Author Topic: Books regarding brains  (Read 21788 times)

Palace

• Palace
Re: Books regarding brains
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 03:32:00 pm »
Phyl:

I will get this one for my Kindle reading while traveling on the plane.  I just got back from seeing my AN boyfriend in New England, over the holiday season.  I like the Kindle for easy reading and some books I want to keep in hardback for my library.  Thanks so much and do you have any special sections in this book you might highlight for us patients?  Happy New Year, Phyl!

RE: Living Well with a Hidden Disability:  Stacy Taylor
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 04:31:19 pm »
Staypoz:

RE:

"I had Brain Surgery, What's Your Excuse?" 

*I use Amazon to ship items up into the redwood area; I'm a couple hours below San Francisco.  I'll research that book.  Do you have anymore input regarding this intriguing
book?  Thanks for the new insight and help.

Pal
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 04:36:06 pm »
james e:

"The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge, MD sounds like it is directed closely for AN patients and I will certainly look into this information/read. 

I used to be very good at spelling and with the spell-checker on the computer, I'm falling short.  It's like the gadgets for math. 

We all need to go back to "thinking."

Thanks again for participating in this helpful thread,

Palace
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 11:39:33 am »
single sided deafness

staypoz

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 01:54:48 pm »
Palace, regarding the "I had Brain Surgery..." book.  My sister gave it to me pre-surgery.  For me, it was a comfort to read about someone else's journey -- the good, the bad, and the ugly -- and emergence on the other side.  It's been seven years since I read it, so I don't remember many details, but I do remember one very concrete suggestion the author made about needing clothes that button down, as opposed to pull over, post surgery.  That's what I packed for the hospital and I'm so glad I did, what with the dressings from the AN surgery and CSF leak repair. 

staypoz

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 11:16:54 am »
Hi Everyone:

This is interesting any suggestions especially for new patients.  It's pertinent to know as much as possible on your own as, we don't get all clear answers from the medical team---at least in the beginning.  People who are experienced can certainly help the most in the first-hand up-to-date information which they have gone through and hopefully, continued with a new view of quality life, appreciating more what we/they do have.  True, it's a "high price to pay" but, maybe we come out better people!

I went one step further and I'm now reading "Lab 257" by Michael Christopher Carroll.  True, this isn't exactly a brain book yet, I always wonder where I got the AN.  (will never really know)  There are so many germs, hidden government experiments and the environment we now live in isn't so pure.  The skies, the ground, the electronics we use, the dangerous toxic polluted work-place are all considerations regarding our brain function reaction (possible deterioration) and health play a role in the quality and longevity of our existence.

This is a bit "off-topic read" yet, perhaps those of you who are interested in research to keep our brain "intact," what is left of if <grin> or those of you looking for an interesting read post-surgery, that is another book of my choice.

If you want a funny read after surgery I might suggest one that a former AN patient recommended to me: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe.  I then since read, Hippie Dictionary.  If you want to get away from your brain then travel with the book, Hand To Mouth To India or the old book  (got the 50 anniversary edition) On the Road.  (all these are easily found on Amazon as you all know by now)

Happy reading and keep the brain books happening.

Thanks for you help,

Palace

single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 12:54:48 pm »
Hello Fellow Patients:

Here are a couple more books I haven't read yet-

The Human Brain Book by Rita Carter, Susan Aldridge, Martyn Page and Steve Parker (Hardcover - Aug 31, 2009)

The Brain Book, Know Your Own Mind and How To Use It by Peter Russell (2010)

Thanks for your support,

Palace
single sided deafness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 02:12:53 pm »
Palace ~

Interesting thread with lots of useful reading suggestions.

This comment (post#20) motivated me to offer the observation that ANs were were first observed well over 100 years ago, long before most of the things you mentioned existed although sanitary conditions, generally, were far worse in 1912 than today.  I might also mention that medical researchers have suggested defects in tumor suppressor genes as a possible cause of ANs. 

