Author Topic: GK 6 month MRI check up  (Read 2580 times)

jfspainter

GK 6 month MRI check up
« on: February 01, 2013, 02:08:49 pm »
January 16, 2013 I had my 6 month check up MRI for my 2.3cm AN. My doctor was please with the results that I do not have to have another MRI until Oct. (9 months). He said My AN had a very definite dark brown spot in the center. So I guess this is very good news.

I told him my hearing was just about gone I my left ear and could I have some steroids to reduce the swelling. He didn't really want to give me the steroid. I told him that was what others who lost their we're doing to preserve it. So he reluctantly gave me dexamethosone. 2MG per pill. 4 for two days, 3 for two days, 2 for 2 days and 1 for two days. I am on day four with 3 pills and it's not really working and my facial numbness is worse and not change in the hearing. I am seeing my oncologist/radiologist on Wednesday and will check with him. I sort of feel 2 MGs is a very weak dose, almost placebo effect. I do hope some of the hearing comes back as my left ear was once my better ear. I am now wearing super hearing aids which are helping. I have worn aids since I was 6 and now 67.

Thanks, Jane

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: GK 6 month MRI check up
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 06:37:49 pm »
Have you looked at your MRI images? If not, I suggest you get them from your providers for each MRI that was done. Then generally can put them on a CD that you can view on your computer. I have all of mine and will continue to get them.

Meantime, I found a series of MRI images on google images that depict the tumor's progress over time after Gamma Knife. They'll give you an idea of what you (and I) can expect (or hope for) over time.

Image B is likely 6 months after GK and C, D, and E are likely to have been done at perhaps annual intervals.

http://www.jaypeejournals.com/eJournals/_eJournals%5C105%5C2011%5CJanuary-April%5Cimages/7-table-3.jpg

I'm guessing that the tumor size in Image A is about 2cm to 2.5cm based on how my own tumor appears on my MRIs.

As for hearing, when I first realized that I had significant hearing loss in my right (Dec 2011) ear I went through the steroid and antibiotic treatment with no results. While everybody else's mileage might vary, my tumor was only 9mm when it destroyed my hearing on the AN side.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

nftwoed

Re: GK 6 month MRI check up
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 02:29:09 pm »
Hi Jane;

I guess if a person wants to submit to steroid ... Just my feeling, and I wish you the best, but it seems likely to me you took a hearing hit if you had a pretty bad hearing loss before. The cochlear ciliary hair cells are sometimes damaged by radiation. Esp. the outer two rows.
   Steroids are hard on the internal organs so I'm guessing at the reasoning of your Dr. both hearing and organs. I don't mean to remove from your hopefulness.