Author Topic: Question on Symptoms  (Read 17339 times)

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
Re: Question on Symptoms
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 08:25:04 am »
I must say in the past year, I have had 5 hearing tests....no two the same, getting better and worse and better again. 4 different people did them, all at ENT offices, 3 with doctorates. I can TELL my hearing fluctuates. Some days I can understand quite a bit in my bad ear, other days I hear just a little and yet understand NOTHING. It is greatly variable.

Take care and good luck,

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

JulieW4

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 10:30:19 am »
I'm definitely with everyone else on this about getting a second opinion and another MRI.  When I first started losing my hearing my doctor said it was hydrops and I did the diurectics for a while and also some steroids which didn't help.  My doc also said that it could turn into Meniere's disease.  When I lost more of my hearing a few years later I wish I had done another MRI instead of waiting another 10 years. 

If another MRI shows nothing then at least you will know instead of wondering if it is an AN.  Good luck and keep us updated.

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2008, 03:43:42 pm »
Hi Paul,

I can relate to so many people on this post about symptoms that come and go.  I feel like I have "good" and "bad" hearing days which can be a trip on the mind.  My hearing tests are usually all over the place, too.  But there is one frequency that seems to steadily decline in my AN ear.  But, I have had a frequency in one hearing test go from 25 one year, and then the next year it is a 5.  Then the next year it might be a 15 and down to 0 the next.  I don't think those sound booth hearing tests are always right on.  And, do they always use the same words in the word recognition test?  I've just about learned all of them over the years.  Kind of like the letters on the eye exam.  I am also sensitive to loud noises in the AN ear at times.  When I watch TV, I notice I have to go up and down on volume because of sound flucuation.  I have high pitch noises in my AN at times, but it doesn't last very long.  I am in W & W since 2005 so I think I am hypersenstive to a lot of things most commonly associated with an AN when in fact they just might be something normal going on.  I would be inclined to have another doctor give me an evaluation if I were you.  I think it would be better to err on the side of safety with a MRI.  Best to catch these things early, plus all of the guessing and wondering would just drive me mad.  Best wishes for getting the answers you need to get peace of mind.  And, get the meds for the MRI. 

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

fbarbera

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2008, 06:16:38 pm »
I'm no doctor but the MRI can be done in 1/2 hour and can definitively rule out the AN diagnosis.  If the MRI shows no AN, then you can move on to the possibility of Meniere's.  I am not sure why it makes sense to put your body through a month-long treatment regimen for a condition you may not have. 

The AN diagnosis is quite rare so it is possible the ENT doesn't have a ton of experience with the symptoms.  Having spent time reading up on this forum, you may well know more about the symptoms than he does.  As others have noted, intermittent symptoms are very common among ANers.

I would consider just telling the doctor, "No, I want an MRI now."

Good luck.

Francesco

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2008, 06:23:58 pm »
Francesco -

some very valid points.  I agree 100%.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pswift00

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2008, 12:38:08 pm »
Some of the more innovative hospitals now have open MRI machines.  It's no more confining than sitting on a chair and watching tv. Maybe there's one in your area.  Something to consider.

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2008, 08:25:32 pm »
Hi Paul,

Other than the hearing loss and occasional tinnitus, I have been lucky with not having too many symptoms.  Only the hearing loss is permanent.  All the other symptoms (dizzy, loss of balance) just visit me briefly for a small "hello" to let me know they are still around, and then they leave me for months at a time.  I hope you find the answers you are looking for.  In my opinion, I wouldn't stop until they can rule in/out an AN for sure.  I haven't read all the posts, so you may know by now. As far as the MRI goes, I am a surgical nurse, and sometimes we have to go the MRI suite in the hospital with an anesthesiologist for patients of all ages who have troubles laying still or are claustrophobic, etc.  If all fails, they can certainly make you go nighty night for the MRI so they can get a good scan for a good diagnosis.  Yes, there are open scanners, but there are downfalls as to what can be seen clearly on them as well.  MRI's are small for a reason.  Be sure to talk to your doctors to see what is right for you.  Only you know what will make you fell better about all of this, and then don't stop until you have the information you need. Good luck with everything!!

Amy  ;)
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2008, 11:17:13 pm »
Amy -

just wanted to say thanks for being a surgical nurse.

I had BAHA implant surgery in March and the nurse who sat near my head and talked to me during the entire procedure was a Godsend.  I had local anesthetic and although I didn't feel any pain some of the sounds of the surgery were a little freaky to say the least.  My nurse was incredible and did a great job of taking my mind off what was going on.  IMO doctors get a lot of the glory, but sometimes patients forget that doctors couldn't do their job without nurses  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2008, 06:21:15 pm »
Thanks Jan....   we sure try.  Sometimes it's the human factor that can be lost and it's up to nurses to bring the medicine/science and the human needs together.  I love what I do because we are constantly learning.  Glad to hear your OR RN helped.  Most people forget about us because of the meds, and that's OK too :):)
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2008, 08:31:29 pm »
Be persistant, if you don't get an MRI you will just worry until you do, you need peace of mind. I make a point of closing my eyes right away before going into the machine so I can't tell where I am and it helps.  Keep us posted.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

LADavid

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2008, 05:59:07 pm »
After having survived the tube o' doom yesterday with all the spririt sucking going on, I can say that it did get easier the second time around when you know what's going on.  It's still not fun.  But as has been mentioned, drugs work and it seems as though doctors don't mind prescribing them -- even the radiologist yesterday admitted that the first time he was shoved into the cylinder of evil, he freaked.  So I think it's pretty common knowledge that a lot of people can't deal with it without something to calm them.  And Jan, I did it without any rum.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

cindyj

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2008, 07:18:07 pm »
Yep, I've got my valium ready and waiting for my MRI next week!  I did ok with the last open MRI, but I'm not taking any chances with a closed one.  Have heard numerous folks here say they use a bit of help to get through...

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2008, 09:52:18 am »
I must be the only one who actually enjoys my MRI's. 

I have 4 kids - to be able to lie down quietly and listen to music for 45 minutes is almost like a day at the spa!  Ok, well, maybe not that good, but close.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 10:04:00 am »
Lori~
That is exactly what I told David before he went the other day!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 10:16:02 am »
K -

James just went for an MRI of his back the other day too - I told him I was jealous!  But he went to a different imaging place than I did and they didn't have headphones and music at his!  Still, the nap would have been worth it even without the music!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.