I went one step further and I'm now reading "Lab 257" by Michael Christopher Carroll.  True, this isn't exactly a brain book yet, I always wonder where I got the AN.  (will never really know)  There are so many germs, hidden government experiments and the environment we now live in isn't so pure.  The skies, the ground, the electronics we use, the dangerous toxic polluted work-place are all considerations regarding our brain function reaction (possible deterioration) and health play a role in the quality and longevity of our existence.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 02:36:49 pm »
Jim:

Good to see you and a sincere "Happy New Year to you, your people close to you and animals." 

First Jim, I want you to know I realize how true this is and how much I appreciate all information from you:

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Yes, I believe this and tumors throughout the body seem to accompany AN patients or so I read; here is part of your post: medical researchers have suggested defects in tumor suppressor genes as a possible cause of ANs. 

Regards,

Palace

single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 02:33:12 am »
Let us not forget to order this one for our own Valentine's Day: 

Book of the Mind: Key Writings on the Mind from Plato and the Buddha Through Shakespeare, Descartes, and Freud to the Latest Discoveries.

Pal
single sided deafness

LisaM

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 02:54:11 pm »
 I'd be interested in any books about the brain that are being passed along.  Thanks for this info! 

Best,
Lisa M
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 07:44:28 pm »
Palace, great to see you here again!!  ;D

Left Neglected was a wonderful book and very interesting, but it didn't have anything to do with ANs or the symptoms/side-effects. 

I also really loved "I Had Brain Surgery, What's Your Excuse?" 

Some very good suggestions in this thread; I'll have to check them out.

Best "books" I know regarding ANs are actually the informational brochures published by the ANA - and free for the asking.  They are invaluable resources for anyone with an AN.

Hope to see you here on a regular basis; you've been missed.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

staypoz

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 11:43:46 am »
For those with AN post-op head pain, there is a book, The Pain Chronicles, by Melanie Thernstrom. In it she interviews an AN patient. 

staypoz

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 03:25:36 pm »
Staypoz:

I can use this book, The Pain Chronicles as, I was bit in the face a few days ago (Monday @ noon) by a Great Dane.  I went a long distance to Urgent Care.  (got a current tetanus shot and given Vicodin when the pain began to worsen)  The Vicodin did no good and I was sent to ER waiting for a plastic-surgeon to be called in.  I got out around midnight after being sutured.   (at least 50+ stitches and I'm allergic to Vicryl sutures so, other material was used)  I went to an all-night-pharmacy, then back up in the mountains and in the house nearly one in the morning, the next day/night.  I get the threads removed next week.  I'm dealing with the owners of the dogs' homeowner's insurance since it happened at their house.  Thanks for the latest book suggestion, "Staypoz."

Vicryl (polyglactin 910) is an absorbable, synthetic, braided suture, manufactured by Ethicon Inc., a subsidiary of Johnson and Johnson. [1] It is indicated for soft tissue approximation and ligation. The suture holds its tensile strength for approximately three to four weeks in tissue, and is completely absorbed by hydrolysis within 60 days. Vicryl and other polyglycolic acid sutures may also be treated for more rapid breakdown in rapidly healing tissues such as mucous membrane, or impregnated with triclosan to provide antimicrobial protection of the suture line.

Although the name "Vicryl" is a trademark of Ethicon, the term "vicryl" has been used generically referring to any synthetic absorbable suture made primarily of polyglycolic acid. Other brands of polyglycolic acid suture include Surgicryl, Biovek, Visorb, Polysorb and Dexon, all of which are manufactured by different companies.

I hope you get tested first for any suture material used before brain surgery.

I'm on Oxycodin for a short time during this latest trauma.  I'll be fine---takes time, like most injuries.

We can get most brain books on Amazon and keep them for ourselves.  It's difficult to rely on other people.  Stay as independent as possible. 

Be well all of you.......

Palace
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:26:32 pm by Palace »
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 07:05:23 pm »