Author Topic: How Can you be sure it's Acoustic Neuroma?  (Read 3927 times)

BDauzart

How Can you be sure it's Acoustic Neuroma?
« on: July 04, 2014, 08:32:12 pm »
Hi, my name is Brooke and i'm inquiring information on my husband's behalf. Recently, I did a google search "Dizzy drunk feeling" and one of the first links to pop up was a forum on www.anausa.org. I read throughout the thread which was started by B28 with the topic "Feeling Drunk/buzzed while driving" - I read the comments out loud to my husband and he said it sounded exactly what he feels. At first I had no idea, what the forum or symptoms belonged to. After doing research, I discover the website was designated for Acoustic Neuroma. Needless to say, I'm panicked and emotional. My husband had an MRI in 2011 that was clean. He also did a hearing test along with an equilibrium test that consisted of putting water in his ears while he laid on wide table. My husbands symptoms consist of:
Dizzy/Drunk feeling, especially while driving
Hard of hearing (sometimes) in one ear
Which leads to, difficult of understanding speech (sometimes)
Headache
Numbness of the face
Loss of balance
Ringing in ear (sometimes)

He mentioned to me that in 2011 the symptoms were really bad and then went away for a while. In the thread I mentioned before, I read by a user that she too had a similar experience.

I'm unsure if I'm freaking out for no reason - but I would appreciate any insight this forum may be able to provide me.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: How Can you be sure it's Acoustic Neuroma?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 09:49:40 pm »
Hi Brooke! Glad to meet you!  These AN's we get, they are somewhat rare.  There are a lot of symptoms (such as balance, lost of vision and tinnitus) that can look like an AN, but is not.  You mentioned that he got an MRI, do you remember if it was with contrast? MRI's w/contrast is the best way to pick these things up.  So if all that was clean, you can breath a little easier... but we are not doctors here, just people who have lived the life.  Every person's experience is unique.  I would suggest continuing to seek out what's causing his symptoms, just so you will have a clear conscious of what it's NOT!  Good luck and take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: How Can you be sure it's Acoustic Neuroma?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:38:13 pm »
My husbands symptoms consist of:
Dizzy/Drunk feeling, especially while driving
Hard of hearing (sometimes) in one ear
Which leads to, difficult of understanding speech (sometimes)
Headache
Numbness of the face
Loss of balance
Ringing in ear (sometimes)

Well, those symptoms are either from an AN or something as bad or worse.

Sorry, but I do mean to alarm you.

I suggest he arrange an MRI with contrast ASAP and figure it out for sure.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0