lost all hearing on the treated side. Only one treated tumor (2%) progressed after radiosurgery; 29 (48%) of 61 decreased in size and 31 (50%) of the 61 tumors were stable. In no patients did new trigeminal dysfunction develop, nor did any patient experience permanent injury to their facial nerve; two patients experienced transient facial twitching that resolved in 3 to 5 months. CONCLUSION: Although still preliminary, these results indicate that improved tumor dose homogeneity and a staged treatment regimen may improve hearing preservation in acoustic neuroma patients undergoing stereotactic radiosurgery.

Good luck Tomorrow

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

matti

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2006, 12:04:34 am »
Palace - I've got my pink pirate socks on for ya and sending big hugs!! I will be celebrating along with you tomorrow ;D

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Raydean

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2006, 05:23:12 am »
Socks are on and it's time to PARTY!!!!  Let the celebration begin tonight.   We're all doing a happy dance for you !  Know that you are in my  thoughts.

Big Hugs
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

flier58

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2006, 10:17:44 am »
Hi Mark,
Just wanted to thank you for letting us on all the research you have done and adding the links.  It sure made my research less "labor intensive".
Flier58

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2006, 04:58:19 pm »
Mark,

Thank you so much for all the data you provided.  It was my last day of treatment and I just wasn't up to the computer.  I can hardly sit here now.  This thing took more of a "toll" on me.  I not even fatigued......exhausted.  I suppose that is to be expected.  I must do the usual MRI, audiologist and then doctor consultation in six months. 

GANG.....WANNA HEAR THE REALLY GOOD NEWS?  (since you followed my steroid problem)  I haven't had to take that pill yet.  *(Decadron)  I'm thrilled and the doctor said, "If you make it to next Wed., then you probably won't need it."

I appologize that I don't have the strength for other posts right now.  Thrilled and exhausted that it is all *over* for now, anyway.

Just to let you know..........

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

vjharris

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2006, 06:56:28 pm »
Way to Go!
Glad to hear that the treatment is behind you. Get plenty of rest, you had a physically and emotionally draining few days.
We're pulling for you to have NO side effects (other than death to the intruder!) Keep us posted.
vjh
2.2x2.37 right side meningioma or acoustic neuroma
Gamma Knife Dec 5, 2006

flier58

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2006, 08:34:04 pm »
Palace,
Your're done!!!!   Now try to rest as much as you can.  I needed at least 3 days (not everyone) and let's hope you don't need to take any steroids.  Hurray!!!
Flier58

marystro

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2006, 11:40:32 pm »
Palace,

Congrats on completing the treatment!  I was also very exhausted the first day.  Not sure it was due to anticipation and anxiety than the treatment itself.  I slept well on day 1 and just back to normal sleepwise the last 2 days.  I tool the little purple pills as I was told like a good little girl.  Sleep well and get a lot of rest.  The mountains must be nice and peaceful up there.

One more AN "zapped" heading towards AN heaven (or hell  :D).  Hip hip hurray!!
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

Obita

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2006, 05:13:06 pm »
Hi Palace:

You deserve to rest.  When you are up to it, let us know how you feel as a Postie.

Congrats and happy necrosis!!  ::) Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Derek

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2006, 05:28:52 pm »
Hi there Palace...

Congrats on getting through your treatment sessions....time to chill out, put your feet up and take some well earned rest.

Best wishes for a speedy and successful recovery.

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2006, 06:15:09 pm »
Palace,

welcome to the wonderful world of being a "postie". Thrilled you don't have to use Decadron and hoping that you continue on this great path.  You may have some good days and not-so-good days (yeah, the fatigue is a kicker!) but know that it will get easier. Have patience... it truly is the key.

Congrats!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2006, 09:49:36 pm »
Hello,

I have more strength today; not as "totally wiped out."  I have to admit, I could hardly believe it when I saw my profile signature as a "postie."  The time finally made it here.  It is strange as yesterday my face didn't feel like it got socked and today it feels wholloped.  (or however you spell that)  So, the tumor is on and off the nerve, is that it? 

What was so nice was to see all of your "congratulations."  We all work hard to get this as far behind us as we can.  I have great respect for those who went through the major surgery, itself.  I have had my experience with other surgeries that were extremely bad and risky but, in the head area.  My hat is off to every one of you.

I'm still trying to slide by with just the CK.  (and no, I haven't had to take the Decadron)   :)

Thank you all,

Palace
single sided deafness

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2006, 06:02:05 am »
Palace,
I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up!  It sounds like you are doing great and amoung the posties now!!  Get lots of rest and take good care of yourself.  Hmmmmmmmmm, I wonder if all our Ans have a forum somewhere?
Hugs,
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

BevM

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2006, 09:17:24 am »
As a recent "graduate" of Stanford CK treatment myself I send my thoughts and prayers no side effects and ........shrinkage!  I think we should have a special thread for post CK progress!

Best Wishes,

Bev

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2006, 04:40:35 pm »
 :-\

Hello,

For those interested in the update on the possible steroid........I had a very quick incident at noon today.  Everything was starting to spin and my ear BLASTED loudly this static noise like something shorting out on a radio.  (old style radio, if that makes any sense)  I had leaned over to put something down in front of my big male dog and then something in front of the little red girl dog.  (littermates)  I stood back up and "it happened."  I sat down quickly and stayed put to read.  So far, I haven't take then Decadron but, that was a frightening scare. 

I'm taking Vit E, drinking lots of C juices and took an Asprin today for good luck.  I'm still hopeful to escape the steroid pill.

The energy level is still at the exhaustion stage.  I was a very wired-type before.  I put the trash cans out on the street and took a walk today.  (wasn't easy)  The energy does come back somewhat. someday....right?

Anyway, that is where the swelling situation stands on four days out of Stanford, so far.

Again, thank you all so much for your helping me through such an awful time (and I have had many) in my life.  It does help with knowledge and you people as my friends to be there.  There isn't anything like it........to have those who have, "been there and done that."  (they know what you mean and can communicate)

Sincerely,

Palace
single sided deafness